Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Training Logs (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Quicksilver's "freedom" log (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3283)

quicksilver0587 05-15-2010 10:33 AM

Quicksilver's "freedom" log

OK, so I'm pretty much finished with grad school. 6 more weeks of research and that's it, I'm done.

I had intentions to start off this week, but I had relatively major oral surgery (I'm getting a tooth implanted, if you want to know more, feel free to ask).

Right now I'm going to pretty much focus on getting back in shape. I feel disgusting.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm going to wait until week 2 until I start major supplementation use, so I can get a handle on my schedule for research. On my time off, I nabbed some great deals on stuff, and back-ordered supplements were finally shipped to me.

I got 4 tubs of Monster Amino 5000 (@10 bucks a piece)
creatine monohydrate
GNC MegaMen
Fish oils
ALCAR 1000(@40% off)
NO2 Black (@40% off)
Jack3d that I still have to finish off
ReceptorMax by Biotest (finally came out of backorder)
Alpha-GPC by whatever company happens to be selling it the cheapest
And last, but not least, GABA (pre-bed time) and Leucine.

Oh, and then whatever protein happens to be close-dated.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As far as the training routine:

Sunday- off

Monday- Deadlifts- 5x5
Incline DB BP 5x5
Pullups- 5x5
Lateral Raises- 3x12

Wednesday- Squats- 5x5
Seated DB OH press- 5x5
Bench Press- 5x5
BOBB rows- 5x5

Friday- Leg Press- 5x5
Stiff-legged deadlifts- 5x5
Dips- 5x5
One-Arm DB rows- 5x5

Tue, Thu, and Sat- Tabata followed by Long Term Cardio (LTC)
I'll start off with 10 seconds on, 20 seconds off for 6 sets, and work from there. The exercise I'll be using will be burpees. Chances are, the 10 on, 20 off might be too easy, but we'll see. I'll finish off the hour (so around 55 minutes) on the treadmill, because it will be easier to mark progress using that (incline and speed).
Diet:
I'll clean up my diet from what it currently is (which is ****). Not much more than that really. I pretty much try to stick around 1g/lb of BW for protein, and the same with carbs. I'm just going to eat when I'm hungry, since I'm not trying to bulk or cut. Between research and work, I may not be able to be picky. I'll be sure to try to log my eating as well. It'll probably help me not eat ****. Maybe after a certain point, I may start doing the Metabolic Diet again, since I had great results the last time I did it. Just interested in getting back into the swing of things right now.
To determine my progress, I will be using a Taylor scale which uses BEI to determine BF% and all that good stuff. it may not be completely accurate, but I will be using it under the same conditions, every Sunday morning.

Pictures will also be taken and posted.

Feel free to comment! Honestly, despite getting this degree, I truly realize the immense amount of information out there, and that I (and everyone else) can still learn.

BendtheBar 05-15-2010 11:15 AM

I really like the design of your program. Are the first two sets of each 5x5 working warmups?

And oral surgery...blech. Hope you're feeling ok.

jslep 05-15-2010 11:27 AM

^^ that does not sound like fun. i had a tooth pulled in the back of my mouth and when i went in i told them i didn't have insurance and they were like thats cool it will be $100 paid up front. and i was like awesome(cause i was in so much pain) and i sh*t you not the dentist gave me a local and says " alright we'll give that a minute to set up" and he wasn't joking i bet he walked out and less than a minute later he pops back in and says "alright then lets get started". i've never gripped anything so hard in my life!!!! "You good he says" and my grunt said yes, no , maybe, probably, don't think so and HELL NO all at once. hurts now just to think back on it. i feel for ya man!

quicksilver0587 05-15-2010 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 56471)
I really like the design of your program. Are the first two sets of each 5x5 working warmups?

And oral surgery...blech. Hope you're feeling ok.

Damn, didn't even think of that. I usually only warm up for my first exercise, and by the time I get to the others I'm movin pretty well. So maybe add 2 sets to pyramid up for deadlifts, squats, and legpress.

Honestly though, it all depends. I'll be sure to log it accordingly.

quicksilver0587 05-16-2010 05:20 PM

Me: "You know, the larger vitamin is actually cheaper per serving."
Customer: "Yeah, well I don't have forty dollars on me."
Customer walks to the counter.
Me: "Do you have our discount card?"
Customer: "No."
Me: "Do you want to receive e-mail coupons? It's only from our company, we won't spam you or sell your information."

WTF? Our prices are already pretty high, and people always try to make them higher...

Oh, 178.4 lbs, 16.2 % BF. It seemed to lowball the BF% a bit, but whatever.

BendtheBar 05-16-2010 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quicksilver0587 (Post 56764)
Me: "You know, the larger vitamin is actually cheaper per serving."
Customer: "Yeah, well I don't have forty dollars on me."
Customer walks to the counter.
Me: "Do you have our discount card?"
Me: "Do you want to receive e-mail coupons? It's only from our company, we won't spam you or sell your information."

WTF? Our prices are already pretty high, and people always try to make them higher...

Oh, 178.4 lbs, 16.2 % BF. It seemed to lowball the BF% a bit, but whatever.

That must have been my wife. I can't talk her into buying bulk to save my life.

quicksilver0587 05-17-2010 07:54 PM

OK, good workout, but can't wait for next week. Numbers are ****ing pitiful. Can't wait to start throwin up some much better weight in the upcoming weeks. I can't really complain, having lost at least 15 lbs of muscle and its glycogen. I'm just glad my shoulder wasn't acting up. Injuries suck.

Deadlifts: 135lbs, 185lbs warm ups for 6, 275lbs 5x5
Incline DBBP: 45lbs warmup for 8, 60lbs 5x5
Pullups (pronated grip): BW 4x5, Hammer grip 1x5
Lateral Raises: 10lbsx8 warm-up 20lbs 3x12
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Daily Comments:

Mass Effect 2 is ****ing addicting. First game ever to start playing over again. Goin Renegade this time around.

I'm working with all chicks for most of my research (score!). The effect of standard and BW corrected pre-game (clicking slot machine type deal) snack and the effect on eating. (long story, not sure if I can go into further detail)

The other small portion of my research is with a friend. The effect of low carb, or low hydration status and it's effect on weight loss and performance in collegiate wrestlers. My friend and I hypothesize that the low-carb group will reign supreme for weight loss and performance.

Had 1 scoop of Jack3d before workout (45 minutes)
Had Monster amino serving w/ 5g of CM RIGHT after my workout, filling out an app for PT position at the gym.
Finished 1 scoop of Pro-NOS protein while typing this up.

Questions, comments, or concerns?

quicksilver0587 05-18-2010 01:34 PM

OK, so the scale did severely lowball my %BF. I may have to re-calibrate it ro something or a setting may be off. I got to use a bod-pod today to determine my %BF and needless to say I wasn't happy.

Hopefully after training for a while this will change. Kind of a blow to my ego, but all the more fuel to the fire.

ricka182 05-18-2010 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quicksilver0587 (Post 57187)
OK, so the scale did severely lowball my %BF. I may have to re-calibrate it ro something or a setting may be off. I got to use a bod-pod today to determine my %BF and needless to say I wasn't happy.

Hopefully after training for a while this will change. Kind of a blow to my ego, but all the more fuel to the fire.

FYI on those scales...They're wrong. I had my Taylor tell me I was at 26% once. I wasn't happy for obvious reasons.. I checked 2 days later, and somehow I had found a way to drop 19% BF!! Not bad for doing nothing.. No matter how hard you try, you'll rarely get any real consistency with those things. The amount of water in your system, moisture on your feet, blood sugar levels, etc..so many things that need to be identical each measurement.

Where did you get to use Bod-Pod? I'd love to step in and really find out what I'm made of, literally...

And don't let it be a blow to your ego either man...take it as a stepping stone, i.e. a place to start, and something to look back on with a smile. As, when you're back in shape..look back, smile, and feel good about the progress you've made. With hard work and determination you can only move forward..

bas781 05-18-2010 02:24 PM

I wouldn't be concerned with the BF%. Your programming (which I dig very much) will knock that # down promptly.