Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 10-09-2011, 06:46 PM   #731
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Nice work by the Vikings today. I'm kind of glad they avoided a slide into 0-8.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2011, 10:39 PM   #732
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Nice work by the Vikings today. I'm kind of glad they avoided a slide into 0-8.
Worst possible scenario, in my opinion (not that I'm a fan, but I live with one). The victory hides the fact that their quarterback had yet ANOTHER miserable game. Their offense sputtered (six points after the first quarter). Now, the homers are all euphoric. Meanwhile the future quarterback of this franchise is relegated to second or third string. They should write off the season, let Ponder start the rest of the way, and after this season send McNabb packing...to Green Bay.

Really, I can not watch Vikings games. I get under my wife's skin. She's a homer, and I calls 'em as I sees 'em. What she would call as pass interference on the opposing team, I might call a very good play by the defensive back. The opposing kicker makes a 65 yarder? I'll openly appreciate the accomplishment. She'll maybe dwell on some supposed movement by an interior lineman as reason to nullify the whole thing. I grate on her. She grates on me. I'll usually watch them at the gym, where there are enough hard luck Packer fans that I can openly share my disdain for my beloved Purple Gang.

Cycle 3 Deload - Deadlift

Deadlift - done in dynamic effort fashion
135x5
170x5
205x5

Superset
Seated Cable Row (CPG) 115x8x2
Good Mornings (Squat Stance) 115x8x2

Then just for kicks I tried...
Concentric Squats (from a pin placement one notch below where I normally rack the bar - #7 to be exact)
135x5
225x5
350x5

This is something that new member, SqeezMasterFlash, mentioned I might want to try. One way of progressing on this lift is to pick a weight you want to master (350 pounds in this case) and lower the pins by one notch every week. Eventually, you'll be full squatting your target weight. I think though I might employ a different method as assistance to deadlift training. I think BBG posted somewhere about setting up the bar on pins at about the height of your starting deadlift position, and using a certain amount of weight more than your current squat. We'll mess around with that variation on next cycle.

Oh, I also did 10 pushups today. I'll add that in the Jack LaLanne thread.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:40 PM   #733
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast
Default So Begins Cycle 4

So Begins Cycle 4

I purchased a new notebook. My old one was plum full. So begins Cycle 4.

Tuesday, 10/11/11
I had an interview Tuesday afternoon, so I boogied into the gym for a late morning lift. Not too many people there, but interesting to see so many familiar faces in the middle of a week day.

Workout 4.1.1

OHP (alternated with sets of Chinups)
45x5
55x5
70x5
75x5
85x5
100x6 = 119.98 projected 1RM
I tried to focus on keeping my back tight throughout the entire rep/sets. Trying to transfer some of my recent insight into bench pressing. I think there is some caryover. I could tell the difference between reps where I tried to keep everything tight, and reps where I either intentionally relaxed, or accidentally did so.

Chinups (between sets of OHP)
2/1**/1*/1/1/1
**= dang near another rep. Got my eyes to the bar.
*= almost most there
Not that this will be a factor anytime soon, but once I can hit ten reps straight across, I'll start hanging weight.

Superset
Dips (BW+5) 6/7/8
DB Curl 30x12x2, 30x10

EZ Bar Tricep Extention
60x12x2
60x9

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
Old 10-12-2011, 01:56 PM   #734
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
This is something that new member, SqeezMasterFlash, mentioned I might want to try. One way of progressing on this lift is to pick a weight you want to master (350 pounds in this case) and lower the pins by one notch every week. Eventually, you'll be full squatting your target weight. I think though I might employ a different method as assistance to deadlift training. I think BBG posted somewhere about setting up the bar on pins at about the height of your starting deadlift position, and using a certain amount of weight more than your current squat. We'll mess around with that variation on next cycle.
That's the Paul Anderson method. Dig a hole and add dirt each week. I've always wanted to try it but I need to modify my squat rack so I can start higher.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:13 PM   #735
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
That's the Paul Anderson method. Dig a hole and add dirt each week. I've always wanted to try it but I need to modify my squat rack so I can start higher.
Yep, and that's something I'm going to tuck under my hat for a while. What I'm going to employ, starting tomorrow, is the Vince Anello method of setting the safety bars to the approximate height of my deadlift starting position, then do partial squats from there. Since tomorrow is squat day it'd be a perfect time to work on deadlift assistance. I'm going on a deadlift building phase for a while, then a squat phase. By the time I'm done with that, maybe my bench will be in line for some serious blasting.

By the way, in answer to your rack modification problem. You live in Wisconsin for crying out loud. I'm sure there are four cases of empties lying around somewhere for you to set your rack on. Just a little Minnesota ingenuity.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:47 PM   #736
jp_ottawa
Max Brawn
Points: 3,380, Level: 36 Points: 3,380, Level: 36 Points: 3,380, Level: 36
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 1 year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: bench press
jp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by big valsalva View Post

By the way, in answer to your rack modification problem. You live in Wisconsin for crying out loud. I'm sure there are four cases of empties lying around somewhere for you to set your rack on. Just a little Minnesota ingenuity.
haha good one. Before we had a power rack at my gym we used to stack 45 pds plates to some dangerous heights.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:51 PM   #737
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp_ottawa View Post
haha good one. Before we had a power rack at my gym we used to stack 45 pds plates to some dangerous heights.
That'd work too. Canadian ingenuity, eh? By the way, awesome game between your Senators and my Wild last night. Very intense for third game of the season.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:52 AM   #738
storm1507
Max Brawn
Points: 5,137, Level: 45 Points: 5,137, Level: 45 Points: 5,137, Level: 45
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Fav Supp: Con-Cret :D
storm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machine

Is this your 4th cycle of 5/3/1 straigth?

What accessory routines have you tried? Do you have a fav. yet?

Nice work on the overhead...my weakest link. I have to get them done today before going out of town for the weekend.
storm1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:51 AM   #739
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

Val.

Can you feel the love with all the helpfull tips? lol

lol I think the dig a hole would work providing its summer and your not on bed rock.
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:05 AM   #740
Mr.Silverback
Max Brawn
Points: 13,065, Level: 74 Points: 13,065, Level: 74 Points: 13,065, Level: 74

Training Exp: 15+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat, Bench, Dead
Fav Supp: Chicken, Beef, water
Mr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big valsalva View Post
So Begins Cycle 4

I purchased a new notebook. My old one was plum full. So begins Cycle 4.

Tuesday, 10/11/11
I had an interview Tuesday afternoon, so I boogied into the gym for a late morning lift. Not too many people there, but interesting to see so many familiar faces in the middle of a week day.

Workout 4.1.1

OHP (alternated with sets of Chinups)
45x5
55x5
70x5
75x5
85x5
100x6 = 119.98 projected 1RM
I tried to focus on keeping my back tight throughout the entire rep/sets. Trying to transfer some of my recent insight into bench pressing. I think there is some caryover. I could tell the difference between reps where I tried to keep everything tight, and reps where I either intentionally relaxed, or accidentally did so.

Chinups (between sets of OHP)
2/1**/1*/1/1/1
**= dang near another rep. Got my eyes to the bar.
*= almost most there
Not that this will be a factor anytime soon, but once I can hit ten reps straight across, I'll start hanging weight.

Superset
Dips (BW+5) 6/7/8
DB Curl 30x12x2, 30x10

EZ Bar Tricep Extention
60x12x2
60x9
CHECK OUT MY 1ST EBOOK
http://www.stronglife610.org
Mr.Silverback is online now   Reply With Quote