Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 10-09-2014, 11:21 AM   #1
clubmanager
Brawn
Points: 1, Level: 1 Points: 1, Level: 1 Points: 1, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: HIT
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
clubmanager has made some good postsclubmanager has made some good postsclubmanager has made some good postsclubmanager has made some good postsclubmanager has made some good postsclubmanager has made some good postsclubmanager has made some good postsclubmanager has made some good postsclubmanager has made some good postsclubmanager has made some good postsclubmanager has made some good posts
Default Old fat guy starting again....

Nearly 52 and finally, for some unknown reason, got the notion that I should finally listen to my wife and start exercising again. Really, I have no idea what got into me!
Joined a local gym and started the second week of September; have been at it about 5 weeks with no goal other than to start getting in the habit of showing up and working hard.
Started at 215lbs. and no clue about body fat; I was too scared to step on the Tanita scale at home until the past couple days.
Sept5 10/9
Pec Deck. 75x6 110x12 (mainly as a warmup)
Incline Press 210x4 250x4
Pulldowns. 160x7 180x8
Deadlift 180x5 410x6 (I'm only doing 3/4 lifts, can't go that low yet)
Leg Ext. 140x10 (just as a warmup)
Leg Press 180x22 270x22 (this is not the vertical version)

Now at 210.4 and 31% BF so clearly I have a way to go in reducing fat. But all in all, I'm happy that in a short time, I've been able to get my lifts into a respectable (I think) range and not gain weight while doing so.

I took 'before' pics but they are so horrible to look at, I can't bear to put them out there on the interwebs-thingy. May do it when I have a good 'after' shot
clubmanager is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2014, 11:34 AM   #2
Sandbox
Max Brawn
Points: 2,325, Level: 29 Points: 2,325, Level: 29 Points: 2,325, Level: 29
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%

Training Exp: 30
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Dead Cow
Sandbox is a lifting machineSandbox is a lifting machineSandbox is a lifting machineSandbox is a lifting machineSandbox is a lifting machineSandbox is a lifting machineSandbox is a lifting machineSandbox is a lifting machineSandbox is a lifting machineSandbox is a lifting machineSandbox is a lifting machine

Hey clubmanager,

You many days will you rest between deads/legs?
One note- I'm not a huge fan of leg exts at our age even for warm ups. They have such a negative affect on the quad tendons.
Sandbox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 11:52 AM   #3
clubmanager
Brawn

clubmanager has made some good postsclubmanager has made some good postsclubmanager has made some good postsclubmanager has made some good postsclubmanager has made some good postsclubmanager has made some good postsclubmanager has made some good postsclubmanager has made some good postsclubmanager has made some good postsclubmanager has made some good postsclubmanager has made some good posts

Yeah, I hate those extensions and thought I was just being a pu**y.....will likely drop them. I've been taking between 3-5 days off between depending on how I feel about it. In the beginning, 3 days was fine but now I need a little more. Since I've been pretty much going to the gym everyday, I wait to see how I feel when I get there. On the 'off' days, I do some rowing, stretching, planks, etc. I'm in and out in less than 45 minutes as I don't talk with anyone and take minimal breaks. I used to lift in a shed and a garage so I prefer being alone but I don't want to buy all the equipment again. Besides, that worked great in Arkansas, not so great in Northeast Ohio!!!
Again, my first initial goal was to simply show up and I'm going as often as possible so as to eliminate the first problem with my exercising.....not even going!
Old 10-09-2014, 11:54 AM   #4
clubmanager
Brawn

Duh.....I got vertical and horizontal mixed up! I'm doing the leg press where you lie on your back, not in a chair.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:43 PM   #5
Sandbox
Max Brawn
Points: 2,325, Level: 29 Points: 2,325, Level: 29 Points: 2,325, Level: 29
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%

Training Exp: 30
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Dead Cow
Sandbox is a lifting machineSandbox is a lifting machineSandbox is a lifting machineSandbox is a lifting machineSandbox is a lifting machineSandbox is a lifting machineSandbox is a lifting machineSandbox is a lifting machineSandbox is a lifting machineSandbox is a lifting machineSandbox is a lifting machine

I like the idea of more recoperation. I spent all year on a 10 day rest-between-workout cycle. I'll more-than-likely go to 7 days after my Nov. meet. But I'm dropping my work set down to 4 reps.
Glad to see you on here posting.
Sandbox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:50 AM   #6
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubmanager View Post
Chillen.......I can't send a PM since I'm so new so am posting here instead.

Hi,
I was searching for some info on Mike Mentzers work and stumble on this forum and your posts. I'm nearly 52 and noticed you're in the same range....and your pics look amazing. I'm curious if you would share your routine, diet, etc. to have gotten so lean.

About 10 years ago, I stopped lifting and am starting again. I used Mentzers HD methods and really enjoyed greater strength and size. About a month ago, I startd lifting again and using HIT and am seeing good results. But, I let others get in my head and started a 6-day protocol that I hate so I want to go back to full body workouts every 3-4 days.
Currently, I'm 5'10" and weigh 212; approx. 30%BF. I am able to do cardio and have no health issues other than slightly high blood pressure. My last lifts were: deadlift 350, dips +35lbs x 8, shoulder press 150x6. Incline press 250, pull downs 180. All 6-10 reps. Leg press 280.

Sorry for the length and thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide. Best, John
=====

Quote:
Chillen: I apologize, I stumbled across this in the Zane-Mentzer thread. I have not posted a lot because wife is very ill (and putting focus on this primarily). She has several debilitating issues that require my main attention at times.

I will write on the various things I did, but you have to bare in mind what may have worked for me, may not work for you. I did nothing more than manipulate the basic structure of diet (Calories, Carbohydrates, Protein, Fats, etc), and at times (dependent on physical disposition, and fat level), tailor the training protocol with what I wanted from manipulating the diet. How these ingredients of manipulation work for you, can be different. In all cases, coming from different goals in my fitness path, when I got to about 10-12 percent bf, I always used a modified version of protocols as outlined in: Stubborn Fat Solution and the Ultimate Diet 2.0 (by Lyle McDonald, I mention this because I purchased these books, and they are very good in explaining physiology beyond fat loss, and it simply works if one applies the self). Lyle can be gruff, but I do not care. I care whether what he writes is quality, and it is.

I will post again, and get into more detail for you. The pics are old, but still represent who I am to this very day. One can stay lean, contrary to public beliefs, even over 50 years old, with some lifestyle modifications.

I look forward to helping you learn what will work for you, just by manipulating the basics of diet and training.

Peace,

Don
================

I think right at this very moment, you have one of the greatest attributes, that will lay the foundation of success. And, it is from your own written word: "no goal other than to start getting in the habit of showing up and working hard". If you keep this implanted in your heart, throughout the dimensions of your personal goal journey, you will be successful.

You have to understand that the "want" for your personal has to be implanted in your soul, and you have to apply "enough of you" that this allows you to work around the complications of your lifestyle and other things that come up in life. No matter how many times you fail and go back, the rules will not change. However, if you keep getting up after each failure, the rules will not matter. Know this and know this well.

I am not going to get into detail, but provide a brief "overview", and enough information, so you get an idea.

I was close to your weight (200lbs, at 5'7"), man boobs, and just plain fat. I knew nothing about fat loss or weight training, and this is key to remember. My suggestion to you (if you are currently in search of knowledge in how to earn your personal fitness goal) is to "educate the path in which you want to participate in", and make this an on-going and continuous thing, that "never stops". Do not allow lack of knowledge to hamper or assist in putting the fire out of your motivation. If you do this, when trouble comes you will have some tools at your disposal to manipulate and tailor to your personally specific circumstances.

Do not forget this, it is very important.

When I first started, the structure of training and diet were basic. I learned what my approximate maintenance line of calories were for my age, weight, height, and variable activity levels, cut this by about -500calories, and DID NOT manipulate any macros (most notably Carbohydrates), kept protein high, and fats to about 20-30 percent.

What I learned after a few months, is that a simple calorie deficit worked, for me, and I did not have to worry about Carbohydrates at this time. My body fat was high, and my body was not fighting me to much. The weight came off rather easily, with a simple calorie deficit.

And, I recommend this for you. Keep it simple, until YOUR BODY tells you different. Determine your calorie maintenance line, deduct about 500c from that, keep protein high (about 1g per lean lb of mass or so), and the rest in carbohydrates and fats, and see what happens in a few short weeks. I realize not everyone is the same, and some in similar circumstances, may have to tweak the macros some and have a calorie deficit to see some tissue loss. With me, unless information is to the contrary, we assume "basics" will work before other manipulation.

Along with this, and first starting out, at the time several years ago, I began with a simple weight training program with fundamental exercises. Being new, it was simple linear progression over time.

Flat Bench, Military Press, Bent-over-Row, LB-Curls, Laying Triceps-Extensions, for basic upper. Back Squat, Dead Lift, Calf-raises, for basic lower. 3 times per week, with 3 20-30m cardio sessions per week.

Weight came off rather fast for several months, in this very simple arrangement. I did make some simple calorie adjustments as my weight dropped and became less.

However, things changed when I dropped from about 200lbs to about 160 (for FIRST goal want), and body fat was very low, but not where I wanted it. I will not bore you with the fine details, but the bottom line is I tried different things for about 3 months (reducing calories more, increasing cardio frequency, increasing volume/frequency of training etc, etc), and none of this worked--to get rid of the last few pounds I wanted off.

It was about this time, I started to study fat tissue mobilization, glycogen depletion in the liver (and other areas), Carbohydrate manipulation, and so on. From history, and current fat loss stoppage, I determined, my body had made some metabolic changes, and though I may not have been effected by Carbohydrate consumption during the main fat loss, I may be now, and needed to make some changes. I purchases Lyle McDonald's Books (as I told you before), read them (highly recommended).

Here is the bottom line: I kept the calorie deficit at-500 from MT-Line, adjust Carbohydrates to about 60-70 or so (rest of calories in Protein and fats), incorporated depletion workouts (though adjusted over time, as I learned I did not need to be so severe in its application to get desired results), refeeds, and power workouts (5 to 8 rep ranges), while depletion arrangements were 12-15r approximately. I also did cardio 4 times per week. I took no supplements, though Lyle recommends (if one can handle it physiologically), Yohimbe--at certain levels and times, at certain BF levels.

This is only a brief synopsis. If you have questions, feel free to ask.

Peace,

Don

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by Chillen; 10-10-2014 at 09:56 AM.
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 10:06 AM   #7
clubmanager
Brawn

Don, thanks again for taking the time to help me on the path. I hope everything works out well for you and your family.
I will occasionally keep everyone apprised of progress and it's good to know that one is not alone in the quest for better health. Also good to know that the starting point, as crappy as it is, was shared as well. Cheers, Mate!
Old 10-10-2014, 10:54 AM   #8
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubmanager View Post
Don, thanks again for taking the time to help me on the path. I hope everything works out well for you and your family.
I will occasionally keep everyone apprised of progress and it's good to know that one is not alone in the quest for better health. Also good to know that the starting point, as crappy as it is, was shared as well. Cheers, Mate!
She has me by her side, and I know what will work out, will be for the best.

If you need any additional clarification let me know.

Stay rocken!

Don

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 12:22 AM   #9
kjetil1234
New Brawn
Points: 130, Level: 2 Points: 130, Level: 2 Points: 130, Level: 2
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

kjetil1234 has made some quality postskjetil1234 has made some quality postskjetil1234 has made some quality postskjetil1234 has made some quality postskjetil1234 has made some quality postskjetil1234 has made some quality posts

Good job with starting man!! Wish you the best!

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kjetil1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 01:39 PM   #10
clubmanager
Brawn

Sept 14. Oct 9. Oct 13
Pec deck. 75x6. 110x12
Incl press. 230x4. 250x4
Pulldowns 160x7. 180x8
3/4 deads 180x5. 410x6
Leg Press 180x22 270x22
Dips. 5 25x10 and 45x6
Shldr Press 120x10. 155x8
Curls. 90x6. 90x8
Pushdowns 100x4. 110x 5

October 6 weight 212.6 31.4%BF. Water% 48.2. Muscle Mass 138.6
October 17. 214.4. 29.9. 48.9. 142.8

Doing/taking nothing special but am happy with the results thus far. Working hard when I go every 4 days or so and strength is increasing along with muscle mass. Glad to see the fat come down some but really didn't expect it to; thought it would go up in fact given the crap I've eaten lately. I'm sure I'm still consuming less calories than BMR.