Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast
Default Squats Cure Cancer (The Saga of big val)

Quote:
Originally Posted by big valsalva View Post
So I'll close out this journal (or this portion of it anyway) by signing off in true Rest/Pause fashion. I'll end it with a comma,
...and pick up where I left off in my new and final journal. No, this isn't a new approach. This is a continuation of a life and a lifestyle. Simply a new page with a new title for a new man with new determination to SFW and kick cancer out of my life.

I won't be lifting for a few weeks, so this journal may go dormant. I may begin by using it as a place to simply express my thoughts and emotions. Feel free to use it as a guestbook. But, praise God! I WILL be lifting again soon, and when I do, look out record book!

Cancer has no place in my body.

Weakness has no place in my body.

Fear has no place in my life.

Stay tuned. Remarkable things will happen.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2010, 11:19 PM   #2
strkout35
Max Brawn
Points: 10,027, Level: 66 Points: 10,027, Level: 66 Points: 10,027, Level: 66
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

strkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machine

great attitude big Val. good luck with the treatment and what not. i'm sure you'll kick it in the arse and get back to lifting very shortly. best of luck my man!

_________Goals:__
Squat:______275
Deadlift:_____315
Bench:______185
Press:_______135

"Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe"
strkout35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:44 PM   #3
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by strkout35 View Post
great attitude big Val. good luck with the treatment and what not. i'm sure you'll kick it in the arse and get back to lifting very shortly. best of luck my man!
Thank you!

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
Old 07-14-2010, 11:47 PM   #4
kman025
1st MOM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

kman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machine

in for the new log. i hope the best for you and make sure to keep us posted
User owns 1x Pumping Iron (25th Anniversary Special Edition)
Old 07-15-2010, 10:54 PM   #5
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

I wanted to get a brief squat workout in tonight, but I had some loose ends to tie up with my band. I'm kicking myself over not getting this taken care of sooner. But how was I to know? I had a sore throat (which I attributed to seasonal alergies and the accompanying post nasal drip). And as far as the sore under my tongue, I figured it was just my body rebelling against my steady diet of peanuts and Rockstars. Anyway, I had since May to get this looked at and I didn't. The bummer of it is there was a stretch of time when my band was not playing. Now, we're looking at 5 shows in the next 4 weeks. I've never missed a performance, so we've never had to line up a substitute. I don't know who to call. I'm going to miss one show for sure, and probably will be a hurtin' unit for at least two others.

Well, over the course of this weekend I'm going to try to get in a couple of workouts hitting squats twice and bench and deads once each. I want my body to remember what pushing through feels like. I want to remain strong so I can recover quickly.

After my surgery, I'm going to be on a 10 pound restriction for at least two weeks. After that I'll probably try a couple weeks of Starting Strength style reacclimation. Then if I'm feeling strong by the first part of September, I'll retest my singles and resume my regularly schduled programing. That's my plan for now anyway.

A cool thing happened at work today. There's this lady who is a breast cancer survivor going on four years (?) now. She was telling me about this American Cancer Society Relay for Life event in our town this weekend. From my understanding it is just an all night walk-a-thon, I guess. Anyway, participants can buy these "luminaries" (little bags with candles in them) and decorate them for friends and loved ones, etc. Anywho, my friend told me she has already bought and decorated a luminary in my honor. big val cried again.

All for now. If I'm off work early tomorrow, I'll squat.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:57 PM   #6
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman025 View Post
in for the new log. i hope the best for you and make sure to keep us posted
kman, thank you, bud. This is going to be a slow mover for now, but it's sure to pick up. I can tell you how the story (Saga) will go. It's all about overcoming adversity and slaying giants and other mythical beasts...like death.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:57 AM   #7
jslep
Max Brawn
Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 15 years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: bench and moar bench
Fav Supp: red meat
jslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beast

i just got caught up on your sittuation val and i'm very sorry you have came upon this road block. but that's all it is for you is a road block...a simple detour in life. i have no doubt in my mind that with your strength and determination you will over come and be good as new in no time. i think cancer is one of those things that people really want to believe will never happen to them but the reality is it can truly happen to anyone. stay strong my friend in both mind and body. i wish nothing but the best for you and your family and wish you a speedy recovery and quick return to SFW!!
jslep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:04 AM   #8
jslep
Max Brawn
Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 15 years
Fav Exercise: bench and moar bench
Fav Supp: red meat
jslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beast

.....oh BTW whenever you need that lawn mowed just hollar!
jslep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:18 AM   #9
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslep View Post
i just got caught up on your sittuation val and i'm very sorry you have came upon this road block. but that's all it is for you is a road block...a simple detour in life. i have no doubt in my mind that with your strength and determination you will over come and be good as new in no time. i think cancer is one of those things that people really want to believe will never happen to them but the reality is it can truly happen to anyone. stay strong my friend in both mind and body. i wish nothing but the best for you and your family and wish you a speedy recovery and quick return to SFW!!
Amen, brother. It's a road block. Thank you for your wishes, sir. I aim to make a full recovery. PL meets are on hold for now, but certainly in my future. That's what this thread is about, my journey back and beyond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslep View Post
.....oh BTW whenever you need that lawn mowed just hollar!
Do you have a weed whacker? I haven't run mine in a couple of years, and the last time I used it, I had a terrible time keeping it running.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:20 AM   #10
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I wanted to say something witty to start this new log right, but all I could think of was this....

Cancer to a lifter is merely a forced deload before the next PR.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote