Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 05-17-2015, 01:46 PM   #1
Soldier
Max Brawn

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member
Default Soldier's log

That's right, no funny names this time. Just a place for me to talk about what I'm doing and how my business is going. My schedule is finally settling down and I'm finding that I miss having a place to write out my workouts, so here I am.

For any of you new guys who don't know my story, I spent the last 3 years in the Army, but got out a few months back because of injuries. I moved my wife and 2 kids back to my hometown and started training people out of my garage. I then moved my operation into a local crossfit gym, where I work as an independent trainer. I might go back to school, but the main goal right now is to build my business. I consider myself a powerlifter, but I have yet to compete. I hope to give it a try asap.

My training changes all the time. I've experimented with every training program under the sun, and I'll hardly ever do the exact same workout multiple times.

My goal right now is to deadlift 3x bodyweight before the end of 2016. The way I'll reach that goal is to cut from 242 down to 220 while also taking my deadlift from 600 up to 660.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2015, 02:02 PM   #2
Soldier
Max Brawn

Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Here's my squat/DL session from yesterday. I'm currently doing this lower body day every 4th day. I prefer to keep my frequency as high as possible. It's served me well in the past. Cutting kills my lower body strength, so instead of fighting it I'm keeping the weights light and focusing on acceleration, CAT style. I'm using very light bands to help keep the bar on my back at the top, and to produce on over-speed eccentric. I'm also using a sensor attached to the bar to measure bar velocity.

Squat-
5x5 with 235+red bands, avg. around .7m/s
Goal is to continue to add weight while maintaining speed.

Speed pulls, conventional w/ straps-
3 sets of 3 with 225

Box jump to 31" box-
3 sets of 2, alternating with speed pulls

Box jumps were tough at first, but I focused on getting lower and improving my timing with my arm swing and hip extension, and towards the end the jumps got pretty easy.

I finished my DL work by working up to a set of 2 speed pulls with 405. The bar moved slow and 405 was way harder than it should have been, but I had already done a lot of work, so I'm not going to be too hard on myself. I'm also working on getting into a better position before I pull. It feels weird, but I know it'll pay off in the long run when I finally get up towards 650+.

Pendlay rows, tng-
225x5
225x8
135x25

Last edited by Soldier; 05-17-2015 at 02:05 PM.
Old 05-17-2015, 02:20 PM   #3
Soldier
Max Brawn

Bench session from today. I'm using linear periodization, adding 5lb every other day, which is also how often I'm benching. I started with 5x5 (25 total reps) with 225, sticking with 5x5 until I was up to 245, then dropping to 7x3 (21 total reps) and continuing to add weight. I'm hoping to get up around 7x3 with 275, then I'll drop to 5x2 and keep going. Hopefully I'll get up around 300 for that, then I'll test and go back to 5x5 again.

Bench-
7x3 with 260

Seated DB OHP-
15x20
25x20
35x20
35x18

DB triceps extension-
15x failure
25x failure
25x failure

Shoulder destroyer drop set, all sets of both movements done with no rest-

standing DB OHP-
35x10
30x10
25x10
20x10
15x10
10x10

Lateral raise-
30x10
25x10
20x10
15x10
10x10
Old 05-17-2015, 05:12 PM   #4
Iron_Addict82
Max Brawn

Training Exp: Not enough
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Beta Alanine
Iron_Addict82 is a lifting beastIron_Addict82 is a lifting beastIron_Addict82 is a lifting beastIron_Addict82 is a lifting beastIron_Addict82 is a lifting beastIron_Addict82 is a lifting beastIron_Addict82 is a lifting beastIron_Addict82 is a lifting beastIron_Addict82 is a lifting beastIron_Addict82 is a lifting beastIron_Addict82 is a lifting beast

Good plan and impressive session!
Iron_Addict82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 06:17 PM   #5
yangwenbin
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Complete Chaos!
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: milk
yangwenbin is an elite memberyangwenbin is an elite memberyangwenbin is an elite memberyangwenbin is an elite memberyangwenbin is an elite memberyangwenbin is an elite memberyangwenbin is an elite memberyangwenbin is an elite memberyangwenbin is an elite memberyangwenbin is an elite memberyangwenbin is an elite member

Good luck with your goals! Strong bench!
Old 05-17-2015, 07:08 PM   #6
Soldier
Max Brawn

Thanks guys, feeling really good!
Old 05-17-2015, 10:18 PM   #7
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

Great plan
Old 05-19-2015, 08:46 AM   #8
LiftingDad
Brawn

Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squbendeadlift
Fav Supp: Gym Juice
LiftingDad is a dedicated contributorLiftingDad is a dedicated contributorLiftingDad is a dedicated contributorLiftingDad is a dedicated contributorLiftingDad is a dedicated contributorLiftingDad is a dedicated contributorLiftingDad is a dedicated contributorLiftingDad is a dedicated contributorLiftingDad is a dedicated contributorLiftingDad is a dedicated contributorLiftingDad is a dedicated contributor

As long as it works, then you are good to go!
I like a more prolonged progression, but each person is different.
5x5
6x4
6x3, 1x4
5x2, 2x3
3x1, 2x2

YouTube: http://youtube.com/LiftingDad
Home Page: Liftingdad.com
LiftingDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 12:16 PM   #9
Soldier
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftingDad View Post
As long as it works, then you are good to go!
I like a more prolonged progression, but each person is different.
5x5
6x4
6x3, 1x4
5x2, 2x3
3x1, 2x2
The reason I dropped from 5 rep sets to 3 rep sets is so I can keep adding weight. If I'm at a weight where I can just barely get 5x5, if I go to 6x4 with the same weight I'll already be working with high intensity relative to the total volume. I worked up to 5x5 with 245, so when I dropped to sets of 3 I started with 245 but it was really easy. Dropping the relative intensity gives me a couple sessions to recover before I'm really struggling to finish the sets again.

That's the great thing about lifting though, all you really need is progression and consistency. The specifics are fun to analyze, but really not that important, lol.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:26 PM   #10
Soldier
Max Brawn

Honestly, and I know I've already said this, my bench is feeling better than it ever has. My weight has been sitting around 242. I haven't been pushing to get the number on the scale any lower, because the number on the bar is going up nicely. I'm going to sit at 242 for a little while and try to keep my progression going, then in a few weeks I'll get a little more fat off.

Here's how my benching went today;

Bench-
45x a bunch
135x10
185x5
225x5

Working sets-
7 sets of 3 with 265

265 was flying up, so after my 7th set I tossed on 275 and did a quick set of 4. I could have gotten 5 or maybe even 6 (my current PR with 275), but I was already tired and I didn't want greed to get the best of me. Patience is prudent with this type of linear progression.

After benching I did a little shoulder and triceps work, but not much. My wife needed me at home and honestly, I didn't mind leaving. There was very little breeze today and the gym was hot as HELL. Our gym is a Quonset hut-style metal building, and if there isn't enough breeze to flush out the hot air it's basically an oven.

I'll do lower body tomorrow, then Thursday-Monday I'm taking the family to the beach, so no training for a few days.