Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 04-20-2010, 09:39 PM   #21
Mombow111
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,550, Level: 22 Points: 1,550, Level: 22 Points: 1,550, Level: 22
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Mombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooltom View Post
Tuesday, April 20 2010
My back was a bit tight, but it felt good after I got the pause squats (below) out of the way. Almost puked again...which has been a problem every squat workout. It's not an intensity thing, but a morning/breakfast thing. I used to squat in the afternoon and had excellent workouts, no puke, no tightness, but I have to get into the gym earlier these days which forces me to get myself going sooner than I would like, or, as it seems, am able.
I hate that feeling, that's why I've espoused a no heavy foods at all during the day before a workout strategy. Works for me, but that's probably because I'm packing a few extra pounds of padding haha. Now on the other hand, intensity induced naseau is a feeling I could get used to.
Mombow111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2010, 09:56 PM   #22
cooltom
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,358, Level: 20 Points: 1,358, Level: 20 Points: 1,358, Level: 20
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

cooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mombow111 View Post
I hate that feeling, that's why I've espoused a no heavy foods at all during the day before a workout strategy. Works for me, but that's probably because I'm packing a few extra pounds of padding haha. Now on the other hand, intensity induced naseau is a feeling I could get used to.
I'm thinking of just having a whey shake and maybe a little bit of oatmeal or a medium apple before squats from here on out. The worst morning workouts I had were when I drank a Spike. I felt wired, but the pukey feeling ruined it.

Follow my progress: http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...-powerful.html
cooltom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:00 PM   #23
cooltom
Uber Brawn

cooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Crazy SLDLs. What's your deadlift max?
Thanks BTB, Jwood, and Kman.

On deadlifts, I haven't done a true single yet, but I reached 425x4 on my last training cycle. It puts me at about 480 according to the max calculator. I'm going to push it this training cycle to see how high I can really get.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:00 PM   #24
cooltom
Uber Brawn

Default Thursday, April 22 2010

Thursday, April 22 2010

Upper Accessory

1) Overhead Press (clean the weight to shoulders+very strict press)

145x5, 155x5, 165x7, 8

I took a break after 165x7 to let my partner get going, and decided to go after it one more time and got the PR!

2) Close-Grip Incline Bench Press

215 x 4 x 5,5,4,3

3) Chins

BWx20, 45x7, 7, 6, 5, 3, 2, BWx12, 10

4) 1-Arm DB Jerks with Fat Gripz

80x3, 90x3, 100x3, 105x2x3, 110x2x1, 115xMany Failures

I probably failed with the 115 about 10 times. Last workout I got 110, and 110 was much smoother today. I also only failed with 115 two or three times last time I did them, so I progressed by taking many more attempts Reminds me of what Ed Coan said in the "Power Unlimited" documentary. After he and Kirk Karwoski failed on their squat attempts, Captain Kirk came up to him and said, "ha ha, I failed with more weight than you did."

Last edited by cooltom; 04-22-2010 at 04:21 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:19 PM   #25
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Numbers looking good. I liked the quote:""ha ha, I failed with more weight than you did.""

After i do a heavy set on OHPs I never have enough strength to get anywhere close again.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 05:28 PM   #26
CallmeKing
Max Brawn
Points: 3,800, Level: 38 Points: 3,800, Level: 38 Points: 3,800, Level: 38

CallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributor

Didn't realize this was your log man. Strong ass numbers in here.

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies with in us." Ralph Waldo Emerson
CallmeKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:57 PM   #27
cooltom
Uber Brawn

Thanks for stopping by CMK. And, BTB, always great to have you here.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:02 PM   #28
cooltom
Uber Brawn

Default Friday, April 23 2010

Friday, April 23 2010

1) Deadlift

360x3, 385x3, 410x6

2) Box Squat

225x2x5, 275x2x3, 225x5

Wow, these were intense. Very different from Pause Squats, but a good change of pace. I used a low-box, below parallel and really found it difficult to descend because I kept waiting for the box to stop me. However, instead of barreling into the hole, I moved very slowly so I wouldn't hurt myself. I also really felt this in my hamstrings and glutes, as well as my quads. I need to put these in my assistance rotation.

3) Leg Curls

170x12, 200x10, 205x8, 220x3x5

4) Ab Wheel

4x15

Old 04-24-2010, 07:11 AM   #29
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooltom View Post

Wow, these were intense. Very different from Pause Squats, but a good change of pace. I used a low-box, below parallel and really found it difficult to descend because I kept waiting for the box to stop me. However, instead of barreling into the hole, I moved very slowly so I wouldn't hurt myself. I also really felt this in my hamstrings and glutes, as well as my quads. I need to put these in my assistance rotation.
They will get much easier. But then again I don't perform box squats below parallel. How wide is your squat stance?

Great deadlift numbers.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 09:25 AM   #30
cooltom
Uber Brawn

Thanks BTB.

My normal stance is wider than shoulder width, probably by about six inches on each side. The box squat stance was roughly the same. I think these will be helpful for me in terms of coming out of the hole with my hams and glutes and I also didn't wear knee sleeves or wraps. I usually wear something on my knees because I had an injury a couple years ago and they can pretty sore if my form goes awry. I have no soreness today, form was very good yesterday. I'm quite pleased.

I'm glad to have another assistance exercise to use. I'm going to rotate things a bit more than I have in the past because I used to just work something over and over and over until the gains slowed to a halt.

I also figured out how we can do block pulls at our gym, which I might do in place of deadlifts during this cycle in order to pull some really heavy weights and fry my CNS a bit less. I'm going to stack two-three one hundred pound plates on each other, then cover them with mats. My gym finally bought a stack of thick mats, so I'm going to break them in.