Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

The week got away from me, sorry. Work was nutz, and my band played a party on Wednesday night. I got no cardio in except for what shoveling snow and a two hour rock and roll trumpet gig can provide. I'll get back on the horse next week.

Tuesday, 12/21/10

Squat
45x5
90x5
105x5
120x5x2

OHP
25x5
50x5x5

Deadlift
135x5
160x5
185x5
210x5
235x5

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2010, 11:22 PM   #272
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Thursday, 12/23/10

I was off work by 2:30, and so I headed into the gym for what I thought would be a "quick lift." Problem is, EVERYONE else also got off work at 2:30, or so it seemed. I hate crowds. I can't afford to make my own dungeon. What am I to do?

Squats
45x5
90x5
105x5
120x5
165x3 - pretty easy
120x8

BP
45x5
75x5
105x5x5
75x8
45x8
The bench is coming back nicely. I'm tempted to expand this out to five ramped sets, but in about six weeks, I'll be at 135x5x5 which might translate into a 1RM right about where I started last February. If I continue at my current pace, I'll eventually get there and I'll be less likely to injure myself in the process. There is very little pain anymore. In fact, there is none when I lift. I have very good mobility in the mornings, and can sleep on my right side at night. I'm moving in the right direction. I just can't dip or hang without causing great discomfort. I wish I knew how exactly this got messed up. I went on the operating table feeling fine. I work up after the surgery with a useless right shoulder.

Pendlay Rows n/a - There was a "sweetheart workout" taking place that afternoon. Some guy was showing his girlfriend how to lift. And well, he was showing her how to deadlift at the time, and I didn't feel like hanging around until the space was available. It would have been the second time I had to wait for them. The first was at the squat rack, and let me say that I'm so glad I didn't take squat lessons from that dude. Now fellas, I have no problem with the concept of a "sweetheart workout." In fact I encourage it, but if you're gonna teach your gal to lift, at least show her proper form, and do everything possible to encourage proper mechanics. Concerning the episode with the deadlifts. We should have training plates at the Y. We SHOULD, but we don't. So in the absence of training plates, you should do everything possible to get the bar to the approximate height it would be with a couple of 45's. You could put it on an aerobic step, like I'm doing for rows, or build a couple of makeshift platforms by stacking a 25, 10, and 5 and putting them at each end of the bar. This guy had his gal pulling 50 pounds straight off the floor. Back horribly rounded, knees straight, head down, the whole nine yards. And I sure don't know what he hoped to accomplish by spotting her deadlift from the rear.

I shook my head and went home. My shoulders could probably benefit from the lighter day.

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
Old 12-24-2010, 11:31 PM   #273
strkout35
Max Brawn
Points: 10,027, Level: 66 Points: 10,027, Level: 66 Points: 10,027, Level: 66
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

strkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machine

great work Val, great to see you hitting it again. slow and steady increases is the name of the game have a merry merry christmas and get back full speed in 2011

_________Goals:__
Squat:______275
Deadlift:_____315
Bench:______185
Press:_______135

"Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe"
strkout35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 12:48 AM   #274
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by strkout35 View Post
great work Val, great to see you hitting it again. slow and steady increases is the name of the game have a merry merry christmas and get back full speed in 2011
Thanks, strkout. Full speed ahead. I'll see how I'm feeling. I'm looking at maybe retesting my 5's and singles in about a month, then resuming the 5/3/1. Again, it all depends on how I'm feeling. The rest of my life is back to full speed, this should follow suit shortly.

Old 12-25-2010, 08:42 AM   #275
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big valsalva View Post
This guy had his gal pulling 50 pounds straight off the floor. Back horribly rounded, knees straight, head down, the whole nine yards. And I sure don't know what he hoped to accomplish by spotting her deadlift from the rear.

I shook my head and went home. My shoulders could probably benefit from the lighter day.
I have my wife deadlift in the squat rack from the lowest pin, while standing on a step. It gets her close to height, probably a little higher, but at least she's not pulling 75 pounds as an extreme deficit deadlift.

I imagine you'll be doing quite a bit more head shaking come January 1st when the army of new gym members arrive.

Numbers are starting to look good Val. You're bouncing back more quickly than I expected.

Quote:
There is very little pain anymore. In fact, there is none when I lift.
^ Glad to hear this. I was hoping that lifting would help correct/strengthen this strange new shoulder condition. When you first mentioned it I thought it might be something that would limit you completely from performing direct shoulder work.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 01:49 PM   #276
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I imagine you'll be doing quite a bit more head shaking come January 1st when the army of new gym members arrive.
Ah yes. The dreaded "New Years Resoluters." At least by mid-February they'll all be gone.

Quote:
Numbers are starting to look good Val. You're bouncing back more quickly than I expected.
Thanks, oh Bearded Beast. My challenge now is to keep forging ahead slowly. I so badly want to throw some more weight on my bench, but I've progressed so well this far, and I'm not really that far out from my bench numbers of last June. It doesn't speak well of my bench press, but I'm not in as big of a deficit as I had thought.

Quote:
^ Glad to hear this. I was hoping that lifting would help correct/strengthen this strange new shoulder condition. When you first mentioned it I thought it might be something that would limit you completely from performing direct shoulder work.
Exercise has seemed to be the key. My ROM isn't nearly 100% yet, but it is much better than it was. The lack of strength has me concerned a bit especially when it comes to doing dips. Actually that IS a pain issue. I answer myself by recalling something that Jim Wendler said. I paraphrase: "If shoulder pain is preventing you from doing assistance work, forget about it and concentrate on your pressing instead." The last time I checked, Behind the Neck Presses and Dips were NOT events at powerlifting meets. Bench Press is an event. For now, at least, I'm throwing all my eggs into that basket.

Old 12-25-2010, 01:59 PM   #277
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

Sorry I'm late. Glad to see things are going in the right direction for you. Keep rocking it.
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:20 AM   #278
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Knapp View Post
Sorry I'm late. Glad to see things are going in the right direction for you. Keep rocking it.
Thanks, buddy. I'll rock it and rack it.

Sunday, 12/26/10

The mental game is afoot now. I'm starting to see the end of this phase of my comeback. I'm anxious to retest my 1RM's and get back to some purposeful weight smahsing. All in good time though; all in good time.

Squat
45x5
95x5
110x5
125x5
145x5
165x5 - Felt really good. I'm not approaching my limit just yet.

BP
45x5
80x5
110x5x5
80x8
45x8

Pendlay Rows
45s5
80s5
110x5x5
80x8
45x8

Treadmill 25:00 2.04 miles - Last week I did no cardio, and my conditioning really took a hit. I had been able to run at a 6.2 mph pace for 10 straight minutes. Today I was gassed after six minutes. I slowed down to a brisk walk for five minutes, then finished out with five more minutes of running. The net result is that I was able to increase my total run to 11 minutes. If the 5K were held today, and I could keep up that pace, I'd be able to finish in about 40 minutes. Not bad for a first time out. I'd take it. I have over two months left to train though. Hopefully I can shave a few minutes off that.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:41 AM   #279
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Woha great smashing val, havent checked your login a while - progress! Happy new year brother!
Old 12-27-2010, 10:07 AM   #280
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big valsalva View Post
Last week I did no cardio, and my conditioning really took a hit. I had been able to run at a 6.2 mph pace for 10 straight minutes. Today I was gassed after six minutes.
It's crazy how fast the body can de-adapt in only a week. I guess that's one of the reasons dual factor training keeps you moving on de-load weeks.

Hope to see you over 200 on squats soon Val.

You and yours do anything special for the New Year?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote