Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast
Default Back From the Doctor

Back From the Doctor

My general condition cleared up yesterday afternoon and evening. I was able to sleep with my wife last night. This moring I made a trip to the Urgent Care. I was feeling like I had an ear infection or something still lingering. Turns out I was treated by the same doctorette that couldn't discern that I had cancer back in 2010. Well, she decided that my ears were dirty and ordered an irrigation (EAR igation). Nothing new. I've needed one every 18 months or so for the past nine years. She looked again and decided that my ears looked ok, but prescribed an antibiotic for swollen tonsils. I'm on the mend and should be back to deadlifting tomorrow or Monday.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2011, 04:21 PM   #672
ILoveLifting
Strength Fiend
Max Brawn
Points: 2,129, Level: 27 Points: 2,129, Level: 27 Points: 2,129, Level: 27
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: New York Strips and V8
ILoveLifting is off to a bad start

"EAR igation"

Feel better soon BigV.

Deads are always a great prescription for ailments
ILoveLifting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 03:50 PM   #673
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLifting View Post
"EAR igation"

Feel better soon BigV.

Deads are always a great prescription for ailments
Darn straight. I doubt it will happen today. I needed a nap in the worst way.

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
Old 09-12-2011, 10:48 PM   #674
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Default Deads are Always a Great Prescription for Ailments

Deads are Always a Great Prescription for Ailments

Monday, 9/12/11

Bit of a dissapointing session tonight. Don't get me wrong. I got my work done. It went well. I was looking forward to rowing, but the seated cable station was locked out for repair. I toyed with the notion of subbing, but rejected the idea. I'm trying to take a minimalistic approach with my assistance exercises. I'd rather stick with an exercise until it stops progressing. Then after giving it every chance to come back, I'll make a switch. Anyway, rowing didn't get done tonight. T-Bars or Pendlays (as much as I love them both) will have to wait for another day.

Workout 3.1.4

Deadlift
135x5
170x5
205x5
220x5
255x5
290x6 - according to the eleven year old this projects out to a 347.942 1RM, which is progress over last time. That's all I ask for. I got very agressive with my attitude. I tried to explode every rep. I treated this as a DE style workout. Also I gripped the bar entirely differently tonight, especially on the last two sets. All session long I chalked up and gripped across the middle of the palm. It felt more secure and confident. On my last two sets I switched to mixed grip. I really became agressive on adding some twist and torque. I think it helped imensely. I will bottle the knowledge gained from this session for future use.

Good Morning 115x12x2

And so it goes. I think I need to get serious about adding in some ab work.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:51 PM   #675
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Wednesday, 9/14/11

I got to the gym late, and had only an hour before it closed. I pushed the tempo a bit, and chopped my usual BTN pressing. I got out in about 45 minutes.

Workout 3.2.1

OHP (alternated w/ chinups)
45x5
55x5
65x5
75x3
90x3
100x5

Chinups (between sets of OHP)
1/1/1/1/x/x

Superset
Dips BW 10/10/8
DB Curls 30x12 30x9 30x8

EZ Bar Tricep Extention
60x12x2
60x8

Old 09-15-2011, 09:32 PM   #676
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big valsalva View Post
Well, she decided that my ears were dirty and ordered an irrigation (EAR igation). Nothing new. I've needed one every 18 months or so for the past nine years.
I'm in that same club. I've tried irrigating them myself bi-weekly but nothing seems to help.

Quote:
290x6 - according to the eleven year old this projects out to a 347.942 1RM, which is progress over last time. That's all I ask for. I got very agressive with my attitude. I tried to explode every rep. I treated this as a DE style workout. Also I gripped the bar entirely differently tonight, especially on the last two sets. All session long I chalked up and gripped across the middle of the palm. It felt more secure and confident. On my last two sets I switched to mixed grip. I really became agressive on adding some twist and torque. I think it helped imensely. I will bottle the knowledge gained from this session for future use.
Glad this was a success. I've really started to focus on this myself in 2011 and I think it's really paying dividends.

Quote:
I think I need to get serious about adding in some ab work.
I won't lecture you, as I was stubborn for 24 years, but I think the weighted situps are really helping me. I notice a big difference with my squat eccentrics.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:00 PM   #677
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I won't lecture you, as I was stubborn for 24 years, but I think the weighted situps are really helping me. I notice a big difference with my squat eccentrics.
I'll keep that in mind. The trouble is trying to find something that works, but doesn't make me look like a dorkus while I'm doing it. I recently experimented with ghettoing up an ab roller. I could manage all of three reps before people started staring at me and laughing. I sur efelt it next day though.

Old 09-16-2011, 04:08 PM   #678
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Default Six Reps with My Five and a Half Rep Max

Six Reps with My Five and a Half Rep Max

Friday 9/16/11

I have a show tonight. I don't like to lift on the day of a show, but if I didn't get it in this afternoon, then it would likely be Sunday before I got to lift again. I didn't want to go two full weeks between squat sessions. We'll see how it goes.

Workout 3.2.2

Squat
45x5
110x5
140x5
165x5
195x3
220x3
250x6 - I was at my limit. My absolute limit. I didn't want to bail out in the hole (even though I thought about it), so I willed myself back up.

Superset
Leg Press
260x10x5
Prone Leg Curl
100x10x3
100x8x2

I probably should have quit there, but decided that since i was already sweaty, I'd bang out some more.

RDL
135x12x3

Old 09-16-2011, 05:09 PM   #679
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
250x6 - I was at my limit. My absolute limit. I didn't want to bail out in the hole (even though I thought about it), so I willed myself back up.
Channeling Tom Platz! Have a great show tonight Val.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 01:16 AM   #680
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Channeling Tom Platz! Have a great show tonight Val.
Thanks, BTB. The show went OK. The weather changed on us this week, and I have a terible case of chapped lips. Not very good for trumpet playing. I got home about a half hour ago. I have a Big Mac meal in my gut, and a fresh shower to my credit. Just waiting for my hair to dry, then I'm off to bed.

Going to the Gophers vs. Miami of Ohio game on Saturday. Should be fun.

I signed my middle daughter up for hockey Friday evening too. It's much easier for me to walk now. My wallet is lighter.