Notices

Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 06-21-2010, 11:48 AM   #1
Dynasty
The Irish One
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,235, Level: 19 Points: 1,235, Level: 19 Points: 1,235, Level: 19
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Dynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributor
Cool Dynasty's Training Journey

Introduction to the Log:

Hello everyone! This is my chapter in my book of life. This is my first ever log and I'm pretty excited. I think writing a log keeps people fairly motivated and you share the ups and downs with people watching your progress from time to time. I have got the idea of writing my own log today actually in the middle of a training session. After viewing several logs here and on BB.com the progress guys and girls have made over the weeks or months or years have been astonishing! In my first post you'll be reading my story of training which includes plenty of advice to the brand newcomers and plenty of ranting about my own mistakes.

I want to share my training journey with you. I want to give you a story, I like stories, I like typing, I want you to be pulled into my journey and travel it with me. I won't write bull stats here, everything will be kept 100% honest. If I'm not honest with you guys, how would I ever be honest with myself. If I have a down day, I'll accept that and I'll write it here, if I feel a sense of accomplishment I will write it here.

Anyway some stuff about me so you get a feel of who I am. (For some other info head over to I Want To Be a Bodybuilder thread in the Bodybuilding forums).

Body Stats taken June 16 2010:

Ok so these are my most recent stats, just a month into my bulk up. This is my first ever bulk up, but throughout my year of training I have been gaining and losing weight and changes all over the place ha. I'll tell you more about this further on. These stats were taken by one of the gym instructors in my gym, she's always keeping me smiling at the start of my training day till I leave the gym, she's a cool chick.

Height: 5ft 7"
Weight: 66.4kg (approx 146 pounds)
Body Fat: 14%
Muscle Mass (FFM): 57kg
Chest: 35.5"
Arms: 12.25"
Hips: 33.25"
Waist: 30"
Thighs: 22"
Calves: 14"
Forearms: 10.25+ (kind of half way between .25-.50)
Shoulders: 43"
Neck: 14.50"

So that's my stats after 1 months into bulking. Sure nothing special but let's make them somewhat special as my training progresses!

Training History (My flaws):

I think to establish where I am it is necessary to put this in here also. I started 'properly' in my little home gym consisting of a bench and a treadmill. Nothing fancy! It came equipped with various weights, a barbell, an ez-bar and my bro converted the back of it into a bit of a squat rack, nothing fancy yet again but it was something (The barbell was tiny compared to the 20kg ones I use now). My brother introduced me to several exercises, I did not read up on anything and maybe that was a big mistake for a noob like myself at that moment.

He told me about a guy named Mark Ripptoe (I didn't know of him till then) lol but come on everyone bloody knows him who has an interest in strength training, legend! He told me about Squat, Benching, Deadlift, Military Press and even Good Mornings. Nothing big and fancy, took awhile to get used to them alright though. I was putting on weight nicely on the bar for a total noob like myself and I guess it felt pretty good. I was a pretty skinny kid a year ago and weak like a girl! (I still am weak as a girl ha!!!)

So from the summer starting for a few months, I was trying to improve myself a little by little bit 3 days a week, but was really bored by the time college started in September. Being unaware of what shock is and what's happening in my body, and wtf is nutrition etc I spent many months making a mistake thousands of newcomers did and not reading or asking advice! So I joined my old gym (I went for a while when I was 16 I wish I stuck with it ) in the start of October. They gave me some induction and the next day I came back I got my first programme. I was so happy, I thought to myself in a year now I'm gonna be a kickass monster!

1) That was my first mistake, getting this programme.
2) My second mistake was not knowing about increasing rep and weight to improve all the time.
3) I still didn't know about nutrition!!!

These are some of the FLAWS in what I believe is the common sticking points of any beginner to a gym. The instructors just give out a programme to you, tell you how to do the exercises but they don't tell you about nutrition, about shocking your body etc etc etc. They go to college for years or whatever and come out and it's almost as if they don't know crap half the time. Obviously since I was new I didn't question their programme, how could I? I learned now from my mistakes. It took me till January to actually figure out I needed to eat a bit if I wanted gains, but it wasn't till this bulking programme that I read up on wtf I'm actually doing and how to sense what my body is telling me.

READING IS OF VITAL IMPORTANCE! If I started out reading and asking questions I wouldn't of spent a year doing jack****e. Yes, I made gains, yes my body did build up from the kid I was but I know damn well if I read books and looked for info on training on the net and even joined a forum like this, I would be well further than I am now. So for any beginner here reading my journey. READ UP and ASK QUESTIONS! One of the hardest things to do is ask, trust me, I headline my life now with the words: "Why didn't I?" So learn from my mistakes. I'm not going into nutrition and all that with you, I'm just telling you I didn't know a damn thing about it.

So the programme I was given was full of, what else but: ISOLATION exercises, OH LOVELY!!! If I looked at the programme now I would of laughed my ass off while thinking to myself how idiotic is the trainer that's giving me this crap. After about 8 weeks, I got another, I was feeling confident and excellent thinking I'm the ****! When quite frankly, I did not have a clue! I just was like some mindless zombie taking the programme and not questioning. Then came my 3rd programme etc.

Next I'm gonna talk about goals. Hmm what did I want...? I wanted to have this hot beach body that I see in the magazines and totally believing in the tripe I read in those magainzes about: "GET 6 PACK ABS IN 8 WEEKS BY FOLLOWING THIS MIRACLE FORMULA!" In my induction I told the trainer I wanted a beach body. They put me on isolation exercises again and again with 40mins cardio 4 days a week. If I was the trainer I'd give advice to the newcomer and tell them to read up and maybe try something like Starting Strength by Ripptoe or some other programme, something that actually would get them somewhere. Instead of giving them a 4 day split when they quite frankly knew feck all in the first place! I didn't know how to get a beach bod at all and the trainers didn't even tell me how to, they should of told me about eating etc instead of me thinking "ok it's February I should starting really eating as little as possible so I'll have a sexy 6pack by June"... Unknowing to myself that I must adjust my nutrition and macro-nutrients accordingly, ha where the heck did some of my muscle go I was thinking... oh right.... You see your body is like your knowledge, if you don't use it over time it will disappear or become so neglected that you forget about it.

So beach bod from skinny ass kid that was the goal, I guess the isolation exercises worked to some extent... However, when trying to do the big moves I was weak! I spent all my time focusing on bicep curls and leg extensions, you know the general crap they feed you. I should of been told go Squats, Bench Press, Deadlift, Cleans, Pull Ups/Chin Ups etc etc. The bigger moves right from the start. I would be somewhere possibly better than I am now. I did gain size and I did fill out more so than the skinny runt I did start out as, but nowhere near what I wanted to be.

At least then I would be much stronger than I am now, and I know in my log I'll feel a bit disgraceful writing up these tiny lifts compared to all of you but hey I learned from my mistake and now I'm a fountain of knowledge compared to what I was. Sure I'll still have questions, but I welcome the advice and will ask for it now, unlike the tiny brat I was. Goodbye to him forever, and welcome me! The determined Irish lad who wants to lift some heavy ass weights and gaining good size and strengthening my whole body in the process! I know now... I know now ladies and gentlemen... I know now, what I did not know then and I am damn well happy!

WELCOME TO MY LOG!!!!

This is my story....

Last edited by Dynasty; 06-22-2010 at 04:48 AM.
Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2010, 11:49 AM   #2
Dynasty
The Irish One
Uber Brawn

Dynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributor

My Weekly Routine:

This is brand new routine and I want to stick this one out for as long as possible. I think it's good but until I finish this week I won't know 100% my exercise selection. For example today I went for back and biceps with 8 exercises in total (6 back, 2 biceps) I ended up knocking off 2 of the back and both of the biceps but replaced it with Pull-Ups. Also I was tempted to do 5 days but that was going to be a bit too much, after reading a lot in the past 2 days I decided 4 day split will do me, was nearly tempted to do 3 days. But I know I won't be happy if I didn't do 4. The below is how it looks as of now. I think a good rest for the weekend will be essential in recovery. I will not be posting my nutrition, at least for now, but I did a sample of it in my thread: I Want To Be a Bodybuilder, think somewhere in page 3, could be wrong. But anyway I eat aplenty and try eat healthy and go 500 or a bit more over my maintenance usually. I'll cut when I reach around 180ish pounds, be sometime in the new year I reckon.

My goals:
- To improve my overall physique and strength levels.
- Slap on a lot of sexy muscle all over and get big size increase.
- Be a hunka spunka in the end. ha.

Supplements:
L-Glutamine Extreme
Creatine (Creapure +Ala + Vit.B1)
Mass XXL (Whey)

Mon: Back and Biceps
Tues: Chest and Triceps
Wed: Off
Thurs: Shoulders
Fri: Legs and Calves
Sat: Off
Sun: Off

The days in detail with each exercise displaying compound/isolation:

(The order is typically how I'll do them on the day also)

Monday:
Back:

Deadlifts (compound)
T-Bar Rows (compound)
Bentover BB Rows (compound)
Good Mornings (low weighted only) (isolation)
Pull-Ups (compound)

Biceps:
Bicep Curls (isolation)
Hammer Curls (isolation)

Tuesday:
Chest:

Incline DB Press (compound)
Flat BB Bench Press (compound)
Cable Cross Overs (isolation)
Push-Ups (compound)
Butterfly (isolation)

Triceps:
Dips (compound)
Skull Crushers (isolation)
Cable Rope Overhead Triceps Extension (isolation)

Thursday:
Shoulders and Upper Back (Traps):

Lateral Raises (isolation)
Arnie Press (compound)
Military Press on machine (compound)
Shrugs (isolation)
Upright Rows (compound)

Friday:
Legs:

Back Squats (compound)
Front Squats (compound)
Romanian Deadlifts (compound)
Leg Press (compound)

Calves:
Calf Raise on Smith Machine/Press Machine (isolation)
Dumbbell Raises (isolation)

Abs 2-3 times a week: Tuesday and (Thursday) Friday

Yeah as you probably see I do adore some of these smilies. So let me tell you what I'm doing on my off-days in smilie sentence.I'll be doing a lot of this: and followed by a bit of this:
and whatever else comes my way.

Throughout the Log:

- Throughout I'll be giving you body stat updates when I get measurements. (once a month like my period...)

- Every training day will be a new update! If I'm late with one, I'll make up for it with a double update.

- My workouts in detail, as well as my general feelings of the day and maybe if anything interesting happened. This will include sets and reps.

- Also highlighting any new personal records in the set for me, maybe it could be a new rep, a new weight etc. Progression will definately be highlighted.

- Progress pics if I can get a decent cam.

- Anything else I can think of, maybe an article and some links and stuffs.

I hope you enjoy my log and travel on the journey with me. Peace!

Last edited by Dynasty; 08-23-2010 at 03:12 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:21 PM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Great read Dynasty. Well put together. Looking forward to seeing you make great progress. 500 cals above maintenance is a good place to be.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:30 PM   #4
Dynasty
The Irish One
Uber Brawn

Monday - June 21 - 2010

Ok to start the log properly I will go through todays routine which is my Back and Biceps.

My workout was going to include: Wide-Grip Lat Pulldown and One-Arm DB Rows but I ended up scrapping them for now. For my biceps I had both the Barbell Curls and Hammer curls, but ended up scrapping both of them also, for now and added in Pull Ups. I still think I need an isolation for the biceps I think Hammers to build on my peak a bit. Not too sure, but advice welcome and sought.

Anyway if you read my story you'll find out I'm not a big strong guy... yet. So I'd like you not to laugh at my amounts, but I hope throughout both you and me will see an improvement I know this may be a pain but I hope it will be ok to write my log in kgs? If there's problems I can convert to pounds.

My Day:

Ok it's really sunny here in the south of Ireland at da mo. It's like 26 degrees out which is OMG in Ireland lol as you can guess. Sure it's nice to see... but not when you're sweating your ass off even more in the gym, damn it was HOT! Dunno if it affected my performance but ah I was more than happy with today so far! I think its a great start

Back:

Deadlift:
A little mention on this, until today I was using only 3 sets and doing them on a high weight for myself, not as high as it would of been, but I've been gradually getting higher and for the past 3-4 weeks I've upped by deadlift by 20kg. I know I'm more than able, I just got to get into this. My normal high was 80kg. 2 warm up sets before these 3 heavy.

85kgx6(PR), 85kgx6(PR), 90kgx5(PR), 60kgx12.

So personal record on every damn set for me in the highs.

T-Bar Rows:
My first time ever doing these, but I liked them a lot. Obiviously no records previous but hey new exercise so everything is some achievement!

40x10, 60x10, 80x10

I'll need to get a feel for these so I can really go high and such, will see next week!

Bentover Barbell Rows:
I used to hate these. My highest is 52.5kg while maintaining good form and got to 60kg but with bad form so doesn't count to me. 1 warm-up then 3 heavy.

55x10(PR), 55x10(PR), 60x8(PR)

Chin-Ups:
I'm weak at Chin-Ups! I find Pull-Ups so much easier.

BWx4, BWx5, Weighted(5kg)x5, BWx6

Biceps:

Pull-Ups:

BWx12, BWx15, BWx20 (rest pause at 15 then finished last 5), Weighted(5kg)x10, Weighted(5kg)x8 (drop set and did 4 more with BW), BWx12

Conclusion:

Well I was entirely happy with the progress I made. I think the belief that I can actually lift heavier if I wanted to was what made me really leap out this week, compared to last week. Also with the T-Bars I can't wait to get back next week and see what I can do with them. I know my lifts are not impressive, but what matters to me is improvement.

Last edited by Dynasty; 06-21-2010 at 01:32 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:31 PM   #5
Dynasty
The Irish One
Uber Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Great read Dynasty. Well put together. Looking forward to seeing you make great progress. 500 cals above maintenance is a good place to be.
Thanks BtB Hoping I will make good solid progress in reps/weight over the next few months.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:32 PM   #6
Dynasty
The Irish One
Uber Brawn

Tuesday - June 22nd - 2010

My day:

Well today went pretty good in my opinion! I couldn't ask for more. I am wrecked after it!!! My arms were killing me near the end and still are as I type this. I could feel my biceps hurting during some of the later workouts since I worked on them yesterday.

I'm telling ya I do way too much walking to and from gym, especially in this heat, I really would love some teleporter! I travel up to an hour to and from gym every training day, 25mins of that is done by transport via train.

Well today is Chest and Triceps.

Chest:

Incline DB Press
This was my first exercise today. My best before today was 22kgx10. The first set was a warm-up and then 3 of my previous top weight which I regard to as heavy with further heavies., maybe did a few too many sets on this exercise this week. But I really love my boobies, so I want to make sure I'm really going at my chest! ha

14kgx20, 22kgx10, 22kgx10, 22kgx10, 24kgx8 (PR), 24kg,x8 (PR) (dropset to 20 with 14's taking 12 more reps, a killer! I was almost crying.)

Flat BB Bench Press

My worst of the big 3 exercises. I used to struggle on this whenever I was not on Smith Machine, but I'm a firm believer I'm doing more on the bench than if I was on it while using the Smith Machine, the Smith Machine is safer too, especially with no spotter. My usual heavy weight for Bench was 55kg. I did 2 heavy sets and 2 lighter sets, 1 of which was a warm-up.

40kgx12, 60kgx6 (PR), 60kgx5 (PR), 40x12

Cable Cross Overs
I like these, they are 'fun'. My max was 52.5kg. 1 warm-up set before.30kgx12, 53kgx10 (PR), 60kgx10 (PR), 65kgx6 (PR)

Superset: x3
Push-Ups (to failure)
Butterfly on Machine (to failure)

Triceps:

Skull Crushers
My max was 22.5kg. 1 warm-up, 2 heavy. My arms were paining by the time I got to this.

15kgx12, 27.5kgx8 (PR), 27.5kgx6(fail) (PR)

Dips
All with BW, my arms were in agony while doing these. Couldn't believe I got some of them done.

BWx6, BWx8, BWx6

Cable Rope Overhead Triceps ExtensionFirst time ever doing these. Took me about a minute to remember how to do them haha. But fairly enjoyable. Didn't want to risk something too heavy for a first time, and my arms were in bits by now.20kgx10, 30kgx8, 30kgx7(fail)

Conclusion:

So all in all, my strength has increased. I know my lfits are nothing special but to me this is progress. Tomorrow is a day off so I won't be writing any work-out here, however, might write about something else.

Question for anyone following:

What is your opinion on the Smith Machine for Benching? Do you think it makes it easier to bench with it etc and do you think it is 'cheating' to go high on it and can't go as high on a normal bench etc?

Last edited by Dynasty; 06-22-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:42 PM   #7
dmaipa
Living in the Shadows
Max Brawn
Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: Food
dmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machine

nice to see some PRs. as for your question, IMO using the smith machine is really by preference. i dont think its cheating at all, smith machine and bench press two different exercises. Personally, i use the smith machine when i know im not going to have a spotter or if i just wanna switch things up. I really believe its more of a preference thing.

THE AIPA PROJECT | HAWAII FITNESS AND AWESOME KU LIFESTYLE BLOG

Youtube Channel: THE AIPA PROJECT

Twitter, Instagram, Facebook: @theaipaproject
dmaipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:43 PM   #8
Dynasty
The Irish One
Uber Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaipa View Post
nice to see some PRs. as for your question, IMO using the smith machine is really by preference. i dont think its cheating at all, smith machine and bench press two different exercises. Personally, i use the smith machine when i know im not going to have a spotter or if i just wanna switch things up. I really believe its more of a preference thing.
Cool I think it is safer. I didn't use it today but I do lift heavier when I do use it though. I think it is a good option if no spotter.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:31 PM   #9
Dynasty
The Irish One
Uber Brawn

Thursday - June 24th - 2010

My day:

Well another hot day here, luckily there was not many people in gym when I was doing my shoulder work so I didn't waste time waiting for stuff like some days. Free weights started to fill up when i moved onto my calves so I must say I timed it perfectly. Pretty happy with my Shoulder exercises that I picked. If you have any suggestions to an exercise I should do, let me know or pop me a PM. Cheers.

Well today is Shoulders and Calves, also did ab work but not listing it.

Shoulders:

Lateral Raises
I usually do 12 x 10 reps, 3 times. First set was warm-up.

12kgx15, 14x6 (PR) (dropped to 12 for another 4), 14kgx8 (PR) (dropped to 12 again for 4), 12x14(fail)

Arnie Press
Usually do 8-10reps at 16kg in each hand. First set below was warm-up.

14kgx12, 18kgx6 (PR) (dropped to 14 for 2 more) , 18kgx6 (PR) (dropped to 14 for 2 more), 16x10

Upright Rows
Max was 40kg, 8times. First set warm-up.

37.5kgx10, 42.5kgx6 (PR), 42.5kgx8 (PR), 22.5kgx15

Military Press (machine)
First set was warm-up, max was 47kg.
45x12, 50kgx8 (PR), 50kgx10 (PR), 50kgx8 (PR)

Shrugs
I usually just pick up a weight around 26kg in both hands or so and lift.

24kgx12, 30kgx10 (PR), 30kgx12 (PR), 30x8 (PR)

Calves:

Calf Raise (on smith)
I combined calf raises with some ab work on smith machine in a superset fashion. In the end this caused me to just do Calf Raises instead of also doing Reverse Calves on Pulley. So I did 6 sets only for today with some ab work which made me vault my legs on top of the smith by swinging from the ground so my body is facing toward the ground and then using my abs I'd 'collapse' into myself, like a situp in the air. Yes, I am quite flexible and yes people are like "WTF" when they see me doing it Monkey Man! lol.

55kg x 20-25reps. (6 times)

Conclusion:
Nice day, any ideas for shoulder exercises let me know, but if you think what I got is sufficient to really build my shoulders let me know. Cheers. Tomorrow is leg day. Woo. Time to up my squat!
Old 06-25-2010, 01:26 PM   #10
Dynasty
The Irish One
Uber Brawn

Friday - June 25th - 2010

My day:

Today are my legs and later on during evening I'm doing a few forearm exercises at home. I was really surprised how long it took me to do 5 exercises, but hey 5 compound exercises is a lot of rest time in between. Add that all up and you're resting a hell of a lot!

Legs:

Squats
Max was 85kg last week. And I usually don't do as many sets as I do now. 2 warm-up sets, 3 heavy sets and 2 mid weight sets (1 after heavy sets and 1 before).

70kgx8, 90kgx5 (PR), 90kgx5 (PR), 90kgx5 (PR), 70kgx8

Front Squats
Was supposed to do Hack Squats but I kinda forgot the technique since they were going to be my first time doing them so I went and did some Front Squats. Max was 40kg. 1 warm-up, 2 heavy.

40x8, 42.5kgx8 (PR)

Romanian Deadlifts
Max was 75kg. 1 warm-up, 3 heavy and a medium.

80kgx6 (PR), 80kgx6 (PR), 80kgx6 (PR), 60kgx12

Lunges
Did some dumbbell lunges. Won't record the weights and reps etc.

Leg Press
Leg Press I've been increasing a lot recently as well. 115kg was my max I did 10 times before, I know I'm well capable of much more, but I don't want to push it. No warm-up, 3 heavy.

120kgx10 (PR), 120kgx10 (PR), 120kgx10 (PR)

Conclusion:

It's nice to say to myself: "I know you got the strength in you to do this." It's evident again that I can keep progressing and that's the main thing. I'm not trying to be Mr. Olympia and don't ever want to be. I just want to keep progressing and get bigger and stronger. Let's try break these weights next week or an extra rep or 2! Weekend to rest and I'm actually delighted. I pushed myself a lot more than I have ever in gym. As long as my next measurements show that in mid-July (3weeks) I'll be damn well happy.