Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 08-26-2011, 07:28 AM   #641
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big valsalva View Post

Bad day at work. Rough week actually. I've got this uneasy feeling that "the squeeze" is being put on me. "The squeeze," as in, "You don't fit in to our plans here, so kindly quit before we do it for you." Nothing's been said, and I just had a good evaluation two weeks ago. But, some things are pretty obvious. Here's the deal. My wife has teacher workshops all next week. I'm off work with the kids from this Friday until the Thursday after Labor Day. That gives me almost two full weeks to either get over my paranoia, learn to accept my situation, or find something new. I'm leaning towards the latter.
Not good. I went through the squeeze in 2005. Hopefully if you get squeezed they will get distracted for 6 months and buy you time.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2011, 10:40 PM   #642
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Not good. I went through the squeeze in 2005. Hopefully if you get squeezed they will get distracted for 6 months and buy you time.
I don't know if it really is "the squeeze," or just perception and paranoia. Whatever. I woke up in the middle of the night Wednesday night and had a peaceful feeling about things. It may be OK afterall. I'll find out in a couple of weeks, because...

I'm on a vacation! Really, just a break from work. I'm going to spend most of next week with my daughters doing some stuff. Probably hang out at the mall, and since college is back in session, that's not such a bad prospect. We're heading up to Minneapolis for the Labor Day weekend. Probably spend some time at the Mall of America. Maybe the State Fair, or the Como Zoo. Let's see, one is free, one costs a weeks wages... There's a cool looking nature reserve that might be worth checking out too. And of course, a couple of hockey stores. I've still got some birthday money, and I still don't have my own skates.

Anyway, it will amount to almost two weeks away from work. I've never had a two week break from work, except in 1989 when I was laid off, and last summer when I was recovering from surgery. This is going to be good.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)

Last edited by big valsalva; 08-26-2011 at 10:42 PM.
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:02 PM   #643
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast
Default Cabernet Sauvignon

Cabernet Sauvignon

Friday, 8/26/11

My first day of Summer Vacation. I spent the morning with the three year old. Just the two of us. She wanted to play Wii. We did some swordplay. She won. Actually. A three year old kicked my arse. Then we changed to Frisbee golf. I won that. Finished up with some cycling and wakeboarding just for fun. Ahh, technology.

Then we took a quick trip to the mall to look at bikes and go for a merry go round ride. Back home for lunch. She wanted a peanut butter sandwich. "Nothing on top Daddy. Just peanut butter." Translation: open faced sandwich. I watched her as she was eating it and thought, "That would be really good with...fresh, homemade bread." So I baked a loaf. And it IS good that way.

Training for the day:

Cycle 2 Deload

Squat
45x5
105x5
135x5
160x5

Superset
Leg Press 250x8x2
Prone Leg Curl 90x8x2

RDL - Just experimenting. Probably putting this in next cycle.
135x8x2

Finished.

I probably spent more time warming up and stretching out afterwards than I spent lifting. OK though, I'll take that.

Postworkout drink: 1 glass Cabernet Sauvignon. OK, not your typical post workout beverage, but it was an ingredient in what I was cooking for dinner.

The menu looked like this:
Pan Seared Steak with Red Wine Sauce
Steamed Mixed Vegetables (carrots, broccoli, cauliflower)
Cheesy Mashed Potatoes

Dessert: Oreo Cheesecake frozen custard.

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
Old 08-30-2011, 11:37 PM   #644
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

I've missed posting for a couple of days. I'll get caught up now.

Sunday, 8/28/11

Cycle 2 Deload

Bench Press (alternated w/ Wide Grip Lat Pulldowns)
45x5
60x5
80x5
95x5
I was very explosive on all sets and reps. I used a pause and pop method. I'm liking my new foot placement. I'm bringing my feet back towards my butt, just so my heels are still on the floor. This helps activate my quads, and stabilize my back. My next 5-3-1 week should be interesting.

Wide Grip Lat Pulldown (between sets of BP) 117.5 x 7 x 4

Single Arm DB BP 50x8x2

Straight Bar Curls 45x8x3

Experimented some with deficit deadlifts. 135x5 off of various deficits just for kicks. I'm chewing on something for later on.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:44 PM   #645
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Default My "Vacation" Continues

Monday, 8/29/11

My "vacation" continues. My dad came over to help me with some yardwork. He owns a chainsaw. I don't. We cut down one tree, and trimmed some branches off several more. Looks like somebody lives here now. That in itself might have been enough physical activity in one day for mortal men, but not for a viking warrior like myself.

Cardio. Jog for 15 minutes. I'm ready to start sneaking in an occasional 20 minute session.

Ooh! I should mention that there is now an eliptical machine in my house. I found a good deal on one at the used sporting goods store. I took in two pairs of rollerblades, and they knocked $20 off. So I bought myself some hockey skates too. Now I have no excuse.

Last edited by big valsalva; 08-30-2011 at 11:52 PM. Reason: addendum
Old 08-30-2011, 11:49 PM   #646
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Default End of Cycle 2

Tuesday, 8/30/11

Cycle 2 Deload

Deadlift
135x5
165x5
200x5
I tried to keep all reps explosive. I was hoping to try these from a deficit position, but I had to share the space.

Superset
Seated Cable Rows (CPG) 110x7x3
GM's (Squat Stance) 110x7x3

End of Cycle 2

Last edited by big valsalva; 08-30-2011 at 11:54 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:21 AM   #647
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Sheesh how did I miss so many log updates. Looks like you are working harder than the average bear on vacation.

Quote:
My "vacation" continues. My dad came over to help me with some yardwork. He owns a chainsaw. I don't. We cut down one tree, and trimmed some branches off several more. Looks like somebody lives here now. That in itself might have been enough physical activity in one day for mortal men, but not for a viking warrior like myself.
I am somewhat glad I don't own one. We have a lot of trees on our land and I might get into trouble.

Quote:
Ooh! I should mention that there is now an eliptical machine in my house. I found a good deal on one at the used sporting goods store. I took in two pairs of rollerblades, and they knocked $20 off. So I bought myself some hockey skates too. Now I have no excuse.
Running, skating, elliptical...all good work Val. I know your children see you working hard and this type of modeled behavior almost always pays good dividends.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:46 PM   #648
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Quote:
Running, skating, elliptical...all good work Val. I know your children see you working hard and this type of modeled behavior almost always pays good dividends.
Actually, the eliptical is not for me. My wife feels she has to get back in shape before she can set foot in a public gym. Women. *Face Palm*

So the plan is she'll use it for now. Then in a year when she's "presentable" again, we'll trade it in for some hockey gear for the three year old.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:50 PM   #649
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by big valsalva View Post
Actually, the eliptical is not for me. My wife feels she has to get back in shape before she can set foot in a public gym. Women. *Face Palm*

So the plan is she'll use it for now. Then in a year when she's "presentable" again, we'll trade it in for some hockey gear for the three year old.
I hope your wife does better than mine. My wife spends 10 hours a week telling me she wants to exercise but then claims to not have time. I really want her to make it a passion and priority.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:01 PM   #650
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Quote:
I hope your wife does better than mine. My wife spends 10 hours a week telling me she wants to exercise but then claims to not have time. I really want her to make it a passion and priority.
Same here. She wants help getting in shape. I offered to get a personal trainer. "No, I want YOU to do it." "Sweetheart," I said, "I could train you, but I don't know anything about getting skinny. Alls I know about is getting big and blubbery." I'd do what it takes to get her the time. I'd even sacrifice my own training to get her in shape. I'll watch the kids. I already do the grocery shopping. It just doesn't happen. Maybe now, with her implement of choice in the house, she'll carve out her own time to get moving. We've had it in the house since Monday. Today is Wednesday. It's been used once. Still no clothes hanging on it...yet.