Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member
Default Unto us, a gym is born, aka Soldier no more

You've always known me as Soldier here at my home away from home, MAB. I joined here when I was preparing to become a soldier, and the Home gym chronicles have documented my transition into powerlifting while I've been in the service. In 3 years I've taken my total from under 1000 to 1485 while only adding 20lb of bodyweight, and went from struggling to deadlift 385 to destroying 600.

But soon I won't be Soldier anymore. I'm getting out of the Army in only a few months, then I'm heading back to Florida where I will be starting my own private personal and group training facility which will be called Ocala Performance and Strength, or OPS. I've developed a program that will be the basic template for how I will train athletes at OPS. The program will of course be modified to address individual trainee's current abilities and goals, but overall I believe I have a very solid program based on what has worked well for me over the last few years.

The program is based around block periodization made up of 3x3 week mesocycles. Each mesocycle will build on the last, starting with hypertrophy, then strength, then finishing with speed and power. After 9 weeks of training there will be a 1 week deload followed by retesting. I also have the option of repeating the strength mesocycle if it's early in the offseason and strength is more of a concern than speed.

Over the next 10 weeks I will be running the program as written, based around the equipment I will have in my gym. I'll make changes and tweaks as I go so that as soon as I sign up my first athletes I'll be 100% ready to start training them.

I'll be logging my workouts here, of course, but I'll also log my progress on my transition out of the Army and starting my gym. I've probably got around 13-17 weeks before I am out of the Army, so I have time to give the program a good run and see if it works out in practice the same way it works out in my head and on paper.

Hypertrophy phase starts tomorrow. Which also happens to be the first day of the rest of my life.

Last edited by Soldier; 10-07-2014 at 08:04 PM.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2014, 08:06 PM   #2
Henry19
Max Brawn
Points: 3,767, Level: 38 Points: 3,767, Level: 38 Points: 3,767, Level: 38
Activity: 32% Activity: 32% Activity: 32%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift/Squat
Fav Supp: Skittles
Henry19 is a master memberHenry19 is a master memberHenry19 is a master memberHenry19 is a master memberHenry19 is a master memberHenry19 is a master memberHenry19 is a master memberHenry19 is a master memberHenry19 is a master memberHenry19 is a master memberHenry19 is a master member

In for ensuing domination!
Old 10-07-2014, 08:36 PM   #3
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

This so hawt, I might be turning bi, no homo.

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:41 PM   #4
Soldier
Max Brawn

Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry19 View Post
In for ensuing domination!
Hell yeah!
Old 10-07-2014, 08:51 PM   #5
Soldier
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteDreams View Post
This so hawt, I might be turning bi, no homo.
I have that effect on people sometimes. It happens.

By the way, I never mentioned goals. For now I'm not going to be changing my weight. I plan to stay right around 250 so I can cut to 242 whenever I want if I decide to compete. Eventually I'd like to get down to 230 and compete at 220, but cutting takes too much focus and I'm going to have a lot of other things competing for my energy. I'd like to recomp a little, but it's a secondary goal at this point.

My main goal is to set myself up for bigger numbers later on. Both my deadlift and bench technique need varying degrees of work and I don't want to push to get my numbers any higher without addressing my technical issues. I'll be using mostly variations on the squat, but when it comes to bench and deadlift I'm going to stick mostly to my competition form. I need to get my form so tight that it's second nature. That way I'll know I can trust my technique when it comes time to push myself again. Based on my performance last time I maxed out there's no reason I can't continue to see massive gains in my lifts. I'll need to add about 250lb to my total to qualify as elite, which is definitely something I'd like to do within probably the next 2 years.

Last edited by Soldier; 10-07-2014 at 08:54 PM.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:29 PM   #6
Soldier
Max Brawn

Day 1. I've got a lot to figure out when it comes to doing what I want to do with the limited equipment I'll have. I don't use much most of the time, but when it comes to hypertrophy training I'm actually a pretty big fan of machines, and taking my muscles to exhaustion without machines is actually tougher than I had originally thought. I'm also still more beat up from my mock meet Saturday than I thought as well. I bruised or strained something in my hand during deadlifts that made it essentially impossible to do bench with a normal full grip. Instead I had to temporarily switch to a suicide grip. It's workable, but certainly not preferable.

I'm going to need to really back off on the weights for the hypertrohpy phase, especially if it comes immediatley after a strength phase like it is for me right now. My conditioning is non-existent from peaking but I'm also too torn up to work with heavier weights.

So I'm going to commit a cardinal sin and take a cue from the bro bodybuilder playbook. I'm going to use partial squats as my main squat variation for the next 3 weeks. The weights will be light and the goal will be to push my quads hard without tiring out my lower back.

That being said, here's what I did today;

Partial pin squats with average bands-
45x a bunch
135x a bunch
225x5
315x3
365x3
315x3
315x3
225x a bunch

The pin squats just used too much posterior chain and I only got my quads really involved when I lowered the weight back down to 225. I really need to give my quads some quality time, so I'm going to check my ego and keep things light next time.

Bench (goal- work up to a fairly heavy 5)
45x a bunch
95x a bunch
135x a bunch
185x8
225x5

The weights moved fast but 225 felt like a millions pounds. Me chest just wasn't ready to go much today and the suicide grip certainly wasn't helping.

Leg extension/curl superset with bands-
2 sets of each to pump

I love using bands for upper body isolation work. Unfortunately they don't seem to work as well for leg isolation, even with my cool new 3 point foot harnesses to help hook the bands to my feet. I think I'm going to switch to band assisted sissy squats for quads and see how that works. I believe in the power of high-rep extensions and curls to build conditioning and size, so I'm going to need to figure out how to do them without having to invest a lot of money I don't have on a leg extension or curl machine.

Next time I'll just try using lighter bands and see if that helps with the curls. I did some sissy squats today after I did the extensions with bands and I found they worked very well to get the quads pumped up as long as I didn't try to take them too deep. I think they'll work out well.

Abs, leg raises with a reverse crunch-
2 sets to pump

I'm going to spend a lot of time messing with this concept of working "to a pump". It makes good sense for hypertrohpy work because it helps you focus more on how the muscle feels instead of just doing the exercise. I'm not one of these guys who tosses out traditional bodybuilding ideas just because I'm going to train athletes. Being able to control, feel, and activate specific muscles is worthwhile for anyone who wants to develop their athleticism, and I believe this is especially true for young people.

More to come...
Old 10-09-2014, 01:59 PM   #7
Soldier
Max Brawn

Hand is starting to feel better. At first I couldn't use my left hand to open soda bottles or things like that, but I can now. Hopefully this time next week it won't be a problem anymore. Legs are pretty sore, which is good. Looking forward to doing a little light deadlifting and pressing tomorrow.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:34 AM   #8
Soldier
Max Brawn

Hypertrophy training is hard. Like, really hard. It's been way too long since I've done some good ol' bodybuilding and it feels good, but it's really...well, you know.

Pendlay rows with straps-
45x a bunch
95x a bunch
135x a bunch
185x10
185x15
185x15

Seated OHP-
45x a bunch
95x10
135x10
185x10
185x8
135x15

Crazy pump on these. Actually painful.

Spotted pullups with straps-
BWx12
BWx12
BWx10

I used the smith machine bar and put a plyo box behind me to put my feet on.

Barbell curls-
45x20
65x15
65x15
65x20-something

Sit ups on ab bench-
BWx15
BWx18
Old 10-12-2014, 12:15 PM   #9
Soldier
Max Brawn

Finally starting to nail down my hypertrophy routine. It looks like the way to go is the leave off rep counts in the program and instead just take the set as far as I need to take it. The question will be how I need to coach that concept some other people will get it, but I actually don't think it'll be hard.

I wasn't planning to go heavy on squats today, but my squat strength is still solid and anything under 315 was pretty useless to be honest, as my conditioning would give out before my muscles did.

Squat-
45x3
135x3
225x3
Add belt-
315x8
365x6
405x4

Partial squat finisher-
365x a bunch

Bench-
45x a bunch
135x a bunch
185x about 8
185x about 8
185x about 8
185x3
185x3

Leg curls-
35x a bunch
50x a bunch
65x a bunch
65x a bunch

Sissy squats-
BWx a bunch
BWx a bunch
BWx a bunch

After all that I just did some partial bodyweight jump squats to really finish my quads and get the pump going.

I like sissy squats. I find I can change how low I go and how much I lean back to really get a big pump in the quads. I like the freedom I get to move different ways and see how my quads respond.

I'm going 100% on how I feel during each set. With heavy compound lifts I'm continuing the set until the bar starts to slow down and the reps get harder than the first few. When that happens, I rack it. With lighter isolation work I'm still keeping it shy of failure but I'm focusing on feeling the muscle work and getting the pump going by squeezing hard on the contraction. The combination is working very well and I think it's something I can coach.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:30 AM   #10
ravimolasaria
Max Brawn
Points: 27,548, Level: 98 Points: 27,548, Level: 98 Points: 27,548, Level: 98
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Training Exp: 10
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Whatever makes me strong
ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!

In for some new goals and plans buddy ... You plan looks good ... Will see how you feel it about in real world ... Already started dominating wts. ... keep smashing brother ...

Only if you had left a link in your old log ... it will be somewhat easier ...