Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslep View Post
gotta show some love to my fellow minniesooootan. tear it up man!!
Thanks, jslep. I shall tear it up indeed. Forgive me if we've discussed this before, but whereabouts do you live? The Lakeville area, right? I'm down by Mankato.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetiredkris View Post
Good going V.
Wendlers should treat you well, so tear it up.
I hope so. The one thing I missed while doing the bb'ing routine is the lack of quantifiable goals. Its one thing to say, "I want to add some size to my arms," when the fact of the matter is that my arms will NEVER be big enough - not even with another 4" on them. But it is another matter to say, "I want to squat 315 for reps by such and such a date." I can live like that. I'll tear up the big lifts, but try to keep a bb'ing component to the assistance work. Without sacrifiing progress on the big lifts of course.

Thursday, 2/11/10

I started the routine on a Thursday for a reason. I didn't want to wait until Monday. Monday is for losers. I started today.

Squats
Warmup (45x5) (135x5)
165x5
190x5
215x10 - I don't know why I quit. I had a couple more left in me. I think I wanted to stop before this turned into a set of "breathing squats."

Leg Press
(450x10/4/4/2) - about 10 seconds on the rest/pause. I overestimated my weight here. I had intentions of doing a widowmaker set of 20. I don't know if I should make that my goal, or be content with the rest/pause format.

SLDL (135x15 135x10) - After the first set, I could sense the bile rising and the room spinning. I manned it up though. No pukage tonight. Not yet anyway.

Machine Crunches (60x20x3)

Lawdy, I love squatting. It was fun to be able to squat again - for real, not on a Smith, and to have a purpose too. Squats are so fun. I love to squat. No one squats, and if they do, they don't come close to parallel. Me? I go low. I love going low. Going low makes you big. People used to compliment me on that all the time. How nobody squats like I do. I'm kind of proud of that. Lawdy, I love squatting.

This workout lasted 31 minutes. I've arbitrarily put a 40 minute capper on the workouts. I think though that there was enough workload tonight that I won't be adding other leg work. I might come up with a rotation though. Like next time do extentions and curls. We'll see.

Did I mention that I love to squat?

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2010, 08:09 AM   #12
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big valsalva View Post

I started the routine on a Thursday for a reason. I didn't want to wait until Monday. Monday is for losers. I started today.

Did I mention that I love to squat?
Monday is indeed for losers, and typically bench day. Any man that squats close to the weekend, knowing they may not be able to walk correctly on their days off, is a man that will succeed in reaching his goals.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:26 PM   #13
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

You don't know SQUAT until you SQUAT. SQUAT SQUAT SQUAT! Sorry did somebody say Squat!

Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:30 PM   #14
onetiredkris
Max Brawn
Points: 2,770, Level: 32 Points: 2,770, Level: 32 Points: 2,770, Level: 32
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

onetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributor

nice weight moving V!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodybygamma View Post
You don't know SQUAT until you SQUAT. SQUAT SQUAT SQUAT! Sorry did somebody say Squat!

YouTube - The Squat - Poem by Dale Clark
effing hilarious! I had to play it back twice because i was typing out the entire movie

-OTK's LOG-
We lift weights and manipulate our diets so that we'll look good naked. Sure, it's healthy too, and we'll probably live a longer and more productive life than the average guy, but mostly it's about the naked thing.

onetiredkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:47 PM   #15
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Quote:
nice weight moving V!
Thanks, OTK.

Quote:
effing hilarious! I had to play it back twice because i was typing out the entire movie
Ain't it the truth? I wish I could wear a t-shirt big enough to be able to fit that whole poem on the back. Thanks for putting that up, BBG.

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
Old 02-13-2010, 10:40 PM   #16
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

I did something really geeky and borderline OCB today. I grabbed my notebook and calculator and planned out my next 15 workouts. I need to get a life outside of weightlifting. It's really bad. My brother called tonight and said he had two tickets for tomorrow's Minnesota Wild vs. (The Hated) Vancouver Canucks game. These are $75 seats. He can't use them. "No thanks," I said. "I'm lifting."

I'm benching tomorrow. Lock the doors and hide the children.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:51 PM   #17
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big valsalva View Post
I did something really geeky and borderline OCB today. I grabbed my notebook and calculator and planned out my next 15 workouts. I need to get a life outside of weightlifting. It's really bad. My brother called tonight and said he had two tickets for tomorrow's Minnesota Wild vs. (The Hated) Vancouver Canucks game. These are $75 seats. He can't use them. "No thanks," I said. "I'm lifting."

I'm benching tomorrow. Lock the doors and hide the children.
Sometimes you need to go OCD to grease the wheels.

I'm a hockey fan, but I prefer it from home

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:31 PM   #18
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

My triceps are gonna hate me tomorrow, and the next day. Also my shoulders and pecs.

Sunday, 2/14/10
Duration: 35 minutes

Bench
Warmup (45x5x2) (95x5x1)
105x5
125x5
140x12 - Yes, 12. I could've done a couple more, but I had no spotter. Regardless it is a rep record at any weight for me. I rested a good fat minute between sets, maybe more. As things get heavier, I realize the need for more rest. I tried to explode every rep.

Dips BW (3 sets to failure)
10/3/3 - I took 30 second rests between sets. I probably could have used more.

DB Flat Bench (40x8x2 40x5x1) - My intention is 3 sets of 8-12. I rested about a minute between sets.

Smith CGBP (135x8 135x5 135x2)

BP Speed work - 8 set of triples with empty bar. No need to go much heavier right now, with this work being at the end of the workout. I used various hand spacings.

***Musings***
I'm still contemplating my assistance work. If anyone has any thoughts, considerations, suggestions, or corrections, please chime in. Right now, I'm thinking of doing the assistance work Bulldozer style. I want to be careful of the time though. I have set a limit of 40 minutes for the workout. That may not be realistic for every workout (especially as the weights get heavier and resting becomes more important).

I weighed in at 222 this morning (after my 6:15 BM). The heaviest I've ever been. I think the ladder going to my attic is rated at 225 or 250. I hope there's nothing up there I need.

My next workout is Deadlifts. I've added Pulldowns, T-Bar Rows and Good Mornings. My Overhead Press workout has Reverse Grip BP, Arnolds, and three curls.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:47 PM   #19
kman025
1st MOM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

kman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machine

nice workout Big Val. im interested to see how you like this program.

somewhere very far off in my future, i'll probablt do it
User owns 1x Pumping Iron (25th Anniversary Special Edition)
Old 02-14-2010, 10:51 PM   #20
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Thanks, kman. It's too soon to tell how I'll like it. I am determined to give it a full three cycles (15-18 weeks) before I pass judgement. I think the key for me will be striking the right balance with the assistance work. I want enough work to actually do some good, but not too much that it detracts from the main lifts. Important too is being able to enter the gym focused and determined like a powerlifter, while still being able to primp and preen the details like a BB'er. We'll see how it goes. Thanks for checking in.