Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Wednesday, 11/24/10

I had the past two days off work. I always take the Tuesday and Wednesday before Thanksgiving. We get Thursday and Friday off for the holiday anyway. This way I get almost a whole week off, and it only costs me two days. I spent Tuesday kicking around with the two older daughters. They had parent/teacher conferences in the morning. I'm pretty proud of them. Every parent should be as lucky as my wife and I. Spent the rest of Tuesday swimming at the 'Y,' and hanging at the mall.

Today was cheesecake day. The eight year old and I scratched out a pumpkin cheesecake to take to the inlaws tomorrow. After hockey practice, I managed a training session of my own.

Squat 55x5x5 - Felt very good. After next session, I may step up my weights a bit.

OHP 25x5x5 - Felt good, but there's still a bit of stiffness and soreness in my front delt. Patience, big val.

Deadlift 145x5x3 - After next DL session (Sunday?), I'll make 10% increments until I hit 200 or so, then 10 pound increments for a while until I retest my 5RM and 1 RM. This lift is going good. Time to train it. Squats too.

Treadmill - 20:00 1.38 miles.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2010, 08:05 AM   #222
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Solid work Val. Keep charging. Hope you and yours have a great Thanksgiving.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 08:17 AM   #223
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Solid work Val. Keep charging. Hope you and yours have a great Thanksgiving.
Ditto! SMASH some FREAKING TURKEY!
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 11:11 AM   #224
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Thanks, guys. Smashing Freakin Turkey! Smash Freakin Cheesecake!

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
Old 11-26-2010, 08:07 PM   #225
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Day after Thanksgiving. Smash Freakin' Toilet Paper.

Friday, 11/26/10

Squat 60x5x5 - Cool, actually two discs on each side. I made sure to do the Rack Exit Tango just so I could make some noise. Sounded like jingle bells. I made up for it by practicing my heavy lift grunt coming out of the hole.

BP 55x5x5 - I so badly want to put some weight on this, but my shoulder says, "No."

Pendlay Rows 55x5x5

Treadmill 20:00 1.40 miles. Soon I need to commence training for the 5k in March. I got my jogging up to 0.4 miles. On Sunday, I'll test 0.5 miles. If I can get that, then I'll break out the Couch 2 5k app.

Old 11-26-2010, 11:48 PM   #226
jslep
Max Brawn
Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 15 years
Fav Exercise: bench and moar bench
Fav Supp: red meat
jslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beast

you got that val! 5k ain't shit time to smash it!
jslep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:40 AM   #227
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Default Pickup Trucks Remind Me of Marshmallows

Sunday, 11/28/10

"Pickup trucks remind me of marshmallows." That was the random thought of the day uttered by my eight year old. Now you all know what I'm up against. I was too bewildered by that statement to ask her to elaborate, but the frightening thing is, she probably has a logical connection between the two. Rather than discuss things further, I headed to the gym.

Squat 65x5x5 - Absolutely grooved the form. Pistonlike reps. As low as I could go. Very easy. I want to bump up the progression. I realize though that I'm already adding 15 pounds a week. Even if I add 5 pounds a week, by this time next year I'd be doing 315x5x5, which is probably where I'll end up anyway so why bother changing protocols? I'll tell ya why. I love the sound of big plates rattlin', that's why.

OHP 20x5 - Ha, whaddaya know? A bona fide warmup set.
30x5x5 There was some noticable soreness in my right shoulder. Nothing crippling, but it proves that I'm not ready for ANY heavy pressing just yet. Squats and deadlifts? now that's another story...

Deadlift 150x5x3 - I'm probably going to advance these by 10% next time and see how it goes. Once I get to 225 or so, I'll shift to a madcow approach with ramped sets.

Treadmill 20:00 minutes 1.42 miles - I actually got in a half mile segment of jogging. It felt really good. I'm ready to train for the 5k, and cross that off my list.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:15 AM   #228
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big valsalva View Post
Day after Thanksgiving. Smash Freakin' Toilet Paper.
^ Contender for post of the day

315 x 5 x 5 sounds good. Maybe if things start to get tough you can take 2 steps forward, one back and add 5 pounds a week. Or something like that. In any case, I'm in for the ride.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:45 PM   #229
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Default gl made me do it

Trained last night, but I wanted to get some sleep, so I didn't post up my session. All day long I was focused on squatting. I remembered just how good it felt last time. Combine that with my desire to hear plates rattle, and I was loaded for bear. I was determined to test the waters...just a little bit. 135 for sure, but maybe even 225? If that went well, could I attempt my previous 1RM, or...maybe try for a new one?

Tuesday, 11/30/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post

I just went out and squatted 225x1. Not a little half squat, a full squat.
Thanks for the motivation, glwanabe. I needed that. How about last one to 300 buys the protein powder?

Squat 70x5x5 - Felt just OK, but I was determined to press on, so...
135x1
185x1
225x1 - This is where I unracked the bar and said, "Oh crap," except I didn't say "crap." This was the heaviest weight I had on my back since June 25 (265x7). I almost had to "will" it out of the hole, but I got it done. I'm not ready to train at this weight yet, but I'm thinking I could soon jump to 135.

BP 60x5x5 - Very sore shoulder. I might take an extra day or two off.

Pendlay Rows 60x5x5 - I probably could use a little more weight here.

Treadmill 20:00 1.46 miles. I'm probably going to start timed running segments soon. Just a little more than 12 weeks until the 5k.

So yes, I feel it coming back. I think after the weekend I'll try some heavier deads (225 - 250 or so) just to see if I can handle much more. Likely what will happen is I'll go to five ramped sets on squat and deadlift, but keep everything else at five sets across.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:30 PM   #230
CoopDawg
Max Brawn
Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Supp: AAEFX K-OTIC
CoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by big valsalva View Post
Trained last night, but I wanted to get some sleep, so I didn't post up my session. All day long I was focused on squatting. I remembered just how good it felt last time. Combine that with my desire to hear plates rattle, and I was loaded for bear. I was determined to test the waters...just a little bit. 135 for sure, but maybe even 225? If that went well, could I attempt my previous 1RM, or...maybe try for a new one?

Tuesday, 11/30/10

Thanks for the motivation, glwanabe. I needed that. How about last one to 300 buys the protein powder?

Squat 70x5x5 - Felt just OK, but I was determined to press on, so...
135x1
185x1
225x1 - This is where I unracked the bar and said, "Oh crap," except I didn't say "crap." This was the heaviest weight I had on my back since June 25 (265x7). I almost had to "will" it out of the hole, but I got it done. I'm not ready to train at this weight yet, but I'm thinking I could soon jump to 135.

BP 60x5x5 - Very sore shoulder. I might take an extra day or two off.

Pendlay Rows 60x5x5 - I probably could use a little more weight here.

Treadmill 20:00 1.46 miles. I'm probably going to start timed running segments soon. Just a little more than 12 weeks until the 5k.

So yes, I feel it coming back. I think after the weekend I'll try some heavier deads (225 - 250 or so) just to see if I can handle much more. Likely what will happen is I'll go to five ramped sets on squat and deadlift, but keep everything else at five sets across.
WAY TO HIT THOSE SQUATS BIG VAL!!!!! but remember dont rush yourself to fast but i dont have to tell you this your experienced enough to know all this jabber, keep it goin buddy
badass[bad-ass] adj. - the epitome of the American male. He radiates confidence in everything he does, whether itís lifting weights, ordering a drink, playing a sport, buying a car, or dealing with women. Heís slow to anger, yet brutally efficient when fighting back.
The badass carves his own path. He wears, drives, drinks, watches, and listens to what he chooses, when he chooses, where he chooses. Badass style is understated but instantly recognizable.
CoopDawg is offline   Reply With Quote