Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 03-03-2016, 09:57 AM   #1
stevesul
Brawn

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
stevesul is a dedicated contributorstevesul is a dedicated contributorstevesul is a dedicated contributorstevesul is a dedicated contributorstevesul is a dedicated contributorstevesul is a dedicated contributorstevesul is a dedicated contributorstevesul is a dedicated contributorstevesul is a dedicated contributorstevesul is a dedicated contributorstevesul is a dedicated contributor
Default Steve's Training Log

I have been lifting off and on for 20+ years but have been steady for the last 10 years. The last 5-6 years, powerlifting focused.

I have done two meet...both RPS (August 2014 and April 2015). I'm 45 and competed as a master @ 198lbs...my best lifts in competition at 475 squat, 280 bench, 615 deadlift. Gym they are 500,2x305lbs, 610. My totals for the meets were 1350 in 2014 and 1340 in 2015 (I missed my last pull of 620).

I had a full thickness tear of my supraspinatus in my left shoulder during both meets. I tried to work around it for a year but finally bit the bullet and had rotator cuff surgery in September. I'm just getting back into lifting after PT/rehab in the gym. I just started squatting again three weeks ago and deadlifting last week. Also started barbell benching again and taking that slow.

I logged at another site for the last 4 years but their membership is way down and not as much activity as here.

I did 531 for many years. To a lesser extent, some other programs. ` Right now I am just going in the gym and getting back into the groove. I'll figure out programming once I don't feel weak as shit.

I'm not sure when my next meet will be. RPS is no longer doing them locally so I'll have to drive 90 minutes to them. WNPF does meets in my city so I might do a WNPF meet in the summer or fall if my shoulder feels good.

I'll include my workouts from this week. Right now since I am building back up w/ the big 3...I am incorporating more machines in my workout.

Monday 2/29/2016
Shoulder PT with bands

Leg extension
10x125, 10x145lbs
3x10x165lbs

Leg curl
10x160,10x180
3x10x200lbs Third set stopped at 5 reps as I felt a tweak in my right hamstring.

I decided to stop doing legs and joined my buddy Joe who was doing a back workout.

T-bar row
5x10x135lbs

Single arm t-bar
4x10x90lbs left shoulder felt fine

BW back extensions in between the t-bar rows

Don't recall the weights here but did Plate loaded rows, Cable row, Hoist machine mid row

biceps curls
4x10x25+25lbs

Straight barbell Curl

Db Shrugs

================
Wednesday 3/2/2016

Squats
3x10x45,5x135,5x225,5x275lbs
5x315lbs
Belt on
3x5x335lbs - left knee soreness on second set. My stance might have been a bit wide so I narrowed it a bit for the last set. I felt the knee less but decided to call it a day with squats.

I added two reps to the set from last week so that's progress.

First set of 335. Left ankle is stiff...I have issues with that.
I can't post URLs yet but it is here if you take out the spaces

ht tps: //www .youtube.com /watch?v=VEO5QB6YGZQ

Leg extension
3x10x165lbs

Seated Calves
4x10x100lbs

=================
Thursday 3/3/2016

Shoulder PT with bands

Light shoulder workout
lateral raises
w presses
db ohp press

cardio

Last edited by stevesul; 03-03-2016 at 10:01 AM.
stevesul is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2016, 08:57 PM   #2
yangwenbin
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Complete Chaos!
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: milk
yangwenbin is one with Crom!yangwenbin is one with Crom!yangwenbin is one with Crom!yangwenbin is one with Crom!yangwenbin is one with Crom!yangwenbin is one with Crom!yangwenbin is one with Crom!yangwenbin is one with Crom!yangwenbin is one with Crom!yangwenbin is one with Crom!yangwenbin is one with Crom!

Nice training, Steve, welcome to MAB!

Training log
yangwenbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:52 PM   #3
miked96
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 25
Fav Exercise: Squat
miked96 is one with Crom!miked96 is one with Crom!miked96 is one with Crom!miked96 is one with Crom!miked96 is one with Crom!miked96 is one with Crom!miked96 is one with Crom!miked96 is one with Crom!miked96 is one with Crom!miked96 is one with Crom!miked96 is one with Crom!

What's up Steve.
miked96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 12:23 PM   #4
stevesul
Brawn

stevesul is a dedicated contributorstevesul is a dedicated contributorstevesul is a dedicated contributorstevesul is a dedicated contributorstevesul is a dedicated contributorstevesul is a dedicated contributorstevesul is a dedicated contributorstevesul is a dedicated contributorstevesul is a dedicated contributorstevesul is a dedicated contributorstevesul is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yangwenbin View Post
Nice training, Steve, welcome to MAB!
Thanks!
Old 03-05-2016, 12:24 PM   #5
stevesul
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked96 View Post
What's up Steve.
Hey Mike...good to see a familiar face here.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:37 PM   #6
stevesul
Brawn

3/5/2016

I just resumed deadlifting two weeks ago from a six month layoff. Even before my surgery, I had not deadlifted regularly after my April 2015 meet. Last week I did 5x325. I was itching to pull heavier after seeing Mike pull 600 in his garage.

Deads
5x155,5x225,5x315lbs

5 365 singles with 10-15 sec rest between

405 30 seconds rest 455. Second rep slow

2x2x455lbs

On first rep of second set- I failed below the knee and took 30 seconds to recover to do the set.

3x5x315lbs

Here is the first set of 455 (still can't post URLs)

https: // www .youtube .com/watch?v=YZywnbmvVZw

Squats
10x135, 5x225, 2x315lbs. I was planning on doing more but my back was fatigued so I stopped. My back is not conditioned to deadlifting again.

Notes:

About as good as expected with a bunch of friends over until late last night drinking a bit.

My deads current state is about 80% strength and 20% mental. I lost a lot of strength but I also need to get more aggressive approaching the bar. Those second reps of 455 were knee shakers.

My grip sucks. I need to do heavy Krocs and holds on the last reps.

I just need to put the work in like I have in the past. I need to forget what I pulled before and work in the 70-85% range. That's probably 335-405 for me right now.

Last edited by stevesul; 03-05-2016 at 12:41 PM.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:57 AM   #7
yangwenbin
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Complete Chaos!
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: milk
yangwenbin is one with Crom!yangwenbin is one with Crom!yangwenbin is one with Crom!yangwenbin is one with Crom!yangwenbin is one with Crom!yangwenbin is one with Crom!yangwenbin is one with Crom!yangwenbin is one with Crom!yangwenbin is one with Crom!yangwenbin is one with Crom!yangwenbin is one with Crom!

Nice reps pause work on deads!

Training log
yangwenbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 01:32 PM   #8
LittleRhino
Uber Brawn

LittleRhino is a lifting machineLittleRhino is a lifting machineLittleRhino is a lifting machineLittleRhino is a lifting machineLittleRhino is a lifting machineLittleRhino is a lifting machineLittleRhino is a lifting machineLittleRhino is a lifting machineLittleRhino is a lifting machineLittleRhino is a lifting machineLittleRhino is a lifting machine

How did you like lifting in RPS? Im looking at doing my first meet in June in this fed.
LittleRhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:08 AM   #9
stevesul
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by yangwenbin View Post
Nice reps pause work on deads!
Thanks! I'm sorta just feeling things out now with the deads.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:20 AM   #10
stevesul
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRhino View Post
How did you like lifting in RPS? Im looking at doing my first meet in June in this fed.
I've only done the two RPS meets so it's hard to compare competing in another Fed. I did attend a WNPF meet that my friend competed in.

The environment at RPS was a lot better. It was more energetic with the music playing. For squats, they use a monolift and a 65lb bar. For deads, they use an okie deadlit bar. That was probably the biggest advantage I got since I train with a normal bar. For both meets, my deadlift training going in wasn't that great. With that whippier okie bar, I was able to deadlift well and PR the first meet.

The only negative I can say is the fed is getting more popular so the meets are running longer. I was hoping the last meet I did they would have the 198's with the lighter weight classes in the morning. Instead, I was in the afternoon with the big guys. Since RPS has raw and equipped, the squatting and benching for the equipped takes a long time. Extra spotters, safety, etc. I was doing my last deadlift attempt around 9pm.

I don't know of anyone who did an RPS meet and did not enjoy it. Go for it!