Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

So it looks like my knee is getting worse. I've had knee and shoulder issues ever since my 7 years of football as a teen. It comes and goes, and in my left knee when it comes it gets really, really bad. The entire joint feels unstable. The tendons that connect to the hamstring in the back of the knee are ALWAYS tight and if I try to fully contract my quad and straighten my knee it causes considerable pain. The only way to keep it loose is to use the leg and keep it moving, so use it is what I did.

I hit the gym today and did some accessory work. I also got some bike time in. I did lots of prehab type stuff for my shoulders like face pulls, light lateral raises, and some rotator cuff work. I also did a little ab work as well.

I did 2x10 minute rounds on the bike. The first time I started at level 7, then moved to level 8, then in the second round I took it to 10 for all 10 minutes. 10 was finally the breaking point and I wasn't able to keep going as fast as possible. My legs just burned too much and I had to back off on the speed. That being said I actually went further in the second round, which was a surprise. Both times I was able to go 2.7-2.9 miles in 10 minutes, which puts me right on track to be able to pass my PT test. That is, if the resistance on the bike I have to use for the PT test isn't harder than what I've been working with.

I'm going to do a full session again tomorrow, but I'm going to push the volume up and keep the weights a little lighter than yesterday. I don't want to burn myself out so early in the cycle.
Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2014, 10:01 AM   #22
Soldier
Max Brawn

Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Yesterday I said I planned to back off today, but then I woke up this morning, got out of bed, and like a miracle from Miracle Max himself, I was able to walk without a limp! My knee doesn't feel 100%, but it feels miles better than yesterday. That's good, because I was a bit worried that my bike sessions might interfere with my knee.

Not only that, but I feel fantastic. My body seems to have already aclimated well to the high volume and frequency I've been doing. No soreness, and I definitely don't feel like I set 2 PRs only 2 days ago.

I'm going to be limited in my training for the next 5 days because my wife is going out of town to a convention. That means I'll be alone with my daughter. I might try to train at home, but she's only 2 and still doesn't really "get" that when daddy's training she needs to leave me alone. This is not that big of a deal, of course, seeing as I feel great today. I'll hit the gym in about an hour and give myself a good thrashing so there shouldn't be any deconditioning while it's just me and my girl.

This will be my wife's first time away from my daughter for more than 1 night. She's excited about getting some time alone, but nervous about it, which makes sense because I'm just kind of figuring this parent thing out as I go, lol.

Last edited by Soldier; 06-17-2014 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:31 PM   #23
Soldier
Max Brawn

Gym time. I ended up inviting a co-worker to the gym with me. He was interested in seeing what I do. I switched things up a little and decided to do box squats to take some of the pressure off my knee. I also went with wraps and belt, again to take pressure off the knee. I haven't gone heavy on these before. Normally I only use them for speed work, so this was a fun test to see where I am.

Box squats-
45x5
135x3
225x3
275x3
Add belt and light wraps (wraps were progressively tighter with each set)-
315x3
365x3
385x3

I could have done 405 but I decided not to push it.

Pin squats-
225x5
225x5
225x5

Pins were set about 5in above parallel. These were done explosively.

Bench-
45x a bunch
135x5
185x5
205x5
225x5
Add bench daddy-
275x2
295x2

I was having trouble getting into a good setup with the bench daddy on. I couldn't get my shoulder blades pulled together enough so the result was that my shoulders took the brunt of the pressure at the bottom. Not good. I'll have to keep working on it. Bench didn't feel quite as solid today as it did Sunday, but I'm not as fresh today.

This wasn't an intense session, but I don't normally train with other people and that slowed things down a bit. That's ok, it's fun to train with someone else sometimes, and he was able to do a hand off for the sets with the bench daddy which was a good change.

Again, I'm not sure if or how much I'll be able to train this weekend. I'll just have to see how it goes and how my daughter is doing and go from there.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:33 PM   #24
Soldier
Max Brawn

My wife flew out today. She'll be back Sunday afternoon, but until then it's going to be just me and my little girl. I'm looking forward to lots of quality time, but I'm still not sure if I'll get to train much or at all. We are taking advantage of the time my wife will be gone to transition my daughter into being able to fall and stay asleep on her own. She's always liked physical contact, but we have to break her of that before my son comes in September.

I had to put a gate around her bed to physically keep her on the bed. She was not pleased, but eventually she did fall asleep. Hopefully over the next few days she'll get used to it so she won't freak out too much once mommy comes home Sunday.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:08 PM   #25
Soldier
Max Brawn

I took my daughter to the playground late this morning. We had a great time and I succeeded in wearing her out. On the way home she passed out, then I got her to take a nap once we were home. This meant I had some time to get out to the garage and train. Unfortunately I had to rush out there so I wasn't able to really prepare myself mentally to train hard. The weights felt heavy so I kept everything fairly light and just got some good work in.

Box squat-
45x5
135x5
225x3
225x3
225x3
225x3
225x3

Bench-
45x8
135x5
185x3
205x3
205x5
205x5
205x5
205x5

And that was it. The garage was hot and I was in a hurry, and I also couldn't do any rowing or pulling because of the noise. But at least I got a little training in. It's better than nothing.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:20 PM   #26
Soldier
Max Brawn

The combination of 2 days rest and box squatting in my last 2 sessions last week has my knee feeling a bit better now. It's definitely not 100% though. When I try to flex the quad and straighten my knee it just won't quite straighten all the way. It also won't bend nearly as far as my good knee. Obviously this isn't good, but I'm just going to go with it for now and hope the knee holds up. I'll have to pay attention to how it reacts as the volume cranks up, then back down on the way into the competition. When the intensity starts to climb it might start to feel better because there will be less volume.

I'm going to push my schedule up a couple weeks and start sheiko 37 this week. I've been doing well with all the volume in the last couple weeks but I'm falling back into my habit of changing things. It's good to modify things when needed, but I don't want to get into that habit if I don't have to. It just makes things too unpredictable, I think.

Tomorrow I have to drive to Austin to pick up my wife, then hopefully I'll get to train after we get home. Can't wait to get the Sheiko going again.

Last edited by Soldier; 06-21-2014 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:37 PM   #27
Soldier
Max Brawn

Mixed bag today in the gym. I had to train in the garage again because I had to pick up my wife from the airport and that kept me busy to late to train in one of the gyms on post. Bench felt pretty good, but the second I tried to squat the day started to fall apart. A week ago I squatted 365 for 5 reps, but today every time I tried to free squat ANYTHING it felt like my groin was going to tear apart. It normally feels that way at first, but I always loosen up a couple sets in. Today no matter what I did my hips wouldn't loosen up, and the weight felt like a million pounds on my back. Since I couldn't rebound out of the hole I had to muscle it up. 225 felt like a max weight. Not good.

I ended up giving up and going with box squats, and even used chains to take the strain off the bottom of the lift. 255+chains took every bit of my strength and energy to get 5x5 with, and that's not good. Not at all.

Today I started Sheiko 37. Hopefully In my next session when I'm back in a real gym I'll feel better. It's way too far out from the meet for me to completely pull out free squats. That will cost me in hip strength and activation, I think.

I experimented with my grip width on bench today and actually found that I was more explosive when I pulled my hands in a little. I think it's just because I've been training that way since the more narrow grip takes the strain off my shoulder. For now I'll train with whatever grip feels best raw, then as I bring in gear I'll adjust to it.

Bench with chains-
45x a bunch
135x5
155+30x5
195+30x4
205+30x3
205+30x3
205+30x3
205+30x3
205+30x3

Squat-
45x3
135x3
135x3
225x3

At this point I gave up on free squats. The pain was too much and my form was way off from my tight hips.

Box squats with chains-
225+30x5
255+30x5
255+30x5
255+30x5
255+30x5
255+30x5

I was completely gassed after every single set with 255. As in, bent over catching my breath for minutes tired. That's bullshit. I'm not supposed to struggle with 255 freaking pounds. There are a lot of little things that might have effected my squatting strength, including the fact that I spent the 4 hours before I trained sitting in a car. But none of them really explains feeling this weak. I normally spend my days sitting in a chair at work and I can still fucking squat.

At this point it was back to bench to finish the day. I was just happy to be done with squats.

Bench-
135x8
155x6
185x6
185x6
185x6
185x6

The 6th reps on the last 2 sets were not easy, but bench still felt good, even the second time I did it. Thank god, because I wanted to go cry after my squat performance today. Hopefully the narrow grip I'm using on bench will help strengthen my triceps which will manifest itself in increased strength with my shirt on. Time will tell.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:56 PM   #28
Soldier
Max Brawn

Cardio/accesory work today. Not much to do in the way of accesories, so I just hit my shoulders with some low impact stuff to make sure those muscles don't get neglected in this specialized program.

I started with :25 on the bike with the resistance set to 11, then upped to 12 for the last mile. I went 6.3 miles. The reason for this is that the PT test I have to take is 6.2 miles, and I have to do it in 25 minutes. Today I did 6.3 in around 22 minutes, so I should be good to go unless the resistance of the bike they use for the test is higher then what I'm using. My plan is to continue to do just over 6 miles and keep upping the resistance of the bike until I can't do the distance in :25. At that point I'll keep using that same resistance until I can get it below the time. Progression FTW, it's not just for weights kids.

After that I did some shoulder stuff. There was a hybrid lateral raise/rotator cuff raise/front raise bastard of a movement along with some cheating front raises (which involve swinging the weights at the bottom to avoid putting direct strain on the front delt). I got a good pump through the whole shoulder, then called it a day.

Deadlifts and bench tomorrow, then Thursday it'll be squats and bench again. I'll try to free squat again and if my hips don't want to comply I'm going to have to start looking into mobility stuff to get them loosened up.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:25 PM   #29
jiorio95
Max Brawn
Points: 6,215, Level: 51 Points: 6,215, Level: 51 Points: 6,215, Level: 51
Activity: 41% Activity: 41% Activity: 41%

Fav Exercise: Squat
jiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master member

Hope to see the squats turn around for you shortly here. Personally, whenever I squat outside of my daily routine I get all sorts of messed up. I'm a creature of habit I guess.
jiorio95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:18 PM   #30
Soldier
Max Brawn

This morning I woke up and immediately noticed how tight my hamstrings are. It's really crazy, and it seems like it's the result of my shift towards box squatting compared to my normal free squatting. It feels like my hamstrings are pumped up from the knee up to my ass. At PT this morning I did a bunch of stretching. That seemed to help some.

Today was deadlift day. My first deadlift day on Sheiko 37. It wasn't an easy day, but it wasn't hard either and I was in and out of the gym in a little over an hour.

Deadlift-
135x5
135x3
225x3
315x3
365x3
385x3
385x3
385x3
385x3

Incline DB press-
25x12
40x8
55x5
70x5
80x3
80x3
80x3
80x5

Deadlift from boxes-
315x3
365x3
415x3
415x3
415x3
415x3

All the sets of DL were done tng. My tight posterior chain made me very uncomfortable and I think it forced me to get a little too bent over, but then again I've never been very good at DLs from boxes. I feel like it forces me to start with my knees too straight and puts a ton of strain on the lower back.

In between the last few sets of DLs I did some slow free squats just to see how my hips would react. I was able to hit depth fine, so hopefully come Thursday I'll be able to free squat again. Hopefully. This was a good day though. I didn't feel very strong on DL, but I didn't feel weak either and 6 weeks out of a AAS cycle it's good to still feel pretty strong. I was also happy with my performance on the incline presses. 80s moved well.