Notices

Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 03-29-2015, 08:24 AM   #1
powerturn11
Brawn

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Creatine
powerturn11 has made some quality postspowerturn11 has made some quality postspowerturn11 has made some quality postspowerturn11 has made some quality postspowerturn11 has made some quality postspowerturn11 has made some quality posts
Default Summer Cut

I've browsed this forum for awhile now so I figured I would start a journal over here. Brief history I'm 38 and I've been training off and on since high school. I stopped lifting for about a ten year run in that time, never really serious when I was lifting. In the last year I've gotten very serious. First time in my life I've actually counted macros and bothered to care about nutrition. I've been bulking for a lifetime now it's time for a cut. I'm 6' 2" and my starting weight for this cut is 250. I carry a fair amount of muscle but my bodyfat is high as well. My goal is to cut slowly to try and preserve as much mass as possible. I'm a lifetime natural lifter so it's even more critical I adjust slowly to try and preserve as much muscle as possible. My current daily macro goals for workout days are:

Protein-250g
Fat-55g
carbs-245g

On non-workout days I will eat more fat and lower the carbs slightly. As long as I'm hitting my protein and calorie goal for the day I won't stress to hard about it.

I don't take many supplements but currently I take:

Protein Powder-Usually one time during work day and post workout.
BCAA and EAA-Intra Workout, might move to post workout as well.
Creatine-once a day.

Here was my last workout:

HS row
Worked up to 4-45's and 1-25 a side (5 total sets)

Meadow rows
Worked up to 2-45, 1-35 (4 total sets)

Stretchers
4x12

Straight arm pulldowns
4x12 (last set drop)

Shrugs (behind back and in front)
4x12
Old 03-29-2015, 09:29 AM   #2
Dray
hope to lift again soon..
Max Brawn

Training Type: None
Fav Exercise: deadlift
Fav Supp: whey & fish oil
Dray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite member

Welcome, PT. It's a great forum to be part of, most definitely.

Even though I started lifting much later in life, I'm a similar age (turned 40 quite recently). Also opting out of PEDs for life, like a lot of others around here - though not all, of course (each to his or her own).

So, muscle-building/maintenance would be your highest priority? Not looking to compete in anything, I take it.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:49 PM   #3
powerturn11
Brawn

powerturn11 has made some quality postspowerturn11 has made some quality postspowerturn11 has made some quality postspowerturn11 has made some quality postspowerturn11 has made some quality postspowerturn11 has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dray View Post
Welcome, PT. It's a great forum to be part of, most definitely.

Even though I started lifting much later in life, I'm a similar age (turned 40 quite recently). Also opting out of PEDs for life, like a lot of others around here - though not all, of course (each to his or her own).

So, muscle-building/maintenance would be your highest priority? Not looking to compete in anything, I take it.
Thanks for the welcome. I do like the board and lurk quite a bit so I figured I might as well start a log here too. I have nothing against PED use at all, I have several friends who have gone that route, I'm as strong as them by the way but trying to preserve muscle while dieting as a natural is muuuucch more difficult so I've really got to watch my diet and try to cut slowly.

You're right on the money, right now I'm trying to preserve muscle while cutting, building muscle in a calorie deficit would be great, but I don't think it will happen.

No not thinking of competing right now, but who knows maybe some day.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:04 PM   #4
yangwenbin
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Complete Chaos!
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: milk
yangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master member

Welcome here, powerturn11! I hope this board will help you to reach your goals!
Old 03-30-2015, 04:24 PM   #5
powerturn11
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by yangwenbin View Post
Welcome here, powerturn11! I hope this board will help you to reach your goals!
Thanks there is some good information around here.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:34 PM   #6
powerturn11
Brawn

Chest and Shoulders day

Slight Decline Smith Press
Sets of 25, 20, 12, 8

Incline Barbell Bench w/bands
135x12, 155x8, 185x8, 205x8, 205x8 (don't lock out constant tension every rep every set) These are brutal with the bands, fry the Pecs. I don't use the bands like a powerlifter does I use them to keep tension on the exercise. I train using Mountain Dog philosophies so I really chase the pump and keep constant pressure on the muscle. Helps keep me healthy and the muscles growing.

Machine Incline
4x12 (don't lock out, last set triple drop set followed by partials)

Pec Deck flys
4x12 (hold last rep of everyset in stretch positon as long as possible)

Bent-Over Laterals
4x15-20 reps

Six-ways
3x10

Leaning Lean away one arm laterals
3x15 (last set drop set)

Workout took awhile to get through today. Since dialing in my intra-workout nutrition I'm able to get bigger pumps and train longer.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:26 PM   #7
powerturn11
Brawn

Suns out gunzz out:

EZ reverse curls
5x10 10 sec rest in between sets. Gets a huge pump going and blood into the elbows. I've been fighting elbow pain for years now. Part of the reason I train like I do. I still love compound movements but I put them second or third in my bodypart rotation. Without going into to much detail I've also battled sciatic nerve pain for along time as well. The beginning if last year it flared up to the point I could barely walk. I've always got to keep and eye on not. Can't go as heavy but staying healthy and continuing to stay healthy must be doing something right.

Tricep push downs
5x12

HS Preacher Curls / Overhead Rope Ext. (Superset)
4x10 (last set partials) / 4x12 (last set partials)

Incline concentration curls / tricep kickbacks (superset)
3x10 / 3x12

Cable curls / incline tricep ext-w/band around body (superset)
2x15 / 2x15

Those who know me know I hate training arms. I always have. The only way I can halfway stand it is using supersets and moving quickly. My main concern with arms is just getting a good pump and forcing a lot of blood in. I can get more out of curling 80lbs with 3 sec negatives and perfect form then I use to curling 135 like a jackass.

I love using the bands in my training. I'm experimenting using them with a lot of different exercises. Really keeps the tension on the muscle, and makes the going to the gym fun! Which is important.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:59 PM   #8
powerturn11
Brawn

Man how I hate non-training days. I've gotten to the point where I hate off days. Right now I'm working out 5 usually 6 days a week depending on how my work schedule falls. I never could have worked out that many days a week a few months ago but my work capacity has built up to this over the past year and my nutrition, especially around the workout, has improved dramatically. Today's workout:
Walk 4 miles
Yard work
Old 04-02-2015, 12:28 PM   #9
powerturn11
Brawn

Back pump day:
This is my 2nd back day during the week. I work back twice a week. The first workout I do all my heavy pulling and the second back workout of the week is all about getting a pump.

Cable rows / neutral grip pulldowns (superset)
4x10

Wide grip pulldowns / straight arm pulldowns (superset)
4x12

Incline cable rows w/band attached
3x15

One arm cable rows
2x15

Calf press
3x30 hold in stretch position last rep of every set.

Done. Had a killer pump at the beginning of the workout, but if seemed to fade fast. I kept my carbs very low yesterday for the off day and I think it affected my workout today. I'm going to bump my carbs up slightly on off days to see if it helps.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:08 PM   #10
OHDL
Max Brawn

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Skwattzz
Fav Supp: Milk
OHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beast

Serious volume man ! Very strong incline too!

- Christopher Hitchens
OHDL is offline   Reply With Quote