Notices

Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 12-16-2014, 01:05 PM   #1
hrunting
New Brawn

hrunting is off to a bad start
Default Hrunting's log

Hello everyone. Welcome to my log.

Starting in November of 2013 I did 21 weeks of Stronglifts. My final numbers were a 280 lbs. squat, 180 lbs. bench press, 325 lbs. deadlift, 135 lbs. overhead press, and 190 lbs. Pendlay row. At the end of the 21st week my second daughter was born. I decided to take some time off and ended up not lifting for five months. I regret that decision. Five months of stress and hedonism really took its toll. I started lifting again in October. I started light and doubled the amount added to each lift until I reached the point where I required four minutes of rest between squat sets. I went back to a 5 lbs. per session increase at this point.

I put on some fat during the five month hiatus. I started intermittent fasting a couple of weeks before I started lifting again. I also went back to a lower carb diet. Fat loss was going extremely well, but now I think that it might be interfering with my lifting. I have recently begun experimenting with the amount of food that I eat.

I thought that I was doing well with form in the first 21 weeks, but I have corrected a few problems this time around. Iíve reread Starting Strength by Rippetoe and I have tried to apply his teachings as much as possible.

I kept a paper log of all of my lifts since I had quit the Stronglifts Inner Circle. I decided to start a new electronic log for two reasons. The first reason was because I found that it was hard to keep track of much more than the amount of weight lifted on paper. With an online log I can write verbose descriptions of each workout. I also read that I should be involved in some kind of mutually supportive lifting group. It really was a drag to not have anybody to talk to about lifting.

Last edited by hrunting; 12-17-2014 at 09:39 AM.
hrunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2014, 01:24 PM   #2
hrunting
New Brawn

Default 12/12/2014

Squat
2x5 45
3x 95
3x 135
3x 185
2x 225
5x5 260

Overhead Press
2x5 45
3x 75
5x5 120

Deadlift
2x5 135
5x 185
5x 225
5x 255
5x 280

Standing Curl
2x5 50

Well here is the first workout on the Muscle and Brawn forum. The squat felt surprisingly easy. I think it is due in part to a lot of food the previous two days. It was mostly an experiment to see if my disciplined diet which is based on intermittent fasting and low carbohydrates was the reason why the squat was starting to feel so heavy. I took five minutes of rest between each set. The 3rd rep of the 3rd set was awful. I ended up completed twisted out of the hole because my right side went up before my left side. I wasn't paying attention to the vertical groove mental cue. The mantras I am currently using are: think up, bounce, spread the floor, and vertical groove. This weight was especially exciting for me because it is the weight that led me to my first squat deload many months ago.

The overhead press wasn't all that noteworthy. This is the second workout where I switched from the Stronglifts to the Rippetoe method. I think the Rippetoe overhead press helps me keep my upper back tighter.

The deadlift was pretty easy. I am forty pounds short of my previous five rep max. I am doing sets of five for all of the warmup sets.

Last edited by hrunting; 12-16-2014 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:56 PM   #3
hrunting
New Brawn

Default 12/15/2014

Squat
2x5 45
3x 95
3x 135
3x 185
2x 225
5x5 265

Bench press
2x5 45
3x 95
3x 135
5x5 160

Pendlay row
2x5 65
3x 95
3x 135
5x5 160

Standing Curl
2x5 55

I played around with eating more during the weekend between this workout and the previous one. The previous workout went great. I was filled with confidence for this squat session. I figured it would feel easier because I had an extra day of rest as well as a looser diet. It actually felt heavier but my form was better than the previous session.

I'm still at an easy weight for the bench press and Pendlay row. I felt my back arch give out on the second rep of the fifth set and stupidly decided to continue. The third rep was mediocre, the fourth terrible, and I would have dropped the bar on my throat for the fifth rep if I hadn't been benching in my power rack. I redid the last set and it went fine.

The row felt awesome. I love banging my chest like a gorilla!

I'm throwing in some very minor bicep work at the end. In the power rack no less (no worries, it's in my basement). I'm trying to use muscle memory to get them back to the size they were in high school. My brachioradialis muscle on my right side is sore... very sore. I think it's from bending the bar on the bench press. The funny thing is that I didn't even notice that it was sore until I started curling again. Curling is the only time I notice, but it is actually improving how the muscle feels. I plan on doing a combination of weight and reps for progressive overload. I will increase by five pounds until I find the right weight and then I will increase reps.

Last edited by hrunting; 12-17-2014 at 09:40 AM.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:03 PM   #4
hrunting
New Brawn

Default 12-18-2014

Squat
2x5 45
3x 95
3x 135
3x 185
2x 225
1x 245
2x5 270
3x2 270

Overhead Press
2x5 45
3x 85
5x5 125

Deadlift
2x5 135
3x 185
2x 225
2x 265
3x 290

Bicep Curl
2x5 60

I'm not going to lie, I've had better days in the basement. My body in no uncertain terms emphatically told me F@#$ You! I missed a lot of reps on the squat and the deadlift. My grip actually began to give out on the deadlift. This has literally never happened before and I have pulled heavier weight. The overhead press however went well. I think this concludes all the research that was necessary to convince me that working out on a caloric deficit sucks.

I was very diligent about IF, low carb, and generally reducing my caloric intake the previous two days. When I didn't eat enough before it would make the workout more difficult. At these weights it is making the workout impossible.

I haven't kept a food log since it was part of the requirements for a weight lifting class that I took in college. I downloaded MyFitnessPal and have started playing around with the interface. I'll have to do some research to find out how many calories I should be eating instead of playing it by ear. I've never lean bulked before. I'm a little intimidated by it.

The two times that I stalled on Stronglifts were at 260 and 280. The second stall was actually caused by an injury to my left trap. I figured that I would make it back to 280 if not higher this time around. This session is having a surprisingly little impact on my mood. The first time I stalled on a lift it seriously bummed me out. This time I see this as yet another opportunity to prove that eating correctly increases strength. I could feel that failure was imminent during the second rep of the third set. I felt the same on the subsequent attempts.

The overhead press went extremely well. My middle back definitely feels better since I have switch to the Rippetoe method.

The deadlift wasn't great. I didn't even attempt to do five reps for each warmup set. The first two reps at the working weight felt okay, but I knew that something had gone awry during the second rep. The third rep I felt my fingers start to open. I figured what the heck, I'll try the mixed grip. I was always worried about the mixed grip and figured I would wait until I really needed it. I tried it and I was surprised how good it felt. I only managed one more rep and the top of my glutes were screaming. I don't intend to use the mixed grip again anytime soon, but I am happy that I now know what it feels like. Previously in my mind eye the mixed grip would tear a bicep tendon and the bar would swing around like an out of control windmill.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:42 PM   #5
hrunting
New Brawn

Default 12-20-2014

Squat
2x5 45
3x 95
3x 135
3x 185
2x 225
5x5 270

Bench press
2x5 45
3x 95
3x 135
5x5 165

Pendlay row
2x5 65
3x 95
3x 135
5x5 165

Bicep Curl
2x5 65

I wasn't %100 sure I would blast through the squat, but I was very hopeful. It went awesome! I had BBQ ribs running through my veins. In other words I ate more then my usual again. I really like MyFitnessPal.

I am working on my stance. I don't think that I had my feet pointed out enough. I thought I could setup without looking, but I think I still need to pay attention.

I did all of the bench press reps on one breath. I like how it felt. It helped me maintain my arch and general tightness.

The row was the pretty much the same as always except my glutes were still a bit sore from Wednesday.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:46 AM   #6
hrunting
New Brawn

Default 12-22-2014

Squat
2x5 45
3x 95
3x 135
3x 185
2x 225
1x 255
5x5 275

Overhead Press
2x5 45
3x 85
5x 130
5x 130
4x 130
1x 130
0x 130

Deadlift
2x5 135
3x 185
2x 225
1x 265
5x 290

Bicep Curl
8x 45

The overhead press has destroyed better men than I. I'm not surprised I missed some reps. I only reached 135 last time after going through a deload cycle first. I missed 125 three times, restarted at 100, missed 130 two times, and then made it through 130 on the third try. Right before the hiatus I missed reps at 135.

I'm approaching this point on the squat as well. I'm starting to recall how attractive an intermediate program looked five months ago. The only thing that is really stopping me is a neurotic belief that I should avoid switching programs without a good reason and that I should "milk" a beginner program for as long as possible. I think at the very least I should lower the squat weight by 25% on deadlift days. I don't feel like I have much left in the tank for deadlifts after 5x5 heavy squats. I see a Mad Cow in my near future.

I got all of the reps on the squat, but I plan on redoing this weight next time. I'm not sure if I broke parallel on the last reps of a few of the sets.

I don't remember the deadlift being this difficult the last time. I checked my old logs and I think it is because the last time I was at a lighter weight on the squat when I was making easy progress on the deadlift. I should have started the deadlift at a higher weight when I restarted lifting. This seems like yet another reason to back off on the squats on deadlift day. My grip felt good this time but I had to really psyche myself up for each pull and my glutes (erectors maybe) were sore.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:51 PM   #7
hrunting
New Brawn

Default 12-29-2014

Squat
2x5 45
3x 95
3x 135
3x 185
2x 225
1x 255
5x5 275

Bench press
2x5 45
3x 95
3x 135
5x5 170

Pendlay row
2x5 65
3x 95
3x 135
5x5 170

Bicep Curl
5x 45
2x5 65

The short time off wasn't due entirely to the holiday season. It was mostly because I came home from work last Wednesday feeling wretched. I acquired a cold from either my coworkers or my infant daughter. It developed into a productive cough by Friday so I chose to not work out then either. The last time I pushed my luck when I was sick my cough became even more productive and colorful if you get my drift.

The squat went well. Something Johnnie Candito said in one of his videos struck a chord in me. It was in his video on how to overcome to a bad workout. He showed some of his footage from the bad workout and mentions that he was going into the hole too slowly. This may me realize that I was over thinking the descent and it was interfering with my hip bounce. I don't know if I will ever fully figure out hip bounce.

Bench went extremely well. I lost focus on bending the bar on some of the reps. I did each rep with one big breath. I really like this method. I wonder if I can keep using it. I'm not sure if I will ever figure out leg drive either. My arch is definitely better and I am trying to learn to keep my head a quarter inch off the bench.

The row was awesome. My form felt super tight. I can really feel it in my lats this morning.

The curls for the girls are the only time that I notice that my right brachioradialis is sore. I wonder what is causing this and I wonder why I literally only notice it on the curl.

I am looking forward to the next workout. I am going to cut the weight on the squat by %25 on deadlift days. There is no doubt in my mind that 5x5 heavy squats were effecting my deadlift. I feel like me deadlift should be higher relative to my squat. It might also help on the overhead press.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:32 PM   #8
Tannhauser
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Anything overhead
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is one with Crom!Tannhauser is one with Crom!Tannhauser is one with Crom!Tannhauser is one with Crom!Tannhauser is one with Crom!Tannhauser is one with Crom!Tannhauser is one with Crom!Tannhauser is one with Crom!Tannhauser is one with Crom!Tannhauser is one with Crom!Tannhauser is one with Crom!

Just spotted your log - interesting and detailed.

Quote:
My brachioradialis muscle on my right side is sore... very sore. I think it's from bending the bar on the bench press. The funny thing is that I didn't even notice that it was sore until I started curling again.
The brachioradialis is quite vulnerable, so there are a number of candidates for damaging it. It's possible that it's the rows - if you're pulling explosively with a pronated grip, I can see how that would put it under some stress. Alternatively, it could be the curls.

Straight bar curls do seem to cause all sorts of problems - perhaps see what DBs feel like?

Oh, and mixed grip on deadlifts rock!

Ignoring irrelevant credentials since I was 17.
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 03:42 PM   #9
hrunting
New Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
Just spotted your log - interesting and detailed.

The brachioradialis is quite vulnerable, so there are a number of candidates for damaging it. It's possible that it's the rows - if you're pulling explosively with a pronated grip, I can see how that would put it under some stress. Alternatively, it could be the curls.

Straight bar curls do seem to cause all sorts of problems - perhaps see what DBs feel like?

Oh, and mixed grip on deadlifts rock!
Thank you very much for the input. The pain showed up on the first rep in literally years. It might have been caused by the rows, but I'm not in any pain when I do them. It may have also been caused by wrangling the infant carrier.

I am considering buying a curl bar. I will eventually buy one, but I get turned off by the completely illogical perception that they have very limited use and that curls are for Bros.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:47 PM   #10
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: the one that doesn't hurt
Fav Supp: Milk
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

nice log. keep going!

I just turned 40....things hurt for no reason then they get better for no reason.

"Do not change shit up during a training cycle." -Sandbox

Best PL total: 1020 - 350/265/405
Current total: 925 - 315/245/365
jdmalm123 is offline   Reply With Quote