Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

I just heard back from one of my surgical team (not the lead surgeon, but his understudy). He seems to agree with the radiology oncologist's assessment of a 15 - 20% chance of recurrence if I don't do radiation. I told him I was leaning toward not doing it. He seemed more than fine with that. So I won't. He also mentioned that typically, once you use radiation, it's forever gone as an option for treating a recurrence. So at least I have something in my hip pocket for down the road.

In the meantime, I've been researching alternative therapies including an alkaline diet. It seems that cancer cells can't survive at all in an alkaline environment. The problem is that I really don't like kale. And it looks like meat makes your body acidic.

Now get this too. Maybe squats DON'T cure cancer. Maybe they actually cause it instead. I need to research more, but there's something about ATP production/breakdown and that reaction actually fueling cancer cells. If so, we're doomed, Charlie Brown.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2010, 12:37 PM   #142
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big valsalva View Post

Maybe squats DON'T cure cancer. Maybe they actually cause it instead. I need to research more, but there's something about ATP production/breakdown and that reaction actually fueling cancer cells. If so, we're doomed, Charlie Brown.
Thanks Val!

Any research on the impact of ATP boosting supplements in fighting this off?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:41 PM   #143
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Sorry folks. I'm still here. Been AWOL for a couple of days. Part of me has been down in the dumps. Part of me has been completely wiped out tired. I've been back to work since last week. Light duty. Part days. I come home midafternoon, eat a bit of lunch, and just crash.

I've realized too that at least for the moment, my priority is to get the trumpet working again. I'm not jetisonning lifting, but just putting it on the back burner...for now. I've got a self-imposed deadline of September 24 to get back on stage. I think that is very doable, if I work at it. And I have been workoing at it every day for the last week and a half. But as you can see, it eats up time. Time I could spend lifting. But my soul needs music now. My body needs to rest and recover.

I never realized how much surgery could take out of you. It's been four weeks today since my operation and I'm still not even at 50% physically. I'm very surprised. I think maybe I put myself back to work too soon, but I had a not from my doctor saying I could go back, so what the hay...

Anyway, common sense needs to prvail, and as much as I miss the iron, I need to be smart, and give it a few more weeks yet. I'll hang around though, and check in almost daily. There are too many good logs here, and I have too many honest to God friends here. I miss you all. I miss the lifting. I miss the journaling. But I'll be back...

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
Old 08-19-2010, 12:01 AM   #144
strkout35
Max Brawn
Points: 10,027, Level: 66 Points: 10,027, Level: 66 Points: 10,027, Level: 66
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

strkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machine

And we'll all be waiting for the workouts to come I definitely agree with putting off lifting. Take your time, rest up, and then go SFW. Crom patiently waits...
strkout35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:05 AM   #145
ElementalVirago
Resident Poop Doctor
Max Brawn
Points: 4,413, Level: 42 Points: 4,413, Level: 42 Points: 4,413, Level: 42
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Fav Supp: Lard
ElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machine

Enough about all this non-important stuff. The real question here is, how is your poop these days?

"If someone tells you something is easy and they can't explain how to do it, it's not easy." --Steve Shaw

ElementalVirago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:16 PM   #146
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Hope all is well Val. Keep blasting that trumpet, and keep taking things one day at a time.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:17 PM   #147
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

^5 Val. small goals at a time. Then make new ones. When you get back to lifting things will be low but trust me things will sky rocket. I was away for 5 years when I did a come back. You will be back. Take this time to heal and come back with a vengance.
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:06 PM   #148
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by strkout35 View Post
And we'll all be waiting for the workouts to come I definitely agree with putting off lifting. Take your time, rest up, and then go SFW. Crom patiently waits...
Thank you, strkout. My goal is to get strong enough to overthrow this "crom" entity and banish it from this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementalVirago View Post
Enough about all this non-important stuff. The real question here is, how is your poop these days?
I've been pooping daily. Sometimes they are thin and wormy. Sometimes they are chunky. Sometimes they float. Sometimes they don't. Not much loglike activity yet though. Of course I've not been eating much real solid food yet. Honestly though I just got out of the loo after an urgent unctioning. It was probably my biggest BM post-op. It was a scatological mess, but it was massive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Hope all is well Val. Keep blasting that trumpet, and keep taking things one day at a time.
Will do, chief. I'm not actually "blasting" the trumpet yet, but I'm getting some time in on a daily basis. My band has a show on September 24 I believe. It is a rare two hour mini-show. My goal is to at least be able to survive that one. Then we'll do a self evaluation after that, and see if I think a full restoration is likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Knapp View Post
^5 Val. small goals at a time. Then make new ones. When you get back to lifting things will be low but trust me things will sky rocket. I was away for 5 years when I did a come back. You will be back. Take this time to heal and come back with a vengance.
I like the "small goals" philosophy. It doesn't always fit wth my timeline, but it seems the sensible approach. Bottom line is: I WILL be back. I WILL resume serious training. I WILL enter a powerlifting meet. I WILL bring home the trophy.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:15 PM   #149
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementalVirago View Post
As Jon Pall once said "as long as your can Squat Heavy and **** Solid, what more does one need out of life!"

BIG VAL! Keep on fighting tooth and nail friend for recovery! While the body rests keep the mind active. I love your take on the small goals lifestyle!

I like the "small goals" philosophy. It doesn't always fit with my timeline, but it seems the sensible approach. Bottom line is: I WILL be back. I WILL resume serious training. I WILL enter a powerlifting meet. I WILL bring home the trophy.

SFC! SFW!
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 01:00 PM   #150
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodybygamma View Post
As Jon Pall once said "as long as your can Squat Heavy and **** Solid, what more does one need out of life!"

SFC! SFW!
Well then, I guess the words of Jon Pall Sigmarsson will add fuel to the motivational fire. Thank for the encouragement, Tony!

F'n Cancer will be smashed! F'n Trumpet will be smashed! F'n Weights will be smashed! Probably in that order too. But they're all being conquered.