Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 09-17-2011, 06:34 AM   #681
Carl1174
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by big valsalva View Post
I signed my middle daughter up for hockey Friday evening too. It's much easier for me to walk now. My wallet is lighter.
With 4 daughters of my own I feel you, I practically skip along

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2011, 10:31 PM   #682
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Sunday, 9/17/11

Workout 3.2.3

Bench Press (alternated with Wide Grip Pulldown)
45x5
65x5
80x5
95x5
110x3
130x3
145x8

Wide Grip Pulldowns (between BP sets)
117.5 x 10x7 (70 reps at 117.5. I gained 12 reps from last session. Where did it come from?)

The benching madness continues - no resting, just changing plates
130x3
110x3
95x10
80x10
65x10
80x10
95x10 - 14 total sets. 90 total reps. I was dripping sweat.

Straight Bar Curl 50x12x3

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:40 PM   #683
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

How's that bench feeling Val?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:59 PM   #684
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
How's that bench feeling Val?
It's feeling pretty good Steve. Thanks for asking. I've always got one or two left in me on my max set. That's the way I want to be right now. It means I've got another cycle or two before I might start to stall out. The last couple burn out sets are pretty gutty though. I'm trying to do them in DE fashion. It slows up pretty good towards the end. No rest between those last sets though, that's what, 55-60 reps straight? I'll take it.

I did something interesting yesterday. I kept the center of the bar chalked just so I could track where the bar was hitting my chest. Pretty interesting. I had one errant rep, otherwise most everything was within a 2 or 3 bar diameter area. There's room for improvement, but it wasn't as bad as I had thought. I'll have my wife snap some shots of my chalky sweatshirt. I need a new avi anyway.

I'm going back to Mayo tomorow for a checkup. This will be my fifth quarterly checkup. They want quarterly checkups for two years. I'm feeling OK. Just OK. I always become hyperaware of minor pains and bumps right before these visits. It makes for a nice road trip with the Mrs., and allows me to finish up my roxicet. I've got about three doses left, and four visits left. Dang.

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
Old 09-19-2011, 10:50 PM   #685
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

That's pretty a good grouping. I usually have a stray rep or two myself. I do like the benching madness. Volume has always worked well for me, and heck, even if it doesn't pay off for you you can scratch it off the list.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:24 PM   #686
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

Keep it up Val. ^5
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:16 PM   #687
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Knapp View Post
Keep it up Val. ^5
Thank you, Rich. Will do.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:31 PM   #688
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Default The Best He'd Seen All Day

The Best He'd Seen All Day

Tuesday, 9/20/11

I went to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN this morning for my quarterly follow up on my cancer surgery. Unlike my last visit, today the doctor was running about an hour behind. Good for business I guess. I was first examined by an intern who, after a fairly thorough exam, gave me the thumbs up. A few minutes later the doctor came in to take a look himself. He poked and felt around inside my mouth and under my tongue. Then he held my tongue down and put a dental mirror in the back of my mouth to get a look at my vocal cords. He said they were the best he'd seen all day. Which for one of the world's prominent head and neck surgeons might not be saying much. I bet he'd already seen alot of "interesting" mouths and throats before my appointment. Anyway, I'm good to go until December. I did this appointment without taking any roxicet to calm my nerves. That means I should have enough for my remaining three visits.

Now that we got that out of the way, it's time to deadlift.

Workout 3.2.4

Deadlift
135x5
170x5
205x5
240x3
270x3
305x6

Superset
Seated Cable Rows (close parallel grip)
115x12x2
115x11
Good Morning (squat stance)
115x12x3

Post workout: 1 quart chocolate milk and a chocolate donut

Old 09-20-2011, 11:50 PM   #689
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Post workout: 1 quart chocolate milk and a chocolate donut
Envy. That's the only word I can use.

Will the frequency of visits be slowing anytime in the near future?

I also have been meaning to check in and see how the job situation is looking? Still holding steady?

Old 09-21-2011, 12:31 AM   #690
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Envy. That's the only word I can use.

Will the frequency of visits be slowing anytime in the near future?

I also have been meaning to check in and see how the job situation is looking? Still holding steady?
Sorry. I should be more sensitive. Too many dieters on board these days. I mentioned my post workout as a reference to another thread. Didn't mean to fly it in your face.

Visits to Mayo. I think the doctor was evesdropping on my wife and I. While we were in the exam room waiting for him I was wondering out loud why I'm even coming to these. Nothing ever shows up. I drive three hours round trip for a 20 minute exam. Pretty pointles. He was very careful to mention that he wanted to continue the quarterly visits until I reach the two year mark. I think he could at that point proclaim me clean, but we'll see. I know of other cancer patients who are continuously following up.

About the job. I think I may quit it tomorrow. That's where my mind is anyway. We are understaffed, have more work than we can handle at the moment, plus have a massive card and calendar program for a very large bank starting up in about a month. More bricks and less straw (insert picture of Yul Brynner as Pharaoh). As I think I've mentioned before, my printing company is part of a large corporation. We have probably a dozen sister companies in town alone, plus how many others across the U.S. and Canada. I applied for a position at one of the local companies, but didn't get anything, just a skinny letter. The big problem for me is the long hours, and not knowing when we'll be done with work on any given day. I need some absolutes in my life, and a boundry between work and home is one of those absolute things. It would be nice to not have to feel guilty about sneaking out of work a little early to get my kid to hockey by 6:15.

Anyway, I rant. If you hear of anything, let me know.