Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast
Default Family Affair

Quote:
Originally Posted by big valsalva View Post
This pursuit beings out the inner math geek in me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
It's actually one of the things I like about lifting. It's like a puzzle with math.
I think though that I've found a way to keep the eleven year old engaged. I explained to her the One Rep Max formula I'm using, and she suddenly saw the logic to my method. Weightlifting, to me, isn't about going to the gym and lifting heavy things, its about going to the gym and lifting heavier things than last time. Anyway, the daughter will now sit down with me and help me calculate my target reps for my max 5-3-1 sets. It has become "our time." Weightlifting has become a family affair.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2011, 12:44 PM   #662
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Good idea. I became hooked on math because of baseball statistics. It's all about finding practical applications that get that little mind to see beyond the text book.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:46 PM   #663
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Quote:
Good idea. I became hooked on math because of baseball statistics. It's all about finding practical applications that get that little mind to see beyond the text book.
Practical implications indeed. I am so blessed that my two older daughters especially love math. Very good to see the "lightbulb moments" when what they've been studying in school meets real life. My oldest daughter is really an odd nut too. She loves reading (takes after her old man). The other night she had fallen asleep reading. I went in to shut off the light, and noticed she was reading a book about the elements. She had fallen asleep with the page open to Hydrogen. I guess she didn't get very far that night.

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
Old 09-06-2011, 05:00 PM   #664
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Default big val is back home

big val is back home

I've been home a couple of days actually. Just getting caught up on loose ends here. The next family vacation I take I'm either bringing along a divorce lawyer or a family counselor. Seriously though, we had a great time. A very good way to wrap up the summer. I'm still off work for a couple more days. The kids start school on Thursday. My wife was back at it today.

I was able to squeeze in another lifting session on Sunday morning before we came home. It was pretty boring. I was strapped for time, and the gym I was visiting didn't have a prone leg curl station. Also, the leg press sled was different than what I was used to. So I just punted, and squatted until breakfast started coming back on me.

Sunday, 9/4/11

Workout 3.1.2

Squat
45x5
110x5
140x5
165x5
180x5
205x5
235x8 - at this point I contemplated quitting, but decided to finish off with some panache
*165x5*
*140x5*
*110x5*
*140x5*
*165x5* - last five sets done in rapid fashion. No rest between sets except to change weight.

I think that's 63 squat reps. I don't know. I'll have to ask the eleven year old. She's the math whiz.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:14 PM   #665
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
The next family vacation I take I'm either bringing along a divorce lawyer or a family counselor.
You crack me up.

How about them Gophers almost beating USC.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:36 PM   #666
jp_ottawa
Max Brawn
Points: 3,380, Level: 36 Points: 3,380, Level: 36 Points: 3,380, Level: 36
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 1 year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: bench press
jp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
big val is back home

I think that's 63 squat reps. I don't know. I'll have to ask the eleven year old. She's the math whiz.
Nice work. Yep, that's 63 reps. I asked my 7 year old. I'm glad you didnt quit when you contemplated quitting. You got 40% of your reps after that point.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:03 PM   #667
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Quote:
You crack me up.
That's why they pay me to be here.

Quote:
How about them Gophers almost beating USC.
Gotta confess. I didn't watch the game. The recap sounded like the typical "Gophers ALMOST beating someone noteworthy, but choking in the end." I don't know. I'd like that team to be relevant just once in my lifetime. Every Big 10 team has won the conference since the last time the Gophers won it. Every Big 10 team has been to the Rose Bowl since the Gophers' last trip. My best buddy was born in 1960. He's lucky. He can say the Gophers have won a National Championship in his lifetime. I can't say that. And I'll probably never see a National Championship here, although my wife did score us a couple of tickets to the Miami of Ohio game on the 17th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp_ottawa View Post
Nice work. Yep, that's 63 reps. I asked my 7 year old. I'm glad you didnt quit when you contemplated quitting. You got 40% of your reps after that point.
Thank you, jp. I'm glad I didn't quit either. I rarely have opportunity to work volume on squats, and I don't think I'll do it again anytime soon. It was a "Perfect Storm" situation, and I decided to go for it.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:11 PM   #668
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Here's what my training looked like yesterday.

Tuesday 9/6/11

Workout 3.1.3

Bench Press (alternated w/ lat pulldowns)
45x5
65x5
80x5
95x5
105x5
120x5
135x10

Wide Grip Lat Pulldown (in between BP sets)
117.5 10/10/8/8/8/7/7 = 58 reps (did 56 last time)

MOAR BP - no rest between sets except to change weight
120x5
105x5
95x5
80x10
65x10
45x10
65x10
80x10

105 total BP reps

Straight Bar Curl 45x12x3

Old 09-09-2011, 01:31 PM   #669
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Default Uggghh!

Uggghh!

There is an alien living inside my body.. Knocked me flat on my arse Wednesday night, and ruined my triumphal return to work Thursday and Friday. I feel like I have mono. Sore throat, low grade fever. I don't know if or when I'll ever get lifting again.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:39 PM   #670
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Uggghh!

There is an alien living inside my body.. Knocked me flat on my arse Wednesday night, and ruined my triumphal return to work Thursday and Friday. I feel like I have mono. Sore throat, low grade fever. I don't know if or when I'll ever get lifting again.
Dr. Squatzilla prescribes plenty of college and pro football. Stay off your feet and rest up.

Quote:
Every Big 10 team has been to the Rose Bowl since the Gophers' last trip. My best buddy was born in 1960. He's lucky. He can say the Gophers have won a National Championship in his lifetime. I can't say that. And I'll probably never see a National Championship here, although my wife did score us a couple of tickets to the Miami of Ohio game on the 17th.
I watched the last quarter. One thing I will say...they looked spirited.