Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 12-30-2014, 10:52 AM   #1
joewhitney21
Uber Brawn

Training Exp: 3 years dedicated
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: USPlabs Modern BCAA
joewhitney21 is a consistent contributorjoewhitney21 is a consistent contributorjoewhitney21 is a consistent contributorjoewhitney21 is a consistent contributorjoewhitney21 is a consistent contributorjoewhitney21 is a consistent contributorjoewhitney21 is a consistent contributorjoewhitney21 is a consistent contributorjoewhitney21 is a consistent contributorjoewhitney21 is a consistent contributorjoewhitney21 is a consistent contributor
Default Dad Strength

Here we go...again...

What's different this time?
  • Focus on being an awesome dad
  • Focus on getting stronger
  • Focus on a clean/healthy diet

Being a dad to an amazing little girl is the most rewarding thing in my life, but it is taking a huge hit on some of my strength goals. Priorities are certainly focused on being the best dad I can be.

What that means is not always being able to train with a crew, not always being able to train at optimal times, and sometimes just missing training days all together. But in the end it will be worth it, because I will be stronger and be a good dad at the same time.

Bio:
Name - Joe Whitney
Age - 30
Sport - Powerlifting
Training Time - 7 years of being in the gym, 4 years of focusing on powerlifting and competing in meets.

Personal Bests - Meet
squat - 575 (multi) - 500 (raw)
bench - 375 (multi) - 290 (raw)
dead - 525 (multi) - 555 (raw)

Personal Bests - Gym
squat - 665 (multi) - 500 x 2 (raw)
bench - 495 (multi) - 290 x 3 (raw)
dead - 500 (multi) - 575 (raw)

Last edited by joewhitney21; 12-30-2014 at 01:41 PM.
joewhitney21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2014, 11:04 AM   #2
joewhitney21
Uber Brawn

joewhitney21 is a consistent contributorjoewhitney21 is a consistent contributorjoewhitney21 is a consistent contributorjoewhitney21 is a consistent contributorjoewhitney21 is a consistent contributorjoewhitney21 is a consistent contributorjoewhitney21 is a consistent contributorjoewhitney21 is a consistent contributorjoewhitney21 is a consistent contributorjoewhitney21 is a consistent contributorjoewhitney21 is a consistent contributor

Right now I am running Jonathan Byrd's BIG program.

Using his program in the past I have had great results. That is when I hit my best squat and bench in the gym. I ended up peaking a little too early, because I didn't listen to him, and did not perform as well as I should have at the meet.

The days are laid out in the following:
Monday - bench
Tuesday - back
Thursday - upper aux
Friday - squat

It is a linear periodization using percentages, and some RPE.

I really enjoy the linear periodization because it gives you confidence for the following week. I know if I just squatted 70% for 8 I can certainly squat 75% for 6.

It builds up some endurance strength at the start, and gets me ready to start moving heavy weight come the end of the cycle.

Last edited by joewhitney21; 12-30-2014 at 01:41 PM.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:09 AM   #3
joewhitney21
Uber Brawn

Week 1 - Day 1
Bench

A1) Bench
4 x 8 @ 225 - given a little help on the last few reps of the last set

B1) Kaz press / JM press
4 x 12 @ bar - 85

C1) face pull
5 x 12 @ 5 - 12 plates

D1) partial rangle neutral grip DB skull crusher
3 x 20 @ 20 - 25

E1) DB side bends
4 x 10 @ 80
Old 12-30-2014, 08:43 PM   #4
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: the one that doesn't hurt
Fav Supp: Milk
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

off to a good start Joe and with the right priorities.

if more dudes were dedicated dad's, lifters and healthy eaters it would be a nicer world.

go get some....even if that means at the end of a long day
Old 12-31-2014, 10:01 AM   #5
joewhitney21
Uber Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmalm123 View Post
off to a good start Joe and with the right priorities.

if more dudes were dedicated dad's, lifters and healthy eaters it would be a nicer world.

go get some....even if that means at the end of a long day
Thanks man, in the near future I will be building a home gym in the basement to make it easier to find a balance of being a father and training.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:06 AM   #6
joewhitney21
Uber Brawn

Week 1 Day 2
Back

A1) rack pulls
2x6 @ 405 - bar was pure shit, had no knurling on it.

B1) seated shrugs
4x12 @ 225

C1) DB rows
4x8 @ 75

I used the decline bench to do some inverted spinal decompression as well. It was about a 30 decline. It felt great to just lay there and move my hips around. Low back was popping and then when I stood up it felt fantastic. Next time I am going to try a little by steeper incline.
Old 12-31-2014, 04:42 PM   #7
peachstreetboy
Brawn

Training Exp: 1.5 serious
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: deadlift
Fav Supp: stim heavy pre workouts
peachstreetboy is a consistent contributorpeachstreetboy is a consistent contributorpeachstreetboy is a consistent contributorpeachstreetboy is a consistent contributorpeachstreetboy is a consistent contributorpeachstreetboy is a consistent contributorpeachstreetboy is a consistent contributorpeachstreetboy is a consistent contributorpeachstreetboy is a consistent contributorpeachstreetboy is a consistent contributorpeachstreetboy is a consistent contributor

I'm raising a little girl too and know how you feel. I have been focusing on making more out of less time.

Your still one strong dude.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:19 PM   #8
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: the one that doesn't hurt
Fav Supp: Milk
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewhitney21 View Post
Thanks man, in the near future I will be building a home gym in the basement to make it easier to find a balance of being a father and training.
that will help you immensely... and probably get your kid into lifting.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:12 AM   #9
joewhitney21
Uber Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachstreetboy View Post
I'm raising a little girl too and know how you feel. I have been focusing on making more out of less time.

Your still one strong dude.
Thank you, gotta get stronger though. Right now I feel very weak, squat is WAAAYYY down.

Quote:
that will help you immensely... and probably get your kid into lifting.
Yeah. Have to have the stuff custom made since it is going in the basement though. But S&P equipment is probably whom I am going to go with. He makes some awesome stuff at great prices.

Doing squats tonight, and Byrd suggested that I do them with bands pulling forward to help me keep my arch since I have been rounding really bad lately. If I remember, I will bring my camera to video them.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:07 AM   #10
joewhitney21
Uber Brawn

Week 1 Day 3
Squat

A1) Vector box squats (bands pulling forward)
4x8 @ 225 + orange band

B1) DB SLDL
3x8 @ 75s

C1) leg lifts
3x15

The squats were way tougher than I thought they were going to be. My quads were on fire after every set. It definitely forced me to keep my chest up, and will hopefully correct some of the flaws in my squat. Going to be Benching today, same as last week but a little heavier.