The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

Awesome work in here
Old 09-20-2013, 09:40 PM   #552
Craig Pfisterer
I Haz a Kat
Max Brawn
Points: 4,544, Level: 42 Points: 4,544, Level: 42 Points: 4,544, Level: 42
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Fav Supp: ON's Pro Complex Gainer
Craig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Looking strong all over the place. High rep front squats with an axle at that weight is just ridiculous strong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Easy pulling hombre.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruteforce View Post
Awesome work in here
Thanks guys. I still got my hands full with keeping up with my competition for this show.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:35 PM   #553
Craig Pfisterer
I Haz a Kat
Max Brawn

Craig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributor

September 20, 2013 Press Training

Dynamic Warm-ups

Close Grip Barbell Bench Presses
45x10
95x5
140x5
175x5
205x3
225x5
260x5
295x11 PR+5lbs & 2 reps
225x8
225x8
225x8

Axle Strict Presses
145x3
185x8
185x8
185x8
185x8

Seated Dumbbell Overhead Triceps Extensions
60x12
60x12
60x11 (miscounted)

IYTs
5sx12
5sx12
5sx12

24 Minutes of Stretching

Comments: Mulling things around in my head and decided I wanted to do bench pressing. Benching as primary, strict overhead as supplementary. Initially the weights were going to be 5lbs lighter but my ego would not allow for me to do work sets of less than two plates a side. I was really surprised with how easy 295lbs felt. Cut it short once I felt like I could miss the next rep. Arms were pretty tried doing the down sets. Pairing the strict presses like I'm doing for jerks, 4x8. Took a little off of what I did last time since I was adding another set and doing it after a lot of benching as opposed to being somewhat fresh. For extensions, I went really light, working on being as strict as possible. Not bad, just lost count on the last set. Finished up with upper back and shoulders, stretching and burritos.

Old 09-21-2013, 07:09 PM   #554
Craig Pfisterer
I Haz a Kat
Max Brawn

September 21, 2013 Event Training

Dynamic Warm-ups

Yoke
250x50'
250x50'
410x50'
410x50'
555x50' in 7.21 seconds
640x50' in ??? seconds
725x50' in 9.82 seconds

18" Pick Farmer's Walk
140x50'
190x50'
240x50' in 7.54 seconds
270x50' in 8.50 seconds
300x50' in 9.11 seconds

Car Deadlift Frame Hold
Carx1
Car+90x1
Car+180x1
Car+200x1 for 39.66 seconds

Atlas Stone Loads
220x3 to 50"
325x3 to 50"
415x3 to 50"

Comments: I got in some great training but kind of a crappy and exhausting day besides that. Won't get into that here. The goal was to get my usual yoke and farmer's work in and then hopefully get stones in as well. It was only me and another guy there when I arrived and he left before I did farmer's so I thought of a back up plan. For yoke, I was worried I was moving slow. Turns out I was wrong after comparing it to my times and seeing the video. I don't know what my time was with 640lbs as the camera just took two pictures instead of recording it. My last set was just under 10 seconds so quite pleased with that as it is close to a 2 second improvement with this kind of weight. Farmer's walk went well too. Longer handles allowed me to move a bit faster. These felt fast with my foot speed. Only thing is the pick as I feel like I'm really getting slowed down. Happy with getting 300lbs in just over 9 seconds. With no else there, I didn't feel comfortable doing stones so I dragged out the car deadlift frame. Not sure how low the pick will be for the contest so I'm going from 12". Rather than guess what I'm lifting, I put my car on it. I had used it in the past but never got close to the contest +270lbs in the handles. It felt like it would be a crappy session when the car by itself felt fused to the ground at my first attempt. Just my head messing with me as I got pretty easy after that. I did singles to see if it was a good weight for a hold. I know my weakness is just going to be getting the thing to lockout to do the hold. +180lbs was kind of tough to pick up but I knew I had a little more in me and I wanted to work my grip hard. Felt tougher than the setup I had about a month ago with the plates and tire and people. Held it for about 3 seconds longer. I'll take it. I tried doing a set with my fat gripz but that was just stupid. Some guys came by and I stuck around so I could do stones. When I finally got to lift, I just do two warm-up sets and then one heavy set with the 415lbs stone. I got three with some effort and screwed up a fourth by getting off balance in the lap. I just stopped it there. I'm rusty but I got the strength and that was my biggest concern. I'm just glad to be home to recover.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:03 AM   #555
Craig Pfisterer
I Haz a Kat
Max Brawn

Things are getting serious now as the contest isn't just some far off date now. Got to get some things I'm trying out and I have to get some more structure for events besides the yoke and farmer's (those are perfect). For dumbbell, I'm going to try to focus on just my strong side from now until the show. For the hummer tire deadlift, I'm going to be trying out a deadlift suit and hopefully be able to up my weights a bit in training. Stones, well, I think that will be every other week with one being heavy to low platform and the other being light to high platform. The event is a little different as it isn't most reps with heaviest stone wins but total weight lifted in 60 seconds. For instance, if someone does 10 reps with 300 over 60", they would need to do either 9 reps with 350 over 48" or 8 reps with 410 over 40". Might as well work both the high and the low load (low is still 50" for me haha) to prep. That leaves the two grip intensive events (car deadlift hold and arm-over-arm). Going to put these in the week I don't do stones (week 4 is a rest week). Car deadlift hold pick up is supposedly 18" which should make it quite a bit more manageable for me to pick it up. Arm-over-arm is a bit tougher to line up so I'm going down to Brute Strength Gym on 10/27 to do a plane pull for charity. I'm going to try and do it as an arm-over-arm pull and this is probably my only session to do it. Just got to keep lifting, pushing it and waiting.

September 23, 2013 Overhead Event Training

Dynamic Warm-ups

Circus Dumbbell Clean and Presses (Left Side Only)
20x5
20x5
50x5
80x3
110x3
130x1
145x4
145x4
145x4
145x4
165x2
185x0
185x2 PR+5lbs

Axle Jerks
180x3
230x8
230x8
230x8
230x8

Band Triceps Pressdowns
LBx25
LBx25
LBx25
LBx25

Face Pulls
LB+MBx25
LB+MBx25
LB+MBx25
LB+MBx25

27 Minutes of Stretching

Comments: After some debate with myself, I'm going to only do my left side (strong side) for circus dumbbell leading up to this contest. My weaker arm is 15lbs behind for a max lift last I checked and expending energy is probably taking away from pushing the side I'm going to use at the show. A little weird just doing the one side. Both biceps became extremely sore once I got up to working weight from stone training on Saturday. Surprised myself with how fast 165lbs went up, I think I was really excited prior to the lift because I became airborne looking at the video. I screwed up on my first attempt at 185lbs. The first mistake is that I cooled down too much from my previous set. My father had stopped by the gym to talk with me. The second mistake was not chalking up my shoulder. When I went for my initial drive, the dumbbell slid, so I had to readjust and expend more energy before attempting to press. I rested a bit and decided to give it another shot and hit both reps; first one solid, the second one shaky. Happy with that as I'm better at singles and it means I'm getting better. Biggest lesson learned is to just bath in chalk like a chinchilla before circus dumbbell haha. Moved on to axle work. I wasn't sure how this would feel since my left side would be ready (but fatigued) while my right hasn't really pressed anything yet. Didn't seem to be an issue. First set was the roughest and I got better at driving under the bar as the sets went on. On set three, I felt and heard a lot of snaps and pops in my legs around my knees and ankles. Band work was next and while it is getting easier, I'm going to keep the tensions the same until it feels as easy as when I used mini bands. Good amount of stretching for hamstrings to finish up the day.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:10 AM   #556
Craig Pfisterer
I Haz a Kat
Max Brawn

September 24, 2013 Deadlift Training

Dynamic Warm-ups

8" Block Pulls
165x5
255x5
345x3
435x3
Added Straps
Added Metal Gear Pro Deadlifter (Straps Down)
525x4
525x4
525x4
525x4
Straps Up (loose)
600x2
Straps Up (tight)
675x2
No Suit
525x11

Glute Ham Raises
LBx3
LB+47x8
LB+47x8
LB+47x8
LB+47x8

Wide Grip Pulldowns
190x12
190x12
190x12

Ab Wheel
bwx15
bwx15
bwx15

30 Minutes of Stretching

Comments: Moment of truth kind of session as this would be my first pulling in a suit. After getting advice from friends with more experience/strength than me, I went for it. It was definitely not comfortable but I didn't have too hard of a time getting it on. In preparation, I changed two things. One is that I added 1" of mats under my feet to get the pull right at contest height (17") because I knew that once I got the straps of the suit on tight, getting down to the bar was going to be a feat in and of itself. The second was recalculating my max. I was initially basing it off of a 705lbs goal weight but I'm now using a 750lbs goal weight. For the 70% work, I did it with the straps down. Didn't really notice a difference other than lockout feeling weird. I think a lot that has to do with the height of the pull since these things are supposed to give pop off the floor. It is awful if you get off the groove though, which is what happened on the second rep of my final 70% set. For the first double, I got the straps up and they were on quite loose, like they'd fall off my shoulders if I relaxed. Didn't feel like a big difference here other than a bit harder to get to the bar. I wasn't convinced at this point to invest in the suit. For the final double, I had the straps cranked down. This was more like it. Just getting set to the bar was difficult, I felt like I was cranking a jack-in-the-box to get setup. It felt ridiculously heavy but I also felt I could do another rep or two. Quite strange to have that feeling of something being really heavy and yet be able to move it. Even if I only get 30lbs out of it right now (maybe), it is worth it to get some extra points at the show. Took off the suit for the down set and got 11 reps with at least one or two in the tank. Lower back was beat by this point but on to glute ham raises. I was taking fairly long breaks to let my lower back recover here. Pulldowns were quite easy now that I'm getting used to them. I may go up a bit more for next time. Finished up with ab wheel and stretching.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:43 AM   #557
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

Big pulls and nice work on those farmers.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:35 PM   #558
Craig Pfisterer
I Haz a Kat
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruteforce View Post
Big pulls and nice work on those farmers.
Thanks brute.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:52 PM   #559
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Crazy. If I were using 8" pulls it would be at my knee.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:39 PM   #560
Craig Pfisterer
I Haz a Kat
Max Brawn

September 26, 2013 Squat Training

Dynamic Warm-ups

21" Axle Front Box Squats
72x10
116x5
160x5
195x5
235x3
275x3
315x3
350x11
275x8
275x8
275x8

Angled Leg Presses
+500x3
+600x8
+600x8
+600x8
+600x8

Chest Supported Rows
340x12
340x12
340x12

Leg Raises
bwx15
bwx15
bwx15

32 Minutes of Stretching

Comments: Right knee has been sort of bothering me since my suited pull workout. I was very concerned that it would hinder my workouts. Luckily I was wrong. Very much the same as last time and I had a rep goal set in my mind to reach and I hit it at 11. Again, felt like I left at least one in the tank here. I increased the weight considerably on leg press since it was so easy last time. I think a lot of it has to do with feeling more comfortable with the leg press and getting used to all the squatting beforehand. Rows still going strong. I dropped the weight from the leg raises and I'm just going to do them with bodyweight. I don't want to be killing myself on ab work since I'm doing beltless sets.

September 27, 2013 Press Training

Dynamic Warm-ups

Close Grip Barbell Bench Presses
45x10
95x5
140x5
175x5
205x3
245x3
280x3
315x9 PR+4 reps
245x8
245x8
245x8

Axle Strict Presses
150x3
190x8
190x8
190x8
190x8

Seated Dumbbell Overhead Triceps Extensions
65x12
65x12
65x12

IYTs
5sx12
5sx12
5sx12

30 Minutes of Stretching

Comments: With how easy 295lbs felt last week, I knew I had to go big with 315lbs. My best was only a rough set of 5 and I knew that was unacceptable with how I dominated 295lbs. I got pumped and hit it for 9. I wasn't expecting that, especially after I had to catch myself after the third rep. The down sets felt really heavy after calming down from the exciting heavy set. That definitely meant the overhead pressing was going to be a pain too. Weight didn't feel heavy, just arms and shoulders were tired. I still managed to get all the reps. Keep track of how many reps I was doing on triceps this time haha.