Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 02-27-2010, 04:24 PM   #21
folkprophet
Brawn
Points: 657, Level: 13 Points: 657, Level: 13 Points: 657, Level: 13
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

folkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
How about a belated "welcome"?

One thing I read recently that may be way off from helping you but I'll throw it out there anyways. If the Scivation Cut diet puts you in a state of ketosis, then you must also avoid artificial sweeteners. A study has shown that it can pull your body out of that state.

Like I said, I may be way off on the answer for you, but since I recently read that...it keeps poking me in my brain. I'm sure you'll get it worked out though.
Not likely ketosis with the refeeds. But might be worth consideration.

Thanks.
folkprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2010, 07:19 PM   #22
RickB
Max Brawn
Points: 2,802, Level: 32 Points: 2,802, Level: 32 Points: 2,802, Level: 32
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

RickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good start

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkprophet View Post
Not likely ketosis with the refeeds. But might be worth consideration.

Thanks.
Ah yes....see when I get things poking me in the brain like this I miss things Next time someone says their bench press is stuck....I'll say drop the artificial sugars!

Last week after watching bobsledding, the lady at the drive thru said "can I help you?". I answered "....uh....yeah.....I want a bobseld...hold the onions...supersized."

RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:27 PM   #23
folkprophet
Brawn

folkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality posts

Well...we took the day off. Decided it was best to rest and recouperate and we'll hit legs on Mon with some basic and simple strength training.

Then on tues I'm gonna bench a horse.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:44 AM   #24
sneezingstardust
Max Brawn
Points: 4,948, Level: 44 Points: 4,948, Level: 44 Points: 4,948, Level: 44
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

sneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Well...we took the day off. Decided it was best to rest and recouperate and we'll hit legs on Mon with some basic and simple strength training.

Then on tues I'm gonna bench a horse.
Sounds good. Have a great Sunday!
sneezingstardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:24 AM   #25
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Well, feeling frustrated.

We measure/weigh on Sat morning first thing after getting up and emptying the bladder et al...

4 weeks ago my belly measured 32" and I weighed 168.
This morning my belly measured 32" and I weighed 168.

Grrr.

Still...I'm supposed to be cutting. CUTTING!!!
Are you taking skinfold caliper readings?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:29 AM   #26
folkprophet
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Are you taking skinfold caliper readings?
No. Point taken. I could be going down in BF without seeing the other results.

Still...a bit depressing. But we've dropped the cals just a bit, and feeling confident and hopeful.

I should get a caliper though.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:52 AM   #27
folkprophet
Brawn

Default Diet alterations

Okay...so...I'm changing our diet ever so slightly.

Basically, I'm not buying the carb refeed as it sits in the Scivation Cut Diet. Otherwise, I quite like the diet. So...we will continue to eat the regular meals per the Cut diet. Brocolli, lean protein (chicken/eggs/protien shakes/etc...), healthy fat (almonds or natural peanut butter) plus two grapefruits a day.

For the carb refeed...well, first here's what the cut diet demands:

Meal must be eaten in this order.
1.5 cup steamed green beans or 12 oz asparagus = 15g carbohydrates
cup oatmeal (measured dry then add water and microwave) = 30g
carbohydrates
6.5 oz PEELED ruby red grapefruit or 99g blueberries = 15g carbohydrates
4-6 packets splenda for sweetening
12 almonds = 10g fat
6 oz yam or sweet potato = 45g carbohydrates
4 tsp peanut butter or almond butter = 10g fat
4-6 packets splenda for sweetening
105g Carbohydrates = 420 Kcals, 20g Fat = 180 Kcals

note: this is the 1500 cal plan's refeed (my wife's). Mine has slightly higher amounts on many of the above (like 18 almonds instead of 12), etc...

My take is that this is too anal and insignificant in the grand scheme of things. Meaning...only oatmeal and sweet potatoes? I'm vetoing it in favor of controlled healthy carbs of other natures (a.k.a. whole wheat bread, regular potatotes, brown rice, etc...)

My only question...for any of you who know...is the fat. I've read/heard a few times to NOT do fat with the carb refeed. Thoughts?

The primary consideration will be calories. The carb refeed will need to hit the calorie mark we're shooting for. So it's not just eat high carbs for a meal until you're full (a strategy some programs advocate) or eat for an hour or anything like that. We will still figure calories and weigh food to verify we're not overdoing it. Of course, if we aren't doing fat with it...it means more carbs (which is a good thing in my opinion.)

Thoughts?
Old 03-01-2010, 12:30 PM   #28
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
No. Point taken. I could be going down in BF without seeing the other results.

Still...a bit depressing. But we've dropped the cals just a bit, and feeling confident and hopeful.

I should get a caliper though.
I'm paranoid (obsessive) about LBM, so my caliper is my crutch.

Quote:
My only question...for any of you who know...is the fat. I've read/heard a few times to NOT do fat with the carb refeed. Thoughts?
I really recommend checking out this book:

Amazon.com: Better Than Steroids (9781425103392): Dr. Warren Willey: Books Amazon.com: Better Than Steroids (9781425103392): Dr. Warren Willey: Books

It contains a multitude of re-feeding/cutting approaches (calorie cycling, keto, etc.), and I believe most of them contain a normal fat intake.

Sorry to derail your thread without answering the question, but I love this book and think it offers a multitude of approaches.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:40 PM   #29
folkprophet
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I'm paranoid (obsessive) about LBM, so my caliper is my crutch.

I really recommend checking out this book:

Amazon.com: Better Than Steroids (9781425103392): Dr. Warren Willey: Books

It contains a multitude of re-feeding/cutting approaches (calorie cycling, keto, etc.), and I believe most of them contain a normal fat intake.

Sorry to derail your thread without answering the question, but I love this book and think it offers a multitude of approaches.
Derail away. We're here to discuss, learn, get support, etc... This covers all that. I appreciate it.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:45 PM   #30
folkprophet
Brawn

Default Today = Cardio day

Realized that the wife and I couldn't hit the gym together today. Normally...no biggie...but since we're kinda gonna be re-learning legs I really want to do that together. So, the split will run T,W,Th,F this week (or swap one of those for next Sat). Either way...that's the advantage of a 4 day split. Gives you the ability to be flexible.

So...we decided to make it a cardio day...essentially hitting 2 bouts of Cardio...one half hour in the morning (done) and one half hour in the afternoon/evening (coming very soon).

The only part of it that's bugging me is that it makes 3 days in a row without lifting. On the other hand...I feel SO regenerated and energized/enthusiastic compared to Fri/Sat. So I'm not too worried about it.