Notices

Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 12-30-2009, 09:26 PM   #711
kman025
1st MOM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

kman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwys61 View Post
Front squats are great, I just hate them

they really help your depth
i like them. it kills my quads and it would be easy to dump if necessy. also i can go really deep.

-----------------------------

sorry to change the subject from box squats
User owns 1x Pumping Iron (25th Anniversary Special Edition)
Old 12-30-2009, 09:26 PM   #712
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

I have been waiting for your opinion on this subject. I have been searching the internet for a bit and have not found much for raw lifters. I feel that raw lifting is making a comeback, because I found quite a few more contests then previously for the unequipped lifter. Hopefully this will prompt some more discussion about raw lifting.

Bwys, do you lift raw or equipped??
Old 12-31-2009, 09:20 AM   #713
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
LOTS of literature is meant for the equipped lifter.
Very good point. Equipped and geared.

I agree with the importance of front squats. Even with a modest weight, they not only help my squat but also my deadlift. When I'm doing both front squats and good mornings, my deadlift improves.

I think box squats are also vital for improving deadlift, and deficit deadlifts are just flat out a good idea - unless you have a gut like me right now.

I used to think that box squatting could be 100% of a weekly squat workout, but I am changing my opinion on this. It only takes a few free squat singles, lowering slowly, to help you squat away your box squat form. I see them now more as synergists. I don't think you need to do much free squat work, necessarily, but a few singles/doubles at 80-85% sure don't hurt.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 09:39 AM   #714
bwys61
Austin Simply Fit #1
Max Brawn
Points: 9,189, Level: 64 Points: 9,189, Level: 64 Points: 9,189, Level: 64
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 15+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Caffeine
bwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machine

In competition, I lift with gear. I understand the benefits and advantages of it. I am not opposed to lifting raw, there are just some issues that worry me, mainly the knees in the squat.

Since my meet in Nov, I have done all of my training completely raw. I will probably start using a squat suit(with straps down) closer to my next meet(tentatively Feb 6).

training with gear will help increase your overall load and intensity of your workout, thus producing gains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood View Post
I have been waiting for your opinion on this subject. I have been searching the internet for a bit and have not found much for raw lifters. I feel that raw lifting is making a comeback, because I found quite a few more contests then previously for the unequipped lifter. Hopefully this will prompt some more discussion about raw lifting.

Bwys, do you lift raw or equipped??
bwys61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 06:38 PM   #715
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn

jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

Quote:
In competition, I lift with gear. I understand the benefits and advantages of it. I am not opposed to lifting raw, there are just some issues that worry me, mainly the knees in the squat.

Since my meet in Nov, I have done all of my training completely raw. I will probably start using a squat suit(with straps down) closer to my next meet(tentatively Feb 6).

training with gear will help increase your overall load and intensity of your workout, thus producing gains.
I see your point here, and the use of gear will protect certain areas especially the knees. This also worries me, but right now I am not prepared to put up the money for a squat suit or bench shirt. I am not opposed to equipped lifting at all I just do not have any experience with the gear and I feel as though I would need some serious teaching. I have read about gear and understand it, but you don't know anything about it until you actually try it.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:27 AM   #716
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

My take on geared lifting is that once you start, it can get expensive, even if you're just involved with one or two competitions a year.

I bought a belt, non-supportive singlet, and wraps - and paid over $120 (ish)? My buddy has all the equipment...different wrap lengths for different feds, multiple bench suits, multiple belts, on and on. Not cheap, for sure.

I have no problem training with belt and knee wraps. But if you're going to do Raw, I would start squatting without knee wraps on some reps 4 weeks out. 100% Raw is looking at adding knee and wrist wraps, but I don't know what's going on with that issue:

100% RAW Forum - Wrist Wraps and Knee Sleeves

Personally, I worry about gear lifting simply because you're using more weight then normal. It definitely requires tweaks to your training approach.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:17 PM   #717
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn

I see what you are saying BTB, equipped lifting is a huge expense. One that I am not ready to get into.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:20 PM   #718
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn

Monday Jan 4th
DE Bench Day

Speed bench plus short average band (180 pounds of tension at the top, WOW)
95x4x3
115x6x3

Dumbell Bench alternating single arm and double arm
50'sx6x4 each single arm
50'xx 10x4 double arm
These were done as a continuous set, example, 6 reps each arm and then right into the normal dumbell bench for ten reps that is one set

Lateral raise
25sx3x10

Band tricep pushdowns
3x20

Barbell row
165x3x20

High rep day today everything felt good, but the tension on the speed bench was insane!!
Old 01-04-2010, 08:26 PM   #719
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood View Post

High rep day today everything felt good, but the tension on the speed bench was insane!!
One of these years I'll have to get me some bands.

Great workout Jwood. Those barbell rows are insane. That will slap some beef on your back.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:29 PM   #720
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
One of these years I'll have to get me some bands.

Great workout Jwood. Those barbell rows are insane. That will slap some beef on your back.
Bands are awesome and the new short bands are fairly inexpensive and versatile. I like them and I think bands have improved my lifts a ton.

Thanks, I feel like when I do westside I kinda ignore back and it is one of my favorite muscle groups to work, so I was thinking of doing more high rep work on back, and I also think with the lighter weights I use better form instead of going heavy for 6 ugly reps. I like to pump out the back muscles.