Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 08-01-2015, 12:09 PM   #1
Soldier
Max Brawn

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member
Default Candito's 6 week program log

I'm going to do a separate log for this program as a reference for anyone who might be interested in it. I like Candito. Seems like a good, knowledgeable dude with good intentions, and I like the look of this program, so I'm going to give it a run. It's also free, including a spreadsheet, with the option to donate some money if you use the program and enjoy it.

Anyways, I'm going to give it a run and we'll just see where it goes. For reference, I just came off a break from powerlifting. I did some Olympic lifting for a while, along with some general bodybuilding stuff. I'm going to be doing a meet in October (and possibly taking a small team as well), so this is the time to focus on getting my numbers right before I actually put them up against other people. I'm currently weighing in at 250, where I plan to stay, then I'll cut and compete at 242. I'll be lifting raw with sleeves, although I'll be training in light wraps to help with some knee issues I've been having.

I don't have good current maxes, so I just sort of guessed at my maxes for the program.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2015, 12:13 PM   #2
Soldier
Max Brawn

Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Day 1, squat. I did this yesterday. You can read more about it in my other log.

Squat-
4 sets of 6 with 365

Deadlift-
2 sets of 6 with 405

The plan said to use 420 for the pulls, but I haven't pulled any serious weight for a while so I went with 405. I also did TnG, and used straps along with a Velcro belt for a little support.
Old 08-01-2015, 12:26 PM   #3
Soldier
Max Brawn

Day 2, bench. I was a little worried about today. I haven't benched anything over 185 in a couple months, and when I benched last I had some pretty serious pain in my left shoulder (there a history of injury in that joint).

Bench (with pause. I'll only be benching with a pause for now to help build confidence with the competition movement.)-
45x a bunch
135x10
165x10
195x10
225x8
235x6

I changed the weights just a little here and there for convenience sake. These felt OK. I feel like the pause is easier on my shoulders in some ways, but harder on them in others. Time will tell if I'm able to keep up as things get heavier. I did have some nagging pain through the last couple sets, but nothing too bad. More annoying than anything.

Inverted rows from rings-
BWx12
BWx12
BWx10
BWx8

OHP (supersetted with rows)-
45x10
75x10
95x10
95x10
95x10
95x10

Band-assisted pullups-
4 sets to failure (6-8 reps)

I haven't done band assisted pullups in a while, but without a pulldown machine it's the best I can do. They're really awkward. I'll experiment some and try to find something that actually gives me a good pump in my lats.

This is why I like doing programs written by others. My bench days tend to be lots of bench with a couple sets of pump work thrown in at the end for assistance. This session had a little benching followed by a ton of volume on shoulders and back, and because of that my shoulder doesn't hurt any more like it did after the benching. Candito is not known for his bench strength, so I'm not surprised that there isn't a ton of bench volume. I'm ok with that for now, as long as it keeps me more or less pain-free.

Rest tomorrow, then I'll do the exact same bench session again.
Old 08-01-2015, 12:33 PM   #4
Creechur
Uber Brawn

Training Exp: 3 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Sweat
Creechur is a consistent contributorCreechur is a consistent contributorCreechur is a consistent contributorCreechur is a consistent contributorCreechur is a consistent contributorCreechur is a consistent contributorCreechur is a consistent contributorCreechur is a consistent contributorCreechur is a consistent contributorCreechur is a consistent contributorCreechur is a consistent contributor

Good luck with this! Ran this myself a few weeks ago, make sure you take care of all the joints cause they sure get a beating with this schedule. Strong numbers thus far!

Current//Goal (Gym lifts only)

SQ: 505//550
BP: 385//415
DL: 590//635
Creechur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 01:45 PM   #5
Soldier
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creechur View Post
Good luck with this! Ran this myself a few weeks ago, make sure you take care of all the joints cause they sure get a beating with this schedule. Strong numbers thus far!
Thanks. I've actually tried higher frequency and volume in the past, so this isn't too bad. Granted, those harder programs didn't always work out very well. I'm interested to see where this goes.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:07 AM   #6
yangwenbin
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Complete Chaos!
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: milk
yangwenbin is an elite memberyangwenbin is an elite memberyangwenbin is an elite memberyangwenbin is an elite memberyangwenbin is an elite memberyangwenbin is an elite memberyangwenbin is an elite memberyangwenbin is an elite memberyangwenbin is an elite memberyangwenbin is an elite memberyangwenbin is an elite member

Good luck with that program, great start!
Old 08-03-2015, 03:47 PM   #7
Soldier
Max Brawn

Well, I got through 2 sessions without modifying the program, which is pretty good for me! Anyways, yes, I've modified the bench day, but just a little. Pretty much same overall volume, and pretty much same weights. Here's what I did.

Bench with pause-
45x a bunch
135x10
185x10
225x5
225x5
225x5
225x5

Snatch grip hang clean and press-
3 sets of 8-10 with 95

CG Spoto press with bench daddy-
2 sets of 8 with 225

OHP-
95x10
95x8
115x8
115x10

Basically I'm doing lower reps on the bench but more sets. Same volume, but lower reps so I can keep things tight. I'm working based off of a video Chad Wesley Smith did a few days back where he mentioned that 6x70%, 5x75%, and 4x80% are good rep schemes for general strength. Hard to argue with that, so I went on the low side and did sets of 5 at 70%. Sets of 5 have worked well for me in the past, BUT I've made some mistakes. I went too often, I went with too many sets, and I used linear progression. I'll do my best to use what works and avoid what doesn't, and we'll just have to see what happens in the end.

Squat and deads tomorrow.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:11 PM   #8
Soldier
Max Brawn

Second leg day is in the books. At first I tried to do the sets with just sleeves, but almost immediately I started having pain in my knees. This was really frustrating because the weight was so light at only 315. I got a couple reps in and just said screw it and racked it. From there on in I used my wraps. I wrapped a little more loosely with each subsequent set, to make sure that I'm not getting to reliant on them to move the actual weight.

Also, after my first 2 sets I got caught up in a session a couple other trainers were doing. One of them was teaching another how to snatch, but he was having trouble. I ended up helping him for about 15 minutes, which meant I rested way more than I should have, lol. I still got the work done though.

Squat-
4 sets of 8 with 315

Deadlift-
2 sets of 8 with 365

I did the deadlifts the same as last time, with straps and going TnG. The difference was that I went beltless for these. They weren't too tough. Bench tomorrow, then I'll finish the week with a rest day before going into week 2. Week 2 has some really intense workouts, lots of volume and high density as well. I'm not looking forward to the sessions, but I'm looking forward to the results.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:39 PM   #9
Soldier
Max Brawn

Bench day, and also the last day of the training "week". I started the program last Friday, so there you go. Today is bench. My shoulders felt pretty good, and my form is feeling good too. I can feel some strain in my shoulders the first few inches off the chest, but it's manageable.

Bench (paused)-
45x a bunch
135x10
185x8
235x5
235x5
235x5
235x5

Once I was done with bench I loaded up 95lb on the bar and did a bunch of supersets of OHP and pull ups. I can't do a bunch of pull ups, but I can do enough to still hit my back pretty well, and doing lots of sets helps be get good volume on a movement I'm not necessarily that strong on. I did probably about 7 supersets, doing anywhere from 5-10 reps on the OHPs.

After that I finished up with 2 sets of JM presses with 135. They weren't pure JM presses, just a CG bench with tucked elbows while bringing the bar to my upper chest, but the emphasis was definitely on my triceps. As I got tired I just shortened the ROM and took them right up to failure.

Rest tomorrow, then what will probably be one of the toughest squat sessions I've ever done. We'll just have to see how it goes.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:06 PM   #10
Ben
Brawn

Ben is a dedicated contributorBen is a dedicated contributorBen is a dedicated contributorBen is a dedicated contributorBen is a dedicated contributorBen is a dedicated contributorBen is a dedicated contributorBen is a dedicated contributorBen is a dedicated contributorBen is a dedicated contributorBen is a dedicated contributor

Great session Tate, smash those squats!
Ben is online now   Reply With Quote