Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Logs

Notices

Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 03-10-2010, 08:58 PM   #31
folkprophet
Brawn
Points: 657, Level: 13 Points: 657, Level: 13 Points: 657, Level: 13
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

folkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryony View Post
Charles got really frustrated half way though[...]
Due to my arm hurting so much from the...well...check out my log for the story I guess.
folkprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2010, 09:11 PM   #32
bryony
New Brawn
Points: 102, Level: 2 Points: 102, Level: 2 Points: 102, Level: 2
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

bryony is off to a bad start
Default Catch up logs (sort of) and today

Last Fri: Worked out some squat weight. Did 3 sets of 4x89 for deadlifts, then did some shoulder presses (3 sets 4x25 I think) and shrugs - but I didn't write any of it down.

Sat: Chest, Back, Biceps, Triceps, Abs. Didn't write any of it down - but had a great workout.

Today:

ATG Squats:

Charles wants me to go deeper and lower on these. I can't seem to stay upright with a bar on my shoulders, my heels are coming off the ground and I can't get back up. So these were pretty poor ATG squats. But I'll keep working 'em. Any thoughts?

3x45
3x45
3x45

Deadlifts

3x109
3x109
3x109

DB calf raises

3x50
3x50
3x50 (a few weeks ago I said 40 was about my grip limit...way to increase, huh?)

Hanging weighted knee raises

5x20
5x20
5x20 (these are hard. I had to re-adjust the weight between the 3rd and 4th lifts. Any ideas how to keep 20lbs firm between my toes? )

Seated calf raises

15x35
12x35

And hottub! Best part of the workout.
bryony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:15 PM   #33
kman025
1st MOM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

kman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machine

try widening your stance on the squats, or if you want to keep a close stance put 2.5 or 5 lb plates under your heels.
User owns 1x Pumping Iron (25th Anniversary Special Edition)
Old 03-16-2010, 09:19 PM   #34
folkprophet
Brawn

folkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality posts

Quote:
Charles wants me to go deeper and lower on these.
Hence the "ATG" part.

Quote:
And hottub! Best part of the workout.
Yeah baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman025 View Post
try widening your stance on the squats, or if you want to keep a close stance put 2.5 or 5 lb plates under your heels.
The plate under the heel thing seems to provoke leaning forward too much. Speaking of leaning forward, how far is too much anyhow?
Old 03-16-2010, 09:25 PM   #35
kman025
1st MOM
Max Brawn

kman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkprophet View Post
The plate under the heel thing seems to provoke leaning forward too much. Speaking of leaning forward, how far is too much anyhow?
have you tried it? i kind of disagree with that. maybe you werent used to it or something or maybe too much of your feet were on the plate.

and if so, widen the stance.

im not sure if by ATG, you actually mean calves to ankles or ass to grass or if you just meant lower. there is no real reason to go calves to ass if you cant.

watch some squat videos on youtube to see how far people lean forward. in my opinion its pretty hard to **** this up at lower weights. when you get into bigger weights sometimes you get out of control for whatever reason and lean forward by mistake. post videos, i strongly guess your fine.

your making this too complicated man. just lift weights. everything will fall in place overtime as you learn what works and what doesnt.

i havent been totally squatting below parrallel lately, but i can still get 325 below fairly easy.... just try to get close as possible

Last edited by kman025; 03-16-2010 at 09:28 PM.
kman025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:30 PM   #36
folkprophet
Brawn

Quote:
have you tried it?

and if so, widen the stance.
We have tried it. I like the widening stance idea better. But Bry may like the plates under the heel better.

Quote:
im not sure if by ATG, you actually mean calves to ankles or ass to grass or if you just meant lower. there is no real reason to go calves to ass if you cant.

watch some squat videos on youtube to see how far people lean forward. in my opinion its pretty hard to **** this up at lower weights. when you get into bigger weights sometimes you get out of control for whatever reason and lean forward by mistake. post videos, i strongly guess your fine.
Why call it ATG if it ain't ALL THE FRICKIN' WAY TO THE FRICKIN' GROUND? Posting video is good. We'll do that one of these days. As far as "bigger weights" goes...for my wife she was failing at the end of these sets...literally couldn't push it up...so heavy is relative I guess.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:41 PM   #37
CallmeKing
Max Brawn
Points: 3,800, Level: 38 Points: 3,800, Level: 38 Points: 3,800, Level: 38
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

CallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkprophet View Post
We have tried it. I like the widening stance idea better. But Bry may like the plates under the heel better.

Why call it ATG if it ain't ALL THE FRICKIN' WAY TO THE FRICKIN' GROUND? Posting video is good. We'll do that one of these days. As far as "bigger weights" goes...for my wife she was failing at the end of these sets...literally couldn't push it up...so heavy is relative I guess.

Thanks for the advice.
something is definately wrong with her stance if you look like you're doing a goodmorning squat combo you're leaning too much. High bar or low bar? I think a lot of people that start squatting think it like bending down to get something thus causing them to lean forward.
CallmeKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:45 PM   #38
kman025
1st MOM
Max Brawn

My point is, wobbleing(sp) around with 45 will do less than 90 parrallel or slightly above. IMO, ATG squatting isn't necesary. As mentioned above, as my slightly above parrallel squat rises, so does my ATG squat.

If ATG feels weird don't worry about it. Now for the record, I'm not advocating half squats or quarter squats (however, even these have their place).

Just don't stress the minor details so much.

Good luck, which I could explain what I'm getting at better, but I'm typing from my iPod and it's a pain to use.... Also this explains typos and grammar problems.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:50 AM   #39
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Charles wants me to go deeper and lower on these. I can't seem to stay upright with a bar on my shoulders, my heels are coming off the ground and I can't get back up. So these were pretty poor ATG squats. But I'll keep working 'em. Any thoughts?
My wife has this same issue with squats. No matter what I do, I can't physically get her to sink below a half squat.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:56 AM   #40
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

BTW, have you ever tried box squats? This might help your form, and assist you in going deeper.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote