Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 01-16-2015, 05:08 PM   #1
ncoatney
Brawn

Training Exp: Less than a year
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: C4
ncoatney is a lifting machinencoatney is a lifting machinencoatney is a lifting machinencoatney is a lifting machinencoatney is a lifting machinencoatney is a lifting machinencoatney is a lifting machinencoatney is a lifting machinencoatney is a lifting machinencoatney is a lifting machinencoatney is a lifting machine
Default Nate's Quest to Get Big and Strong

Alright. I'm 24 years old, 5'10, Weigh 200.

Maxes:

Bench: 150
Squat: 190
Deadlift: 185

Obviously I have some serious work to do. Being 24 years old, and being a type-1 Diabetic(that means my pancreas is KO'd, I'm not overweight) means that I really only have about 10 years of my body being at its physical peak, so I want to add as much muscle and strength as I possibly can.

Thursday 1/15,

Warm up: 10 minutes on Treadmill then stretch

Deadlift:

95X5
135X5
160X5

160 felt good, form was good. Gonna up the poundage next week.

Romanian Dead Lift:

BarX10
135X10
135X8

Could only get 8 reps the second time, these felt heavy, and my hamstrings felt pumped. Gonna stay here next week.

Military Press:

Barx10
65X10
70X7
75X3
65X7

My shoulders and my upper back absolutely SUCK! Of all the areas of my body that I would like to see improvement, its in my upper back and rear delt strength.

Inverted Rows On Smith Machine

Bodyweight X 8
Bodyweight X7
Bodyweight X7

As you can see, I can't even row my bodyweight up off the ground. I changed the depth of the bar several times, but my lats and upper back need a LOT of work. I'm feeling it today

Bodyweight Dips

BodyX15
Bodyx12
BodyX10

Didn't wanna push the last two sets as I felt I'd fall flat on my ass.

Smith Machine Shrugs

185x10
190x8
185x14

Normally, I don't like using the smith machine for anything except upright rows, but several guys were doing front squats with extremely poor form in the squat racks and taking forever, so I increased the weight and got the job done.

Calf Raises

145X15X3

I alternated my foot position each set to work the inner, outer, and full calf muscle. Might wanna up the poundage next week.

Abs:

PlankX3X60 Seconds

Mother of god these sucked today.

Not a bad workout, just need to stick with it and keep progressing. Food Food Food.
ncoatney is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2015, 06:34 PM   #2
Belphegor
Brawn

Training Exp: <1 year
Belphegor is a lifting machineBelphegor is a lifting machineBelphegor is a lifting machineBelphegor is a lifting machineBelphegor is a lifting machineBelphegor is a lifting machineBelphegor is a lifting machineBelphegor is a lifting machineBelphegor is a lifting machineBelphegor is a lifting machineBelphegor is a lifting machine

Looking good, Nate! I will be following your progression.

As a beginner myself (I'm assuming you're a beginner?) I know the feeling of being weak. We all start from the bottom. The important thing, in my mind, is to strive toward progression, and it seems like you have a great attitude and the right mindset going for you. Keep at it!!!

Thanks for sharing and please keep us updated.

28 years old
6'2
199lbs
PR's/Total: None yet

"Have a passion for what you do and you'll never work a day in your life." -Vince McMahon
Belphegor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 07:13 PM   #3
ncoatney
Brawn

ncoatney is a lifting machinencoatney is a lifting machinencoatney is a lifting machinencoatney is a lifting machinencoatney is a lifting machinencoatney is a lifting machinencoatney is a lifting machinencoatney is a lifting machinencoatney is a lifting machinencoatney is a lifting machinencoatney is a lifting machine

Thanks Belgh. Yeah, I 'm definately a beginner in the sense that my strength and muscle mass needs to go up significantly.

Looking forward to seeing how far I can go.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:34 PM   #4
WilldBill88
King of The Cowboys
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 2.5 Years
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
WilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beast

Nice work man! Good to see another Diabetic training, will be following along!!
Old 01-16-2015, 08:35 PM   #5
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: the one that doesn't hurt
Fav Supp: Milk
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncoatney View Post
I really only have about 10 years of my body being at its physical peak,
That may be an average, but we're here to win, not to give in!!
Old 01-16-2015, 09:45 PM   #6
Sandbox
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 30
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Dead Cow
Sandbox is a lifting beastSandbox is a lifting beastSandbox is a lifting beastSandbox is a lifting beastSandbox is a lifting beastSandbox is a lifting beastSandbox is a lifting beastSandbox is a lifting beastSandbox is a lifting beastSandbox is a lifting beastSandbox is a lifting beast

I dig your straight forward approach. No frills lifting=gainz
Old 01-16-2015, 10:35 PM   #7
ncoatney
Brawn

Thanks for the comments and the encouragement guys.

I can't wait for tomorrows workout.

It calls for a set of 20 squats though...my girlfriend is on notice she may have to carry me out of the gym.

I don't care.
Old 01-17-2015, 03:10 PM   #8
ncoatney
Brawn

Saturday January 17

Warm Up: 6 minutes on treadmill, stretching.

Note: Right now I'm using a full body routine written by Steve at that other site which shall not be named. Had to wait a long time cause the squat racks were taken up. But I was loose, and still felt ready to go when the time came.

---

SQUAT:

95X5
125x5
155x5

155 felt good for 5 reps! Monday i'll stick there for my ramp work. This next set...hoo boy.

SET OF 20 SQUATS:

135X5
125x10
95x5

God damn you Bearded Beast and your brutal workouts. I figured 135 for 20 reps would be challenging, but doable. Not after squatting more weight than I had in a few months. So this turned into a drop set. At the end 95 lbs felt like 200, and my quads were dying. Hopefully this will up my squats.

INCLINE DB BENCH PRESS:

30'sX10
30'sx10
30'sx 9

Had to stop in the middle of the 2nd set because of some crappy form which led to some pain in the shoulder muscle. Refocused and got it done. My forearms gave out on the last set. I've always felt that dumb bell exercises are challenging when starting out because the forearms need to get up to speed.

DB Row(One Arm):
27.5'sx15
27.5'sx14
27.5'sx15

These felt good, but were a challenge as I've rowed every workout this week. My back needs work though, so can't complain. I took advice from this forum and was more violent with my movement, while keeping it controlled. I felt the extra explosiveness led to a much better workout for the back.

SEATED ARNOLD PRESS:

25'sx10
25'sx10
25'sx9

Forearms and shoulders could only get to 9, and I don't like training to complete failure when pressing something above the head. Just sounds like a bad idea.

CABLE TRICEP EXTENSIONS

50X10
55X10
55x10

Focused on Form here, and really used slow and controlled excentrics and concentrics.

EZ BAR PREACHER CURLS:

55x10
45x10
45x7

These have always sucked for me, but I love them cause of the isolation I feel on the biceps. Couldn't do a second set of 55, so I go for reps when curling.

LYING HAMSTRING CULRS:

70x15
70x10
70x10

Still feeling those RDLS from Thursday. But these felt good.

ABS:

30 Crunches

Hurt like a mofo.

Always nice having a girlfriend who wants to hit the gym with you, makes it more fun.

Not a bad first week back in the gym. Can't wait for Monday to see if I can progress.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:55 PM   #9
WilldBill88
King of The Cowboys
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 2.5 Years
Training Type: Westside
Fav Supp: Food
WilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beast

Looking good, keep it going!
Old 01-19-2015, 11:17 AM   #10
ncoatney
Brawn

Default Week 2

Thanks WB, keep at it.

Happy MLK Day everyone. I don't work till later, and my girlfriend has the day off. Got a great night sleep last night (much needed after being hungover AF yesterday), and while still battling a cold, felt good enough to get up and put in work.

Monday, January 19th, 2015-MLK Day

Warm up: 6 minutes on Treadmill, Stretching

SQUAT:

Barx10
95x5
125x5
155x5
155x5
155x5

Kept the weight at 155 on the bar since Saturday it felt good. The 2nd set at 155 felt really heavy, but realized it was due to crappy form caused by a poor set up off the rack. I refocused for the final set, and it actually felt much better, and all 5 reps got the quads burning. Amazing what happens when you do things the way you're supposed to. Gonna keep the weight here for Friday.

BENCH PRESS:

Barx5
80x5
110x5
135x5
135x5
135x6

PROGRESS! Last week, was only able to get 4 reps on the 2nd set at 135, this week 135 felt easy, and was able to get 6 unassisted on final set, could've gone a few more with spot help. Gonna up the poundage to 140 for next week.

BENT OVER ROW:

Barx10
65X5
85X5
100X6

Progress again! All the rowing exercises from last week made these feel really good. I used a full range of motion with a wide grip, and was able to row up to my midsection for every rep. Still felt really heavy, but I bet with another solid week of work, I can up to 105 next week.

SMITH MACHINE UPRIGHT ROWS

95X10
95x8
95x7

These felt really heavy this week. Felt it in the forearms and the traps. Gonna keep it here.

EZ BAR SKULL CRUSHERS:

65x10
65x10
65x8

Wasn't able to get 10 on the final set, but these felt good.

SEATED INCLINE ARNOLD CURLS:

20sx10
20sx8
20sx8

Was only able to get 8 on the last two before the arms failed. I like the Arnold curls as opposed to regular DB Curls, because as has been pointed out, the other function of the bicep is to rotate the arm, and I'm always a fan of training the body for what it's naturally supposed to do. Just personal preference. Gonna keep it here.

LYING HAMSTRING CURLS:

70x10
70x10
80x9

Hammys felt sore and tight, so didn't push for 15 reps today. Upped the weight and got as much as I could, good work out.

ABS:

2 Sets of 20 Crunches

Mother of god, I hate doing abs, but I need to do them.

Posworkout: 2 Scoops ON Whey Isolate with 3 cups of 2% Milk

WORK!