ravimolasaria
Max Brawn
Points: 27,548, Level: 98 Points: 27,548, Level: 98 Points: 27,548, Level: 98
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Training Exp: 10
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Whatever makes me strong
ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitarpyar View Post
Bench bar x 20 115 x 5 145 x 3 175 x 2 195 x 1 215 x 1 (PR) 185 x 3 sets x 3

Deadlifts 135 x 5 225 x 3 275 x 1 315 x 1 345 x 1 375 x FAIL
375 x FAIL 365 x 1

Rack Pulls 315 x 2 365 x 1 405 x 3 455 x 1
Front Squat 135 x 5 165 x 3 185 x 1 205 x 3 singles
Grinder or not a PR is a PR no matter what. If PRs comes that easy then all of us will be doing it ... Congrats on that ... And if you can rack pull 455 lbs, I don't see why you can't deadlift 375. May be it is just a matter of time. Try it when you are fresh in gym.

And yes I do hope you DO KEEP LIFTING of course after settling down and take your own time ... ...Keep up the great work brother ...
Old 07-24-2014, 02:13 AM   #532
kitarpyar
Max Brawn
Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

Thanks Ravi.

The rack pulls were pretty high, hence relatively easy. So the lower back didn't really affect it much. I think a weak lower back and hips are hurting the deadlift especially off the floor. Also, on the lifts I failed and even the 365 x 1, I observed a tendency to fall forward. I think its a form issue. At lower weights, I am able to power through for multiple reps, simply using upper back strength. As the weights increase, the form flaws are evident.

Its primarily because of this I am not going to try the deadlift max immediately. I think it will be worthwhile to reduce weight, fix the form and then take it from there.
kitarpyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:20 AM   #533
kitarpyar
Max Brawn

kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member
Default Lessons learnt - I: training

As this phase of workouts draws to an end, it is a good time to reflect a little bit and then look forward. I learnt a few lessons – both, from my own workouts and reading what other lifters had to say. Simply put, here’s what I learnt, from my own experience –

Training
  • Spend more time on strength building, rather than strength testing. Strength building requires rep work – whether that is less sets x more reps or more sets x low reps. There’s definitely some carry over from high rep training to low reps and vice-versa.
  • Equations for estimating 1RM are cool, and have their place. In most cases, however, they over-estimate my 1RM. May be, I am simply better at rep work than 1RM; or maybe I didn’t spend enough time with low reps to be proficient with them. Probably, it is a combination of both.
  • Low reps are a little more fun, but high reps seem to be easier on the body (less stress on joints, connective tissues, easier recovery, etc.). Nonetheless, some higher rep work definitely helps build muscle and strength.
  • Small steps (progression) ensure longer progress.
  • Deloads help.
  • Compounds are good for getting stronger (and overall, bigger). But direct work (almost in a bodybuilding sense) for specific muscles help. This, in fact, can be chosen to address the weak links on the big compounds.
  • HIIT cardio is awesome, as long as I am not in a big deficit. I would rather use LISS while dieting down significantly. Also, for safer sprinting, I need to work on my hamstrings more.
  • The H/L/M approach provided a good way of cycling calories so that I was eating a minor surplus on heavy/medium days AND staying in a slight deficit overall during the week. It is a nice sustainable approach for slow long term fat loss (0.5-1lbs per week, more 0.5 than 1).
  • Avoid missing lifts – provides a psychological boost.
  • Start low, progress longer.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:21 AM   #534
kitarpyar
Max Brawn

Default Lessons learnt - II: nutrition

Nutrition
  • I also did some calorie tracking, and there are a few things I need to note down regarding nutrition. I don’t need a huge amount of protein to maintain muscle mass. 1 gm/lb of lean body mass is enough. For me, this equates to 150-160gms. However, losing weight seems a shade easier if the protein is increased at the expense of carbs.
  • Low fats (less than 50gms) definitely don’t help. 70-90 gms seems optimal for me.
  • Low carbs (less than 125 gms per day) doesn’t cut it for me. In fact 250+ gms of carbs help with heavy workouts. Eating a few desserts each week is fair game. Just avoid them a couple of hours before workouts (did this a couple of time – invariably, I had an energy crash).
  • There is a super supplement – it is called coffee
  • There is another great supplement, especially while training down – creatine
  • Fish oil is pretty good too. Whey protein is good if I want to up my protein intake close to 200 gms/day. Otherwise meat, milk, egg, tofu, beans etc are good enough.
  • In short, for most part, moderation is my friend, with the protein and carbs being a little higher than the average.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:22 AM   #535
ravimolasaria
Max Brawn
Points: 27,548, Level: 98 Points: 27,548, Level: 98 Points: 27,548, Level: 98
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Training Exp: 10
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Whatever makes me strong
ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitarpyar View Post
fix the form
This should be the top most priority no matter how much wt. you are lifting. Whether you are lifting 50 lbs or 500 lbs, if your form and technique is not correct, you won't be able to progress beyond a certain level. Keep rocking ...
Old 07-24-2014, 02:24 AM   #536
kitarpyar
Max Brawn

Default Lessons learnt - III: thoughts on specific lifts

• Cleans: Move from powercleans to full squat cleans, slowly. Eventually, I would like to get into doing proper clean and jerks. Issues: (1) lacking in speed while moving to the rack portion of the lift and (2) not “pulling” myself under the bar and staying too upright. Assistance: High pulls, front squats.
  • Overhead Press: This is my strongest (and favorite) lift. The more I press, the better I get at it. So I will look to train the OHP at least 2x a week, if not 3x. Issues: unable to engage, the traps, lats and teres effectively enough. Too much dependent on the deltoids and triceps. I also need to “brace” myself and tighten my core better. Weak points – Teres major, core. Assistance: Pull ups, pull downs, rear delt flyes.
  • Bench Press: My worst (and least favorite) lift. Will definitely use Steve’s rep goal system and bench cure with 135 lbs for this one. Issues: I don’t seem to feel much of the pectorals while benching. Most of the problems are also at the bottom of the lift. Locking out is usually no problem. Weak points – Pectorals, core. Assistance: DB work, pushups and cable crossovers. Dips wreck my shoulders, so I am going to avoid dips.
  • Squat: This lift really started getting stronger once I switched to low bar version. High bar feels better for the lower back and wrists, but the low bar seems better suited for heavy loads. I will be rotating high bar and low bar squats. Issues: Low bar squats are damn uncomfortable for the wrists. Perhaps working on shoulder mobility will help rotate them sufficiently and get the wrists in a better position. Weak points: Core, lower back, hips, hamstrings. The tipping forward tendency is not there – so I think the upper back is doing okay. Assistance: Leg curls, Good mornings.
  • Deadlift: Recovery time seems to be the longest for deadlifts. Hence, the frequency will be low 1x week or even once in 10 days. Issues: “tipping forward”, which, I think results from a failure to get into a good position and push through heels. Weak points: Core, lower back, hips, hamstrings. Assistance: Deficit deadlifts and sumo pulls; weighted back extensions; Bentover barbell / dumbbell rows on non-deadlift days.
  • The bodybuilding angle: some additional lifts for fun/physique building would include – wide grip BTN press (Reeves/Klokov), JM Press and pushdowns (triceps), EZ curl and hammer curl (biceps), seated calf raises
Old 07-24-2014, 02:25 AM   #537
kitarpyar
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravimolasaria View Post
This should be the top most priority no matter how much wt. you are lifting. Whether you are lifting 50 lbs or 500 lbs, if your form and technique is not correct, you won't be able to progress beyond a certain level. Keep rocking ...
Agreed !!
Old 07-24-2014, 02:26 AM   #538
kitarpyar
Max Brawn

Default Lessons learnt - IV: Aspects of (future) programming

• Rep work will account for at least 50% of the training, if not more. Getting strong in terms of 1RM is great, but I would like to get stronger at higher reps as well.
  • After sufficient amount of the rep work phase, slowly move down the rep range from fives to doubles using H/L/M approach.
  • Try at least 2 weeks of sub-maximal singles before maxing out.
  • Deload every fourth week for the rep range phase (I seem to have an easier time recovering from rep work) and every third week while using low reps (five or less).
  • Weights will be increased by the smallest possible increments once the rep goal is met.
  • Aim to get stronger not only on singles, but also on tens, eights, sixes, fives and so on.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:35 PM   #539
kitarpyar
Max Brawn

Cardio - L.I.S.S. 40 min
Old 07-24-2014, 07:59 PM   #540
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Enjoyed reading your thoughts

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is online now   Reply With Quote