Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 01-19-2012, 08:51 PM   #761
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Hope all is well.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2012, 11:28 PM   #762
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Hope all is well.
Sheesh...

All is well indeed. It has been too long since I've been a contributor. I'm sorry. I've been extremely lazy. I started a new job in October, and got out of my "old routine." The new job lets me go home at 3:30 every day as opposed to 5:15 - 6:00 at the old job. So I found it quite refreshing to get off work, drive home, shave, shower, get into my jammies, and be kicked back in the recliner by 4:15. It was a nice break, but a lazy one, and one that may have jeopardized a goal of mine.

I've resumed lifting. Really, I did. A couple of months ago. I have learned that in order to get my strength back quickly, nothing works (for me anyway) like a short run of madcow 5x5. So that's what i did...or tried to do anyway. I had problems getting into the gym on a regular basis to keep the prescribed three workouts per week. Family. Wife's work/rehearsal/performance schedule, hockey, etc. I'm not faulting anyone, but I'm just saying. there was a battle going on for my time.

So I pressed on in fits and starts. In the process, I compromised the madcow routine and... *whisper* I effed with the program. (gasp!) I ended up cutting out the third workout of the week. It worked for me for a while. I wouldn't recommend anyone do it unless they already have a firm foundation, and know their body very well.

Anyway, I hit a crossroads a couple of weeks ago. I sat on the couch knowing full well that I should go lift. In the back of my mind was, "If you don't go today, you might as well hang up your jockstrap forever." And you know, I would have been well with that outcome. (This dovetails nicely with another development in my life, which I won't go into right now). But at Mrs. valsalva's nagging - er I mean URGING, I went to the gym. Long story short, for various reasons, I was unable to do my customary squats that night, and again feeling sorry for myself, I sat on a bench (one made for sitting) in the corner and sulked. I was going to go home, never to train again. My reasoning was I couldn't lift on a consistant basis to make madcow work anymore. And just as I was heading up the stairs, a thought occured to me, "Um, val...there's more to lifting than madcow." How true. I had forgotten how forgiving and flexible the Wendler template could be. So I turned around, put my Chucks back on and tested my Bench. Tied a PR 1RM that night.

Well, big val's back at it again. I know in the opening post of this particular "Squats Cure Cancer" journal I said this would be my "last journal." Well, I feel a need to get out from under the cancer banner, and move on. I will be starting a new journal, or maybe smooshing all three of my journals together into one uberchronicle with several chapters. My goal is strength. My goal is health. My goal is a 500 pound deadlift by July 27, 2013 (my 50th birthday).

It's nice to be back. I've missed the love.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:29 AM   #763
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big valsalva View Post
Sheesh...

All is well indeed.
Good good.

Quote:
It has been too long since I've been a contributor. I'm sorry. I've been extremely lazy.
No need to apologize. I just got worried that you had slumped into the mire and took up long distance running full time.

Quote:
So I found it quite refreshing to get off work, drive home, shave, shower, get into my jammies, and be kicked back in the recliner by 4:15.
The earlier to the recliner, the better. That's my favorite part of the day.

Quote:
So I pressed on in fits and starts. In the process, I compromised the madcow routine and... *whisper* I effed with the program. (gasp!)
I won't tell anyone.

Quote:
And just as I was heading up the stairs, a thought occured to me, "Um, val...there's more to lifting than madcow." How true. I had forgotten how forgiving and flexible the Wendler template could be. So I turned around, put my Chucks back on and tested my Bench. Tied a PR 1RM that night.
Sounds like a good MAB TV movie of the week.

Ever thought about dropping that sucker to like an A/B just in case you don't have more than 2 days a week in you?

Quote:
I feel a need to get out from under the cancer banner, and move on. I will be starting a new journal, or maybe smooshing all three of my journals together into one uberchronicle with several chapters. My goal is strength. My goal is health. My goal is a 500 pound deadlift by July 27, 2013 (my 50th birthday).
Good goals, and I am glad to see you moving on. What else is there for us to do in life but climb the next mountain. I guess the alternative is chaining ourselves to the last.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote