Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I spent several hours battling the hump myself this weekend.

Glad to hear your daughter is in hockey. We have a big female following locally. My wife's boss is a female player.

Workouts are looking good Val.
Thank you, BTB. I'm just enjoying moving the weights for now. I know these are paltry compared to where I was last June, but considering where I've been in the last five months, I'm happy with just being able to participate for now. Although, I look back at my numbers from June, and project those out another four or five months and I almost have to cry. I wouldn't be having a "geezer throwdown" with gl. I'd be benching four plates for reps. I'd be well into the 4's on my deads, and nearing a projected 500 1 RM. I'd be looking for pl meets to enter... Now I'm just trying to recapture "beast mode."

About the hockey... We are NOT a hockey family. At least its not in the original "Family Charter" established and ratified on 6/14/97. My spouse and I are not anti hockey. In fact, we've been seen a more than a few university games. But one day my middle daughter came home from school and said, "Mom, I want to play hockey." Never thought I'd hear those words uttered in my house, though deep down inside, I was hoping. That was two years ago, and its amazing to see how she's developed. I was just looking a a pictur etonight from her first hockey practice. It was her first time on skates. I compare that snapshot of her to the professional SportPix individual and team photo of two weeks ago, and I see a child that has absolutely blossomed. She's confident. She's a leader at school and at home with her sisters. And she's fast becoming a leader on the ice. As I said before, "Daddy's proud."

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2010, 12:59 AM   #262
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Knapp View Post
Won't be long and the work outs/weights won't be as easy to remember. Love the dedication Val.
Thanks Rich. I'm hoping to be able to step it up soon, but for now I'm going to keep it slow and steady. I need to retrain my body. I'm not going to get injured. That dedication will, over time, result in a big reward.

Quote:
Dress that bar Val. Slap that sucker in its Sunday best, and send it off to rep school.

(or something like that)

Hell yeah, BTB. You know it. Dress it up with a matching tie and hankie.

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
Old 12-17-2010, 09:15 AM   #263
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big valsalva View Post
Thank you, BTB. I'm just enjoying moving the weights for now. I know these are paltry compared to where I was last June, but considering where I've been in the last five months, I'm happy with just being able to participate for now. Although, I look back at my numbers from June, and project those out another four or five months and I almost have to cry. I wouldn't be having a "geezer throwdown" with gl. I'd be benching four plates for reps. I'd be well into the 4's on my deads, and nearing a projected 500 1 RM. I'd be looking for pl meets to enter... Now I'm just trying to recapture "beast mode."

About the hockey... We are NOT a hockey family. At least its not in the original "Family Charter" established and ratified on 6/14/97. My spouse and I are not anti hockey. In fact, we've been seen a more than a few university games. But one day my middle daughter came home from school and said, "Mom, I want to play hockey." Never thought I'd hear those words uttered in my house, though deep down inside, I was hoping. That was two years ago, and its amazing to see how she's developed. I was just looking a a pictur etonight from her first hockey practice. It was her first time on skates. I compare that snapshot of her to the professional SportPix individual and team photo of two weeks ago, and I see a child that has absolutely blossomed. She's confident. She's a leader at school and at home with her sisters. And she's fast becoming a leader on the ice. As I said before, "Daddy's proud."
Digging this whole post Val.

The lifting we do here is fun, and I love to challenge people, and push each other. I love the competition of just doing one rep, but I like these types of post most of all.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:18 AM   #264
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Being properly dressed goes a long way.

glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:21 AM   #265
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:

I have to admit, I was the same way when my daughter decided to pick cello. She's a bus student, which means lugging a big instrument on the bus, was an interesting wake up call.

When she said she wanted to play an instrument, I thought it was going to be like picking out a new breakfast cereal. I thought she would go for the "sugary" violin like every other girl.

When she picked cello, it made me wake up a bit and realize she's becoming a little adult, making decisions more advanced and complex than Fruity Pebbles vs. Lucky Charms.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:19 PM   #266
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
The lifting we do here is fun, and I love to challenge people, and push each other. I love the competition of just doing one rep, but I like these types of post most of all.
Which is why I love this forum so much. We're all in this together. Everyone has either "been there and done that," or is about to "be there and do that." I think BTB mentioned earlier in this thread or else in my hospital thread something about having dozens of spotters on this site. That's how I feel. I don't train alone, I've got the whole community behind me everytime I step foot in the gym. Now excuse me, I've got some F'ing Weight Smashing to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
Being properly dressed goes a long way.

YouTube - ZZ Top - Sharp Dressed Man (music video)
Why this isn't already on my iPod, I don't know.

Quote:
I have to admit, I was the same way when my daughter decided to pick cello. She's a bus student, which means lugging a big instrument on the bus, was an interesting wake up call.

When she said she wanted to play an instrument, I thought it was going to be like picking out a new breakfast cereal. I thought she would go for the "sugary" violin like every other girl.

When she picked cello, it made me wake up a bit and realize she's becoming a little adult, making decisions more advanced and complex than Fruity Pebbles vs. Lucky Charms.
I admit that I don't have this parenting thing all figured out, but I like to think that your daughter's dedication to lugging a big instrument on the bus, and my daughter's dedication to 7:45 a.m. ice time on a weekend are indicators of how they'll meet life when they grow up.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:30 PM   #267
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Friday, 12/17/10

So, I found my freakin' notebook. I jotted down my numbers from Wednesday, planned my training for Friday, and headed for the gym. Only to realize that I left the notebook home again.

Squat
45x5
80x5
110x5
155x3
110x8

BP
45x5
75x5
95x5x5
75x8
45x8

Pendlay Rows
45x5
75x5
95x5x5
75x8
45x8

Then I noticed that the squat rack was empty, so I put on 185 and cranked out a single. It felt OK. I loaded 225 and tried a single. I got it and it was probably legal, but I still don't belong training any heavier than I am now. Still, I'll attempt heavier singles every couple of weeks just to remind my body of where it HAS to go.

Treadmill: 25:00 2.0 miles The last 30 seconds of my jogging segment I turned it up to 7.0 mph. I had no trouble at that speed. I need to train up to another 1.1 miles in distance, then work on my time. I'd like to complete it in about 35 - 40 minutes, but to tell you the truth, I'd settle for just completing it.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:40 PM   #268
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Sunday, 12/19/10

My father-in-law. He's in the hospital now. Diverticulitus. THey were going to keep him in for a few days just for observation, but upon further review, decided that they had better go in and operate. It cost him part of his colon. He's doing fine now, but he's going to be laid up for a couple of months. Eating through his nose and crapping into a bag for a while. I relate this only because I skipped the conditioning portion of my training today incase my wife had to leave. She didn't though. Oh well. Some things are more important than training.

Squat
45x5
90x5
105x5
120x5
135x5
155x5

BP
45x5
75x5
100x5x5
75x8
45x8 - The BP is coming along nicely. In another couple of weeks, I might shift this lift over to the madcow format as well.

Pendlay Row
45x5
75x5
100x5x5
75x8
45x8

Skipped treadmill.

Old 12-20-2010, 01:22 AM   #269
CoopDawg
Max Brawn
Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: AAEFX K-OTIC
CoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Sunday, 12/19/10

My father-in-law. He's in the hospital now. Diverticulitus. THey were going to keep him in for a few days just for observation, but upon further review, decided that they had better go in and operate. It cost him part of his colon. He's doing fine now, but he's going to be laid up for a couple of months. Eating through his nose and crapping into a bag for a while. I relate this only because I skipped the conditioning portion of my training today incase my wife had to leave. She didn't though. Oh well. Some things are more important than training.

Squat
45x5
90x5
105x5
120x5
135x5
155x5

BP
45x5
75x5
100x5x5
75x8
45x8 - The BP is coming along nicely. In another couple of weeks, I might shift this lift over to the madcow format as well.

Pendlay Row
45x5
75x5
100x5x5
75x8
45x8

Skipped treadmill.
Great job val, and goodluck with the father in law hope hes better soon and missing treadmill due to somethin like this is just fine plus gives you some conditionin rest, im off to bed, keep smashin brother
badass[bad-ass] adj. - the epitome of the American male. He radiates confidence in everything he does, whether itís lifting weights, ordering a drink, playing a sport, buying a car, or dealing with women. Heís slow to anger, yet brutally efficient when fighting back.
The badass carves his own path. He wears, drives, drinks, watches, and listens to what he chooses, when he chooses, where he chooses. Badass style is understated but instantly recognizable.
CoopDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:17 PM   #270
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopDawg View Post
Great job val, and goodluck with the father in law hope hes better soon and missing treadmill due to somethin like this is just fine plus gives you some conditionin rest, im off to bed, keep smashin brother
Thanks, Coop. Father in law is doing fine. He'll be in the hospital for a couple more days. And dealing with the snow today more than made up for skipping treadmill yesterday.