Notices

Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 05-17-2015, 12:47 AM   #1
Primate
Brawn

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Coffee
Primate is a consistent contributorPrimate is a consistent contributorPrimate is a consistent contributorPrimate is a consistent contributorPrimate is a consistent contributorPrimate is a consistent contributorPrimate is a consistent contributorPrimate is a consistent contributorPrimate is a consistent contributorPrimate is a consistent contributorPrimate is a consistent contributor
Default Let's get physical physical

Figured I might start up a training log.

A bit of background, I started off in boxing and jiu-jitsu. Injured my back, kept training around it. Injured my back again.
I ended up training people in self-defence, grappling etc. Left my body pretty ruined, my back especially.

I decided to start lifting weights to help keep me healthy, strong and injury free. Weights kinda ended up taking over and I've all but stopped training martial arts.

I started off with Stronglifts, saw some pretty good progress (I still distinctly remember the first time I stepped into a gym and struggled bench pressing the bar). My technique wasn't the best, especially in the squat and I ended up I aggravating my back injury more than once. I spent a bit of time program hopping and eventually settled on 531.

I stuck with it for almost 2 years, in various forms. I played with all the variations (joker sets and first set last and BBB) and hit some PBs that I'm pretty proud of.

I had signed up to enter my first powerlifting meet in April, but I re-injured my back about 3 weeks beforehand and had to pull out.

I decided to change up my program and started on the Texas Method, I've already seen some amazing progress, back feels great and I'm due to hit some new 1rms very soon.
Primate is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2015, 01:00 AM   #2
Dray
100kg w/ abs! :p
Max Brawn

Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: bench press
Fav Supp: whey & fish oil
Dray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite member

Cool stuff, mate. Glad you've found what works for you. I also know that can take a while. For me, so far, that seems to be a pretty basic upper/lower, auto-regulating.

Where are your lifts at now, Primate?

edit: I'm also familiar with trying to balance lifting and MA (in my case, KM). Tricky sometimes...
Old 05-17-2015, 04:10 AM   #3
Primate
Brawn

Primate is a consistent contributorPrimate is a consistent contributorPrimate is a consistent contributorPrimate is a consistent contributorPrimate is a consistent contributorPrimate is a consistent contributorPrimate is a consistent contributorPrimate is a consistent contributorPrimate is a consistent contributorPrimate is a consistent contributorPrimate is a consistent contributor

Volume day today.
5x5 squats at 127.5kg
5x5 bench at 90kg
3x8 RDLs at 105kg

Squats felt good. That's a 2.5kg PR for 5x5. Just going to keep adding weight till they start slowing down.
Bench felt very easy. Hopefully it carries over to intensity day this Thursday, because last week was pretty rough.

Finished off with some band pull aparts.
Old 05-17-2015, 04:13 AM   #4
Primate
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dray View Post
Cool stuff, mate. Glad you've found what works for you. I also know that can take a while. For me, so far, that seems to be a pretty basic upper/lower, auto-regulating.

Where are your lifts at now, Primate?

edit: I'm also familiar with trying to balance lifting and MA (in my case, KM). Tricky sometimes...
Current PBs are 165kg / 363lb squat, 110kg / 242lb bench and 160kg / 352lb deadlift.

I've read a little bit about auto-regulating. I like the idea of it and I'd love to work it into my TM set up eventually.
Old 05-17-2015, 04:54 AM   #5
big_swede
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

good stuff man!
Old 05-17-2015, 06:09 AM   #6
yangwenbin
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Complete Chaos!
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: milk
yangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master member

First logged session and already a 5x5 squat PR! Great work, keep getting stronger, Primate!
Old 05-17-2015, 06:12 AM   #7
Primate
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by yangwenbin View Post
First logged session and already a 5x5 squat PR! Great work, keep getting stronger, Primate!
Getting on this Texas method is the best thing I've done for my lifting in months. Everything just keeps going up. Every week I get worried I won't hit my reps, but every week the bar keeps moving. It's great.
Old 05-17-2015, 01:45 PM   #8
Iron_Addict82
Max Brawn

Training Exp: Not enough
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Beta Alanine
Iron_Addict82 is a lifting beastIron_Addict82 is a lifting beastIron_Addict82 is a lifting beastIron_Addict82 is a lifting beastIron_Addict82 is a lifting beastIron_Addict82 is a lifting beastIron_Addict82 is a lifting beastIron_Addict82 is a lifting beastIron_Addict82 is a lifting beastIron_Addict82 is a lifting beastIron_Addict82 is a lifting beast

Keep killing it!
Iron_Addict82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:56 PM   #9
Primate
Brawn

Some video from yesterday.
Final set of both squats and bench. Lost count on the squats and did an extra rep.
http://youtu.be/4FoO-rf_AX0

http://youtu.be/IZ9aDVmsv9o

Don't know how to embed from my phone
Old 05-18-2015, 04:56 AM   #10
Primate
Brawn

Assistance / GPP day today.
3x10 barbell rows
3x10 roll outs (from knees)
3x10 curls
3x20 band face pulls
100 sledgehammer swings

I keep everything fairly light. Just enough to break a sweat and get the blood flowing.