Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Giggety.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2010, 07:28 AM   #82
sneezingstardust
Max Brawn
Points: 4,948, Level: 44 Points: 4,948, Level: 44 Points: 4,948, Level: 44
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

sneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributor

V, you are probably one of the most strong-willed people I know! I could learn a thing or two about your good attitude...

Quote:
Originally Posted by big valsalva View Post
Giggety.
Giggety goo!

http://www.fortheloveofcookies.wordpress.com

-------

"People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don't believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and if they can't find them, make them." - George Bernard Shaw

"Start wide, expand further, and never look back." -Arnold Schwarzenegger
sneezingstardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:41 AM   #83
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezingstardust View Post
V, you are probably one of the most strong-willed people I know! I could learn a thing or two about your good attitude...

Giggety goo!
Val is one of the best people I know. Glad to call him a friend.

And can't wait for this to be over for you.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:44 PM   #84
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Quote:
Giggety.
...and also poop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezingstardust View Post

Giggety goo!
Thanks, Sneezy. I tell you, I think the strong will and good attitude come with maturity. So much has happened in my life hat HASN'T killed me, this is just another. It's too bad it happened, because it really interrupted a couple of good things in my life, but now that it's behind me, time to press on. The weights will come back. I very sure of that. The trumpet playing...? I may need to deal with that. But here's the thing... I took up weight lifting as an eventual replacement for the day when I couldn't play trumpet at the same high caliber. When the high, loud notes go away, the big, heavy weights will still be there. After that? Maybe a marathon, or Mt. Everest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Val is one of the best people I know. Glad to call him a friend.

And can't wait for this to be over for you.
Thank you very much, BTB. I think it's almost over, because...

We just got back fom the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. I passed my swallow tests, had a couple of sutures removed from my tongue, and had my feeding tube removed. Now, I feel like a new man. And big val is HUNGRY!!! I'll be running dinner through a food processor for the next week or so, and drinking weight gainer jut to get enough calories in, but I'm back on the road to real food for real gains. I'm going to try to get back in to work next week. At least for a few hours a day. We'll see how it goes.

Next Monday I'm going back to Mayo to consult with the Oncology Radiology team. This is purly precautionary, and on an advisory basis right now. While my surgical team is confident that they got everything, and the lymph nodes are clean, they felt that the tumor was larger than they anticipated, as well as showing signs of (for a lack of a better term) "capillary activity," as though the cancer was trying to spread. So my return trip to Rochester on Monday to see if the Oncology Radiation team feels that radiation might be in my future. I don't think it will be, and if so, that is something I can do right here in my own town. Should be a minimal inconvenience at most.

So now my plan is to rest, eat up, get back to work, get back to trumpet, and get back to lifting, in that order and in the next couple of weeks. I won't be SFW right away. Probably run a SS or Stronglifts variant for a month or so, just to get some mobility back and recapture the form. When I'm feeling like it, I'll retest 1RM's, and renew my assault on records.

Thanks EVERYONE for your support, encouragement, and prayers. My wife, children, and I are very humbled and appreciative.

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
Old 08-06-2010, 03:43 AM   #85
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

I'm on my own for nutrition now. A few years ago, during an epic weigh loss attempt, I tracked my diet at sparkpeople.com. When I was lifting and esting everything in site, I wasn't worried about maintaining. Now, after surgery, and down about 16 or 17 pounds (202.5), I have some concerns. I could actually stand to lose a few more pounds (my "feel good" weight is usually around 190), but it's time to stop the freefall. So I revisited sparkpeople.com, and started monitoring things again. Here is my approx. breakdown from yesterday, 8/5/10.

Cals:2,466
Carbs:403
Fat:54
Protein:104

I think I need to try to up the protein a little bit (at least 150g), and probably whittle away at the fat. During my tube feeding, I was guaranteed 1605 calories, and 105g of protein per day. I usually tried to "eat" my way to 2100 cals or so. My goal for now is 2500 cals through the weekend, and ramp up to 2750 - 3000 by the end of next week. I'm going to try to use as much food as possible, but am not opposed to using a weight gainer once a day just to make my goal.

I have a doctor's release for going back to work on Tuesday, 8/10, but I don't know if that may have been a bit too agressive. My sleep has been all muxed up recently. I stopped by work yesterday, and my supervisor told me not to push it, and don't feel like I have to put in a full day when I do return. I'm pretty grateful for that. I also have a Short Term Disability benefit which is going to cover part of my wages until 8/31. We'll see what next week brings though.

Old 08-06-2010, 04:39 AM   #86
nighttrain
Max Brawn
Points: 10,795, Level: 68 Points: 10,795, Level: 68 Points: 10,795, Level: 68
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 20+
nighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beast

sounds like all is good in Val-sville!!!! keep on keep on buddaaay!!!!
Old 08-06-2010, 08:54 AM   #87
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I think you have a solid plan. I was actually somewhat worried that you would go into buzzsaw mode and get some fast (re:bad) bounce back weight.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:10 AM   #88
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain View Post
sounds like all is good in Val-sville!!!! keep on keep on buddaaay!!!!
Thanks, NT. Things aren't "good" yet, but they're getting there. I just want my normal life back.

Quote:
I think you have a solid plan. I was actually somewhat worried that you would go into buzzsaw mode and get some fast (re:bad) bounce back weight.
You know, I had big plans for a huge decadent meal right away, but it just isn't in the cards. Maybe I can use this opportunity to either prove or disprove the "clean bulk" theory.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:44 AM   #89
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Thanks, NT. Things aren't "good" yet, but they're getting there. I just want my normal life back.

You know, I had big plans for a huge decadent meal right away, but it just isn't in the cards. Maybe I can use this opportunity to either prove or disprove the "clean bulk" theory.
You could try cyclical eating. Which really excites me.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:25 PM   #90
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Quote:
You could try cyclical eating. Which really excites me.
What's that, like spinning? I envision someone on a recumbant exercise bike sucking down a McDonald's #6 and a Diet Coke. Something like that would excite me too.