Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 09-13-2015, 04:21 PM   #1
Runner

Runner is off to a bad start
Default A Runner's Training

Thanks for checking out my training log.

I've already explained my goals etc in my introductions thread so I'll copy it here.

"Hello gents. I'm an 18 year old lad from England. I have been running for a little while now and while I love running I don't like how thin it is making me. I don't have extreme goals when it comes to lifting weights, I just want to fill out my upper body a bit so I can feel a bit stronger and look a bit more robust. I realize it's a sin within your community to not train legs so I'll throw in some lower body stuff when I can, but since I'm already doing hill sprints and prowler pushes my lower body doesn't have much more room to recover. I'm about to start a training log to show my workouts, not that I'll be lifting any impressive weights, but I'd like to get feedback if I'm doing something wrong. Cheers."

First workout in the gym today.

Bench Press
40kg x 10 reps x 3 sets
Cable Rows
45kg x 10 reps x 3 sets
Dumbbell OHP
8kg's x 10 reps x 3 sets
Lat Pulldowns
40kg x 10 reps x 3 sets

I messed around with some cable curls, tricep extensions & face pulls at the end but I can't remember exactly what weight/reps/sets I did.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2015, 07:02 PM   #2
yangwenbin
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Complete Chaos!
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: milk
yangwenbin is one with Crom!yangwenbin is one with Crom!yangwenbin is one with Crom!yangwenbin is one with Crom!yangwenbin is one with Crom!yangwenbin is one with Crom!yangwenbin is one with Crom!yangwenbin is one with Crom!yangwenbin is one with Crom!yangwenbin is one with Crom!yangwenbin is one with Crom!

Welcome Runner!

Training log
yangwenbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:18 PM   #3
Sandbox
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 32
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Dead Cow
Sandbox is an elite memberSandbox is an elite memberSandbox is an elite memberSandbox is an elite memberSandbox is an elite memberSandbox is an elite memberSandbox is an elite memberSandbox is an elite memberSandbox is an elite memberSandbox is an elite memberSandbox is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Thanks for checking out my training log.

First workout in the gym today.

Bench Press
40kg x 10 reps x 3 sets
Cable Rows
45kg x 10 reps x 3 sets
Dumbbell OHP
8kg's x 10 reps x 3 sets
Lat Pulldowns
40kg x 10 reps x 3 sets

I messed around with some cable curls, tricep extensions & face pulls at the end but I can't remember exactly what weight/reps/sets I did.
Runner -

I'm assuming your goal is to add some mass without affecting your running.
Believe it or not...if you are a dedicated runner and want to add mass you are already doing too much gym work.

IMHO you should:

Deadlift
Row
Bench Press
OHP

3 sets x 5-6 reps of everything after warmups. Twice a week (one heavy - one light). If you are really kicking ass on running your light day can be really light. Like one set of 8 reps with about 70% of what you use on heavy day.
Even doing this you'll stay skinny if you don't add some clean calories with whole foods.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:22 PM   #4
Runner

Runner is off to a bad start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post
Runner -

I'm assuming your goal is to add some mass without affecting your running.
Believe it or not...if you are a dedicated runner and want to add mass you are already doing too much gym work.

IMHO you should:

Deadlift
Row
Bench Press
OHP

3 sets x 5-6 reps of everything after warmups. Twice a week (one heavy - one light). If you are really kicking ass on running your light day can be really light. Like one set of 8 reps with about 70% of what you use on heavy day.
Even doing this you'll stay skinny if you don't add some clean calories with whole foods.
Thanks Sandbox.

I'll definitely be learning to deadlift once my lower back heals up (I pulled something when sprinting for a bus without a warm up).

I'm surprised you say I'm doing too much, my friends who also run with me do double what I do in the gym and have gotten good results over the last year or so. Do you say this because of personal preference or is there a reason why lower volume is better?

I'm trying to up my food intake, it's hard on the days I'm at college for but the other 4 days a week that I'm not at college I can shovel in the food.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 05:14 PM   #5
Sandbox
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 32
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Dead Cow
Sandbox is an elite memberSandbox is an elite memberSandbox is an elite memberSandbox is an elite memberSandbox is an elite memberSandbox is an elite memberSandbox is an elite memberSandbox is an elite memberSandbox is an elite memberSandbox is an elite memberSandbox is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
I'm surprised you say I'm doing too much, my friends who also run with me do double what I do in the gym and have gotten good results over the last year or so. Do you say this because of personal preference or is there a reason why lower volume is better?

I'm trying to up my food intake, it's hard on the days I'm at college for but the other 4 days a week that I'm not at college I can shovel in the food.
Good questions Runner.

Everyone's metabolism is different. There are a ton of variables as well. You friends have been training over a year and may have adapted and changed.

Start with basic, compound movements. Focus on getting strong and you'll put on the mass. After you have your form down and your body starts adapting you can add if you want.

It is personal preference as well.