Notices

Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 04-16-2015, 06:27 PM   #1
MadeInScotland
New Brawn

MadeInScotland is off to a bad start
Default Back Into Training

Hello all,

I've decided to start a log for motivational reasons and for accountability as I train alone at home.

Over the past few years my training has dwindled away at the same time as I found life increasingly more difficult to cope with.

Training had been helping me reduce stress but I found it was helping less and less. In the end, I injured a knee and then both elbows and I was unable to do most decent exercises so training took a nose dive.

Motivation in life in general was an issue, let alone training. I read somewhere that if you've lost interest in doing things that you enjoy then it could be depression and it's worth talking to someone.

I had been struggling with anxiety and stress for many years and possibly mild depression. History of mental illness/depression on Mother's side, grandfather on father's side also had a breakdown mid-life.

I decided about a year ago to go to the Doctor and ask for help instead of hiding it any longer as I wasn't coping, I have a young family and, for their sake in particular, I thought that I should get myself sorted out.

The Doctor took me seriously, gave me options and I chose to go on a fairly low dose of an SSRI antidepressant for anxiety. This worked by reducing anxiety and giving me a lift emotionally but made me extremely tired(as in having to take a nap at 3pm if possible and feeling like I could fall asleep when driving).

The Doctor was concerned at the fatugue and sent me for some blood tests for diabetes, thyroid and others.

Thankfully all were ok, not diabetic, thyroid fine, liver and kidney tests all good.

I tried halving the dose with the Doctor's permission as we decided it(the tiredness) could just be the way my body handles it.

The tiredness stopped within a week but the effect of the drug was minimal. After giving it a shot for a few months, I went back to the Doctor but couldn't get the same Doctor that day so I spoke to a new Doctor.

She asked me if I wanted to try a different antidepressant because sometimes it takes a few shots to find the right one and she said she has had better results on patients with SNRI's rather than SSRI's.

I then came off the first drug and went on the other, gradually building up to the standard dose for anxiety/mild depression.

I feel that it is beginning to work and, although I am maybe getting some fatigue, I'm not getting side effects.

After reading up on antidepressants, as I understand it, they can help by encouraging neurogenesis, rebuilding damaged neurons in the brain. Exercise also helps as do a few other things. Stress destroys them as does alcohol and some other things.

Why have I shared this personal info on a weight lifting log? Well, men don't often talk about this type of thing and if it can help someone else reading what I do(if it works for me) then I'd be glad to help. Mental illness isn't like a broken leg where you can clearly see what's wrong with the person, they often hide it for fear they will be judged as being less of a man or mad or whatever. The reality though is that the world is a more stressful place than it's ever been and more & more people are going down with mental illness/stress/depression etc.

My knee is a lot better but not perfect. I believe it was a form of jumper's knee caused by trying to box squat too low, with poor form and for as many reps as poss.

Tennis elbow was caused by jumping into a new routine of high rep kettlebell swings with poor form(slight bend in elbows) and too frequent swings. Tennis elbow takes a long time to go away.

In the past year I have tried various different methods of training and rep ranges but ultimately no progress made for some time now. Partly lack of motivation, partly fatigue, training round injuries and OCD changing routines of course! The number 1 no-no.

I'm 39 now, I feel I need to gain what I can now as things will decline in the next decade. There isn't time to mess around.

I have a decent home gym set-up with a power rack and some speciality bars and benches so no excuses really.

I've had to avoid full squats of any kind for a long time now as at one point, even air squats were irritating my knee.

I read a Poliquin article on jumper's knee which advised a type of step-up as rehab which worked. It advised that weak VMO muscles are often an issue. I added in some lighter bench-squatting and leg extensions which I think actually help this knee problem.

I've drawn up a routine that's based on some ideas from reading Hepburn, Ditillo, Waterbury, Tsatsouline, and some others on this website.

My aim is to stick to the plan for at least three months to see if it works. I'm basing the main lifts on the 10x3 method. Other lifts are mostly 4 sets of 6 or 5 sets of 5 with the same weight. There are some other exercises with higher rep ranges but I feel 10x3, 4x6 and 5x5 are honest Powerbuilding rep ranges that will build useful muscle without training to exhaustion.

I like upper/lower splits as in ABA, BAB, ABA etc.

I've come up with some routines rotating through the main lifts and the assistance has more variety.

Day 1.
Bench 10x3
Upper body assistance push and pull

Day 3.
Trap bar deadlifts 10x3
Lowe body assistance, abs, calves

Day 5.
One arm dumbbell rows 10x3
Upper body assistance push and pull

Day 8. Box squats 10x3
Lower body assistance, abs, calves

Day 10.
Bench 10x3
Upper body assistance push and pull(different to day 1)

Day 12.
Trap bar deadlifts 10x3
Lowe body assistance, abs, calves(different to day 3)

Day 15.
One arm dumbbell rows 10x3
Upper body assistance push and pull(different to day 5)

Day 17. Box squats 10x3
Lower body assistance, abs, calves(different to day 8)

Day 19. Back to same as day 1. and repeat.

I've tried to keep it fairly simple. It's basically four different sessions done 3 days a week ie. Bench Monday, TBDL wed, Rows friday, Squats Monday, Bench wednesday and so on. Each day has two different assistance options alternated each time.

I've put variety in the assistance because the 10x3 is slightly boring and also to get the benefit of sometimes using dumbbells, sometimes one arm movements, sometimes a similar but different exercise.

I've lost a lot of strength messing around the past year with pump routines and other methods - I should have known better!

I could do with gaining strength in rows, overhead strength and triceps size and strength.

Due to limited training space/ceiling height, pitched roof, I can't do standing barbell presses but a have just enough room to do one arm dumbbell presses so I will add some of them as well as seated presses.

I like dips but they hurt my shoulders, I like front squats but I'm being careful with my knees at the moment.

I've just added box squats back into the routine but have decided to raise them by four inches and take it slow and light to make sure the knee is ok.

I'm doing some bench squats too/high box squats because I want to squat but in the past have aggravated my knee so I'm not trying to cheat by doing bench squats, I'm trying to load my knees in a strong position to strengthen the joint. Maybe at a later date I can return to proper squatting.

I'm not allowed to change the routine or exercises unless I have good reason eg. knee getting injured or exercise doesn't work for me/no progress for several sessions.

I'll post up some recent sessions tomorrow. My numbers are pretty low at the moment but if I can be held accountable here and stick to it for at least 3 months, I think I can make progress with this system.

Thanks for reading if you got this far!
MadeInScotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2015, 07:22 PM   #2
MikeM
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 4 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Thanks for sharing. I was medicated for manic depressive behavior as a teen/young adult and have had to be aware of depression cropping up from time to time as I got older. I'm 50 now and haven't had any episodes in years thank goodness. So, I hear ya on that! Hope things work out for you and the meds continue working better and better.

I work out at home too and this is a great place for motivation and accountability! As for numbers, don't worry about that. Everybody has been there at some time or other. Haha, I'm there now as I've let myself be inconsistent the last year and now have to start over basically. It is what it is.

Cheers!

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5 while healthy and fit
"Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often." Fazc.
"Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea." miked96
"Squat:15 sets of 3 with 150Kg
Deadlift:15 sets of 3 with 150Kg
It's not rocket science." Big Swede
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 12:11 AM   #3
yangwenbin
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Complete Chaos!
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: milk
yangwenbin is an elite memberyangwenbin is an elite memberyangwenbin is an elite memberyangwenbin is an elite memberyangwenbin is an elite memberyangwenbin is an elite memberyangwenbin is an elite memberyangwenbin is an elite memberyangwenbin is an elite memberyangwenbin is an elite memberyangwenbin is an elite member

It looks like a good plan to restart your training, mate!
Old 04-19-2015, 05:56 PM   #4
MadeInScotland
New Brawn

MadeInScotland is off to a bad start

Thanks Mike and Yang!

Sorry I didn't post my training the next day like I said I would, I trained but didn't have time to type it all in.

Here goes, the sessions I have done recently while following this plan:

SUNDAY 5TH OF APRIL 2015(KILOS)
BENCH PRESS 60X3,70X3,80X3X3X3X3X3X3X3X3X3X3ADD 2.5KG NEXT TIME
CHIN-UPS BW+15X5X5X5X3X4
EZ CURLS 30X6,37X6X6X6X5&1/2
SHOULDER HORN SPINLOCK DB'S + 0.5X20/20X20/20X20/20
COC GRIPPERS COC TRAINERX5/5, C0C#1X12/12, COC TRAINERX27/27

MONDAY 6TH APRIL 2015(KILOS)
TRAP BAR DEADLIFTS 80X3,90X3,100X3,110X3X3X3X3X3X3X3X3X3X3 ADD 5KG NEXT TIME
SAFETY BAR BENCH SQUATS 45X3,65X3,75X3,85X3,90X6X5X5X5X5 ADD 5KG NEXT TIME
LEG EXTENSIONS 47X15X15 ADD 2KG NEXT TIME
INCLINE SIT UPS BWX30, BW+15X30, BW+20X20
SEATED CALF RAISES 76X15X13X12

WEDNESDAY 8TH APRIL 2015(KILOS)
ONE ARM DB ROWS 30X3/3,40X3/3,50X3/3X3/3X3/3X3/3X3/3X3/3X3/3X3/3X3/3X3/3. ADD 1KG NEXT TIME
PRESS BEHIND NECK 30X3, 35X3, 40X6X6X6X6 ADD 2KG NEXT TIME
INCLINE BENCH 50X6, 60X6, 73X5X4X4X4
TRICEPS BAR PULLOVER EXTENSIONS 36X12X10 ADD 2KG NEXT TIME
INCLINE DUMBBELL CURLS 15/15X11, 12.5/12.5X12 GO UP TO 15KG DB'S NEXT TIME

SUNDAY 12TH APRIL 2015(KILOS)
BOX SQUATS 20X3,30X3,40X3,50X3,60X3,70X3,80X3X3X3X3X3X3X3X3X3 X3 ADD 5KG NEXT TIME
BACK EXTENSIONS BW X20X20X20X20X20 ADD 1 REP PER SET IF POSS NEXT TIME
SIDE BENDS 34X20/20X16/16X12/12
ONE LEG DUMBBELL CALF RAISES ON BLOCK 34X10/10X10/10X10/10 ADD 0.5KG NEXT TIME
LEG EXTENSIONS 49X15/15

THURSDAY 16TH APRIL 2015(KILOS)
BENCH PRESS 60X3,70X3,82.5X3X3X3X3X3X3X3X3X3X3 ADD2.5KG NEXT TIME
CHIN-UPS BW+15X5X5X5X5X4&1/2
PULLUPS BWX5X5X5X5X5 ADD 5KG NEXT TIME
INCLINE DUMBBELL PRESS30/30X8X8 ADD 1KG NEXT TIME PER DB
ONE ARM DUMBBELL PREACHER CURLS 19X6/6X4/4X5/5X5/5

FRIDAY 17TH APRIL 2015(KILOS)
TRAP BAR DEADLIFTS 80X3,90X3,100X3,115X3X3X3X3X3X3X3X3X3X3 ADD 5KG NEXT TIME
LEG CURLS 20X6,30X6,37X6X6X6X6 ADD 1KG NEXT TIME
HANGING LEG RAISES X20X10X10 ADD REPS NEXT TIME
SEATED CALF RAISES 76X13X12X10
LEG EXTENSIONS 50X15X15 ADD 0.5KG NEXT TIME

SUNDAY 19TH APRIL 2015(KILOS)
ONE ARM DUMBBELL ROWS 30X3/3,40X3/3,51X3/3X3/3X3/3X3/3X3/3X3/3X3/3X3/3X3/3X3/3 ADD 0.5KG NEXT TIME
BENCH PRESS 60X6,70X6,80X6X6X6X6 ADD 2.5 KG NEXT TIME
SWISS BAR BENCH PRESS 40X6,50X6,60X6X6X6X6 ADD 5KG NEXT TIME
PALMS-UP BARBELL ROWS 70X8X8 ADD 5KG NEXT TIME
ONE ARM DUMBBELL OVERHEAD PRESS 20X5/5,25X8/8

That's where I'm up to now. Just one more session to complete the cycle of assistance exercises then back to the same one as the one I started with.

I'm finding my feet either with some new exercises or with some I've done before but trying to gain strength back.

Some are too light so I'm going to add weight fast the next one or two sessions then back to small amounts, others I'm at what I think is a good weight for me and I'm going to microload from now on. eg. dumbbell rows. these feel heavy for me so I'm only going to add 0.5 kg if/when I get 10 sets of 3 reps.

It seems to be going ok for now and it's fairly enjoyable with the variety.

On upper body days I'm supersetting/alternate setting the lifts so tonight for example, by the time I was finished with dumbbell rows, I was also finished with bench presses and swiss bar bench presses.

I then alternated the bb rows with the overhead presses.

I feel motivated to train and my appetite is good so these are two good signs.

The plan is to train 3 times a week, preferably with no two days in a row but if need be I can do, but never 3 days in a row.

I've put the row day after the trap bar deadlift day for this reason(so the back isn't weak from rows when I do trap bar deadlifts).

Knee and elbows seem ok.

Thanks for reading!
MadeInScotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:01 PM   #5
yangwenbin
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Complete Chaos!
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: milk
yangwenbin is an elite memberyangwenbin is an elite memberyangwenbin is an elite memberyangwenbin is an elite memberyangwenbin is an elite memberyangwenbin is an elite memberyangwenbin is an elite memberyangwenbin is an elite memberyangwenbin is an elite memberyangwenbin is an elite memberyangwenbin is an elite member

Great weights to restart with and really good selection of lifts, one arm DB presses and rows, these are great! Strength will be back in no time!