Old 03-16-2014, 10:27 AM   #661
Craig Pfisterer
I Haz a Kat
Max Brawn
Points: 4,544, Level: 42 Points: 4,544, Level: 42 Points: 4,544, Level: 42
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: ON's Pro Complex Gainer
Craig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_swede View Post
Your events training is always inspiring. Strong!!

Skickat från min GT-I9505 via Tapatalk
Thanks swede. Yoke was 125lbs under contest weight so I got a bit of work to do.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2014, 06:55 AM   #662
Craig Pfisterer
I Haz a Kat
Max Brawn

Craig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributor

So here is the plan now: I'm going back to Shreveport to try my hand at the pro card again. I know, I'm coming back from injury (not to mention Saturday's workout left it's mark) but this seems to be my best shot with the events (stones would have been nice haha). The way I'm treating this is as if this were Nationals as I know I won't be able to go out to Reno, NV and it would cost way more than going to Shreveport, LA. So going all in for this show and then the plan is to go into an off-season training period for at least a couple months, maybe until the following year. I think this would be beneficial for me in the long run. Game of inches.

March 18, 2014 – Week 9, Day 1

Dynamic Warm-ups

Axle Clean & Jerks (one clean)
72x5
72x5
116x3
160x3
200x3
220x3
240x3
260x3
280x3
300x3 PR+5lbs & 1 rep
315x2 PR+5lbs & 1 rep

Seated Axle Lockouts (forehead height)
160x5
180x5
200x5
220x5

29 Minutes of Stretching

Comments: Haven't done any type of clean/continental since December so about 3 months out of practice. Didn't help that my biceps were sore and felt like rotten fruit filled with sleeping bees. I had to make a change to my normal axle clean from starting double overhand. I was leery about using over-under grip but I know it will lead to bigger weights that I can get on to my shoulder to lift. More force and grip strength is needed for the DOH grip. It works though; just need to clean up my technique more before show time. The most I had done for a single is 310lbs at Nationals two years ago and the most I've done in the gym was 307lbs on my axle. Considering the time off, it's a damn good start. Very close on both missed reps (1st try at 3rd rep for 300lbs and 315lbs) so I know that the strength is there for more. Moved from there on to seated axle stuff. More of a half press than a lockout and very much where I hit a sticking point on my strict presses. Would have liked more but I knew 220lbs was my limit. I was tempted to try a little more but figured that I already beat myself up with the heavy axle stuff. Arms are going to hate me until they heal.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:38 AM   #663
Craig Pfisterer
I Haz a Kat
Max Brawn

March 20, 2014 – Week 9, Day 2

Dynamic Warm-ups

Squats
45x10
95x5
145x5
195x3
245x3
285x3
325x3
365x3
405x3
445x3
485x3 PR+5lbs

Stiff-legged Dumbbell Deadlifts (straps)
120'sx12
120'sx12
120'sx12
120'sx12

Standing Cable Rope Abs
180x18

27 Minutes of Stretching

Comments: Surprised myself a little today on squats. Everything felt slow and heavy and I was worried I'd only be able to hit 405lbs tops. Soreness, aches and the weight jostling on my back were a reminder to keep my head down and keep pushing. With the way 445lbs felt, I knew I had a shot at a PR attempt. As I previously mentioned, my squat records of the past were slightly high so really anything that I hit with this style now was kind of the new standard. To beat one of those records means I'm going in the right direction. Wasn't as tough as the 465lbs from last time. Never done sldl with dumbbells before. I strapped up to save my grip and because my right forearm is still not 100% from the previous workouts. Felt good, able to really focus on the hamstrings. Had a wicked lower back pump after all the reps. 120's are the heaviest dumbbells so I'll have make some if I want to go heavier. Abs were pretty good, I lost my grip early on and had to reset. I sweating like a bastard and my hamstrings were all twitchy. Going to need a lot of sleep to recover haha.

Old 03-22-2014, 05:53 PM   #664
Craig Pfisterer
I Haz a Kat
Max Brawn

March 22, 2014 – Week 9, Day 3

Dynamic Warm-ups

Sumo Deadlifts
135x5
185x5
225x3
275x3
315x3
365x3
405x3
455x3
495x3
Add Straps
530x2

55 Gallon Oil Drum Bearhug Carries/Prowler Pushes Medleys
210x75'/400x75'
210x75'/400x75'
210x75'/400x75'
210x75'/400x75'
210x75'/400x75'

27 Minutes of Stretching

Comments: Woke up earlier than usual as stuff needed to be done. Had to pick up stones from Jenkins' place and then take them out to Lancaster to their new home. Kind of weird going to Jenkins' gym and seeing his stuff and him not there and with WSM happening, constant reminders the he is gone. Out at Ironmill so figured I'd do my workout there. Sumo pulls for triples. Similar to last time, just my grip was a bit better. It tricked me with how nice 455lbs felt in my hands that I had no reason to think 495lbs would be a bridge too far. Could only pull the one DOH and had to switch to alternated grip. Lost bits of fingernail on my underhand grip side. Only got a double with 530lbs. Maybe would have had another rep if I hadn't screwed up so bad the set before, missing a lift and then being out of position for the remaining pulls. Didn't realize there wasn't a sandbag or prowler there so I had to go home to finish up the workout. Felt like sleeping the whole drive back. Swept up the street of loose gravel and got ready for the suck Took out 50lbs from the oil drum and put some tape around it to help with the slip factor. Probably need to invest in a sandbag and a keg. Doing the medley once was bad enough, let alone five times. Going to sleep forever tonight haha.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:09 PM   #665
Craig Pfisterer
I Haz a Kat
Max Brawn

March 25, 2014 – Week 10, Day 1

Dynamic Warm-ups

Axle Clean & Strict Presses (clean every rep)
72x5
72x5
116x3
116x3
160x5
180x5
200x5
220x5
240x5
250x5

Seated Axle Lockouts (forehead height)
165x5
185x5
205x5
225x4

30 Minutes of Stretching

Comments: Ugh, I hate cleaning the weights. So much bruising haha. Really surprised myself on these today and I think my technique is getting better and better with the axle. Really taking advantage of the rebound from racking the weight to just shove it up there. I could tell when my timing was off as the weight felt 10x heavier. I had thought 220lbs would be my top end but I was wrong. Then I thought 240lbs was it but again I was wrong. I'd say the 250lbs was easier because adding the plates kept it from bouncing. Only downside to this workout (besides belly bruises) was that my right shoulder just got super achy after my last rep with 250lbs. Going to need to keep an eye on it. Moved from there on to seated axle stuff. I wasn't expecting much here on account of doing them last week and doing a whole bunch of strict pressing beforehand. Achy shoulder didn't help matters. Did what I could but 225lbs was too much for me this time. Did a bunch of stretching to finish up the day.

Old 03-31-2014, 04:57 PM   #666
Craig Pfisterer
I Haz a Kat
Max Brawn

As much as I'd like to, I can't ignore the bad workouts when they happen. The other two workouts from last week were bad workouts. Hopefully this won't happen again with some adjustments to the training cycle.

March 27, 2014 – Week 10, Day 2

Dynamic Warm-ups

21" Safety Squat Bar Box Squats
65x10
115x5
165x5
215x3
265x3
315x3
365x3
415x3
465x2
505x0

Comments: Knew something was off, I was just plain tried all day. Couldn't stop yawning. Light stuff felt fine but once I got going, it felt super heavy. Had to grab the rack to save myself on 465lbs. I thought perhaps I wasn't firing on all cylinders and just needed to psyche up. Yeah, just about crumpled by 505lbs. Exhaustion was too much and I scrapped the workout, went home, showered and went to sleep early without dinner.

March 29, 2014 – Week 10, Day 3

Dynamic Warm-ups

Deadlifts
155x5
155x5
205x3
205x3
245x2
295x2
335x2
385x2
425x2
Add Straps
475x2
515x2
560x0

Comments: I thought that resting would be enough to make me back to normal. Nope. With the downpour, outside work was not happening so the plan was to do deadlifts and make up the assistance stuff I missed on Day 2. Didn't happen. Weights just felt heavy, even at the start. Tried to stay positive but again, hit a wall. Rest and get back in the captain's chair for the next week.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:46 PM   #667
linedriver465
Max Brawn
Points: 5,829, Level: 49 Points: 5,829, Level: 49 Points: 5,829, Level: 49
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 3.5 years
Training Type: Volume
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Caffeine
linedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beast

Goddamn - strong work. I'm jealous haha. Keep it up!

"Like" my Facebook author page for future article updates

Follow my lifting log!

"Life is too short to dick around" - Steve Shaw
linedriver465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:47 PM   #668
Craig Pfisterer
I Haz a Kat
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by linedriver465 View Post
Goddamn - strong work. I'm jealous haha. Keep it up!
Thanks, will do.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:50 AM   #669
Craig Pfisterer
I Haz a Kat
Max Brawn

April 01, 2014 – Week 11, Day 1

Dynamic Warm-ups

Barbell Incline Bench Presses (2 count pauses)
45x10
80x5
110x5
140x3
160x3
180x3
200x3
220x3
240x3
260x3
280x3

Standing Dumbbell Presses
80'sx10
80'sx10
80'sx10
80'sx10

29 Minutes of Stretching

Comments: Apprehensive going into this workout with the achenes in my right shoulder. Did something to it last week strict pressing and probably aggravated by repetitive motions as work. My main thoughts were would it make me weaker, would it get worse lifting and would it prevent me from get full range of movement. I think it passed all those parameters. Even with the shoulder thing, workout went well. Hit what I wanted to hit. Still finding that what I can hit solid without wrist wraps is about 20lbs under what I can hit with them (plus a lot of slop on top). Standing presses with the dumbbells were a bit more touch and go. The gym (or someone who lifts there) bought some new 85lbs dumbbells and I was tempted to use those. However, I did 80's because I wasn't sure how the shoulder would feel and I wasn't confident in my double dumbbell clean abilities. I think the last time I tried with 85's (couple years ago), I barely got them to my shoulders. Other than some unpleasantness with the shoulder, these were pretty good. Without a back support, I could really feel my upper back working hard to stabilize. It felt like my traps were fighting me the whole time with the presses. Another good one, just got to keep a watchful eye on the shoulder.

Last edited by Craig Pfisterer; 04-02-2014 at 06:57 AM.
Craig Pfisterer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:46 AM   #670
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Monster pressing big man. Stay strong.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote