Fergus
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,485, Level: 21 Points: 1,485, Level: 21 Points: 1,485, Level: 21
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 2 years.
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Steak
Fergus is a consistent contributorFergus is a consistent contributorFergus is a consistent contributorFergus is a consistent contributorFergus is a consistent contributorFergus is a consistent contributorFergus is a consistent contributorFergus is a consistent contributorFergus is a consistent contributorFergus is a consistent contributorFergus is a consistent contributor
Default Fergs Training Log

Well, been a rugby player since I was 5, now 21. I've been dabbling in weights on and off for a couple of years, and only last year set up a sort of home gym. Bench, squat stands, home-made spotter, Olympic bar up to 200ish kg, dumbbells, dipping belt, pull up and punching bag mount.
I decided I want to transition from rugby to powerlifting.
I've been doing stronglifts as I like the squating volume which may be a bit naive but its working fine at the moment. Squating 105kg 5x5, Bench 72.5kg 5x5, Deadlift 135kg x5, Press 50kg 5x5, Clean 47.5 5x5.
Numbers havent stalled yet on anything. Into the 8th week this week and still going strong. Also got my gf doing it with me so I have a training partner!!
Shes at Squat 47.5kg 5x5, Bench 25kg 5x5, Deadlift 45 x5, Press 22.5kg 5x5, Row 27.5kg 5x5. Shes had a couple of stalls but still going well to.
Thinking of doing Smolov squats come the end of my rugby season in March when I can really burn out my legs.
Any advice, tips, or criticism all welcome on my road to becoming a powerlifter!!

Last edited by BendtheBar; 01-13-2014 at 03:34 PM.
Fergus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2013, 06:57 PM   #2
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

Give it hell team.

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:29 PM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Good luck smashing your goals. Will be following along.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:39 AM   #4
Fergus
Uber Brawn

Fergus is a consistent contributorFergus is a consistent contributorFergus is a consistent contributorFergus is a consistent contributorFergus is a consistent contributorFergus is a consistent contributorFergus is a consistent contributorFergus is a consistent contributorFergus is a consistent contributorFergus is a consistent contributorFergus is a consistent contributor

Went to gym in Roscommon last Thursday. Busy day.
Squat 105kg 5x5, Bench 70kg 5x5, Clean 50kg 5x3.
No dipping belt so just bodyweight dips and rusian twists.
Things slowing down last few days but back on form today.
Hoping to hit 107.5kg squatting, 50kg overhead press, and deadlift 140kg today!!
Old 12-23-2013, 09:17 PM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
Went to gym in Roscommon last Thursday. Busy day.
Squat 105kg 5x5, Bench 70kg 5x5, Clean 50kg 5x3.
No dipping belt so just bodyweight dips and rusian twists.
Things slowing down last few days but back on form today.
Hoping to hit 107.5kg squatting, 50kg overhead press, and deadlift 140kg today!!
Good luck. Go get it.

Old 12-24-2013, 01:52 PM   #6
Fergus
Uber Brawn

Girlfriend has gone back to Poland for Christmas so working out alone for the next while.
Squat 110kg 5x5, Bench 75kg 5x5, Power Clean 52.5kg 5x3. Dips and Negative dragon flags.
Went very good today.
Will post pics of my home gym when I can!!
Old 12-25-2013, 12:16 PM   #7
HumanHorrorFilm
Wolfman of Ironsport
Max Brawn
Points: 8,049, Level: 60 Points: 8,049, Level: 60 Points: 8,049, Level: 60
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

HumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beast

Good to see you into PL'n!

I will say one thing, I'd hold off on Smolov. With your squat numbers, you'd be better served to follow something linear or something like 5/3/1 and exhaust the hell out of it. I made the mistake of doing smolov for Front Squats once.......yeah, hahaha. Whole nother story.
"Before the Beginning, after the great war between Heaven and Hell, God created the Earth and gave dominion over it to the crafty ape he called Man. And to each generation was born a Creature of Light and a Creature of Darkness... and great armies clashed by night in the ancient war between good and evil. There was magic then. Nobility. And unimaginable cruelty. And so it was until the day that a false sun exploded over Trinity, and man forever traded away wonder for reason."

Reigning Undisputed MAB Beard Champion

HumanHorrorFilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 03:38 PM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
Will post pics of my home gym when I can!!
Looking forward to it. Love to gawk at other home setups.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:49 AM   #9
Fergus
Uber Brawn

Taking this week as my deload week. 9th week back doing weights after a long lay off.
Hitting it hard New Years in Poland!!
Also think im going to just invest in a new bench.
I think I might go onto 5/3/1 after I dry up on 5x5 and leave smolov untill I really need it!
Old 12-26-2013, 10:51 AM   #10
Fergus
Uber Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanHorrorFilm View Post
Good to see you into PL'n!

I will say one thing, I'd hold off on Smolov. With your squat numbers, you'd be better served to follow something linear or something like 5/3/1 and exhaust the hell out of it. I made the mistake of doing smolov for Front Squats once.......yeah, hahaha. Whole nother story.

Ya id say ill take your advice. I dont really need to use it yet.
Looking forward to 5/3/1. Duno if ill use the standard template, boring but big or strength challenge first.
What do ye think?