Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Just got back from another trip to Mayo Clinic. This time we drove two hours there and two hours back just to sit in an exam room for 30 minutes and have a doctor tell me, "The choice for radiation is entirely up to you." Apparently I'm right on the cusp of definately needing it vs. no, don't worry about it. I was told that if I don't undergo radiation, then there is a 15 - 20% chance of recurrance. If I choose radiation, then we can reduce the chance by about 2/3. I dunno, I just dunno.

I can do the treatment here, just across town, so I don't need to spend a lot of time traveling. There are very few side effects, except the possibility of a stiffening of the neck (permanent, but not crippling), hinderance of saliva glands on the one side (permanent), sore throat (temporary), slight fatigue (temporary). Also, there's two more trips to Rochester before my treatment would start.

I can be done with it today. Walk away and take my 80 - 85% chances, or I can invest another six weeks and get my chances closer to 95%.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2010, 03:06 PM   #122
ElementalVirago
Resident Poop Doctor
Max Brawn
Points: 4,413, Level: 42 Points: 4,413, Level: 42 Points: 4,413, Level: 42
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Lard
ElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machine

Wow, Val, I wish I knew the answer for you. I don't have personal experience with this, but I would say if it were me, I'd go for the radiation so I could have that much more chance of survival.

"If someone tells you something is easy and they can't explain how to do it, it's not easy." --Steve Shaw

ElementalVirago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:21 PM   #123
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

10% is 10% percent, but really consider it through and discuss it with your close ones, val. And just how severe are the permanent side effects and will they effect your carrier in any way etc? Best of luck whatever you decide bro
Old 08-09-2010, 04:47 PM   #124
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementalVirago View Post
Wow, Val, I wish I knew the answer for you. I don't have personal experience with this, but I would say if it were me, I'd go for the radiation so I could have that much more chance of survival.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_swede View Post
10% is 10% percent, but really consider it through and discuss it with your close ones, val. And just how severe are the permanent side effects and will they effect your carrier in any way etc? Best of luck whatever you decide bro
Coin flip city. All the way home I was at peace with doing it. My wife wasn't. I visited with a cancer survivor friend at work who said, "Don't do it." My parents are no help. If the side effects make it so I can't play trumpet, it ain't worth it. If not doing it means more surgery, I'd rather die.

On the bright side I got around some Princess Chicken at a Chinese buffet today. Real food is coming back. And hey, EV, you might be interested to know that the BM's are starting to happen. Most have some shape, and some actually float.

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
Old 08-09-2010, 09:34 PM   #125
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Default Squats Cure Cancer

Squats Cure Cancer

I just had to do it. I had to get my mind off the craziness of the day. After about an hour of trumpet playing, I grabbed my sweats and my Chucks, and went to the gym.

Monday, 8/9/10

I did my usual full dynamic stretching routine before lifting. This just helps me work up a sweat, and get the joints limber. I noticed that my legs are fine, but my shoulder still sucks.

Cuban Raise and Press w/Gymstick -- 8 reps
Shoulder Dislocation w/Gymstick -- 6 reps (usually get 10) right shoulder is really muxed up.

Big Val Squat!!!
Squat
45x5x3 - Very tender right shoulder. It hurt right where I found my most comfortable place for bar position. I had to adjust slightly higher, and it was somewhat better. I hope I can get my groove back, or this ain't gonna be fun.

Cybex Leg Press
250x8x2
250x10

That's it. Drippin wet with sweat. Time to exit.

##############################################

I didn't log my food for today. Things got out of hand by lunch time, and I decided that after yesterday's masive over feed, it would be OK if I came up a little short today. I don't feel it though.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:32 PM   #126
strkout35
Max Brawn
Points: 10,027, Level: 66 Points: 10,027, Level: 66 Points: 10,027, Level: 66
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

strkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machine

wooooohooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! first workout baybay!!!!!!

nice Val and i'm sure it'll be fun watching your squat increase like 30 pounds a week for the next few months

_________Goals:__
Squat:______275
Deadlift:_____315
Bench:______185
Press:_______135

"Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe"
strkout35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:21 PM   #127
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

You just couldn't stay away. lol

Glad things went well for you. Congrates on your first day back.
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:13 AM   #128
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by strkout35 View Post
wooooohooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! first workout baybay!!!!!!

nice Val and i'm sure it'll be fun watching your squat increase like 30 pounds a week for the next few months

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Knapp View Post
You just couldn't stay away. lol

Glad things went well for you. Congrates on your first day back.
Thanks, gentlemen. I don't know if I would label this as a "first day back." I just needed to do something to reestablish some normalcy. I had too many problems with putting the bar across my back. It really is very painful to put it where it belongs. It seems that the shelf I had established just isn't going to work for now. If I move the bar up, the pain is a little better, but it still hurts, and the bar doesn't feel as secure.

No strkout, I won't be adding 30 pounds a week. Not for a while anyway. I need to get in once in a while and find out if that shoulder improves, and if I can make adjustments. I'll keep plugging away though, but for now real life comes first. So as soon as I finish my coffee, I'm going to work for a few hours.

*Ding* Post 1300

Old 08-10-2010, 09:19 AM   #129
strkout35
Max Brawn
Points: 10,027, Level: 66 Points: 10,027, Level: 66 Points: 10,027, Level: 66
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

strkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machine

I was just saying like once you do get back into it for real you're gonna see some ridiculous gains till you get back to where you were before
strkout35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:26 AM   #130
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Squat!

Good to see you back at it in any way, shape or form. You'll get your groove back. It might take a month but it will come.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote