Team Koolaid Man
Max Brawn
Points: 3,495, Level: 36 Points: 3,495, Level: 36 Points: 3,495, Level: 36
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: since 5/15/13
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: buffet plate carry
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
TDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machine

Caution, semi-motivational rambling follows. If you don't like to read, skip to the next post for just the workout details.

I am freakin' STOKED after today's workout. I guess I have been stoked for most of the nearly 5 months that I have been in the gym. You see, I started lifting on 5/13/13. I had previous lifting experience, but never made much progress. It was pretty bad, too. I lifted for nearly two and a half solid years while I was in the Marine Corps and never broke a 200lb bench press. I was such a wus that I didn't even do squats regularly. Every now and then I would throw on some weight and do 1/4 or 1/2 squats thinking I was "killing it", lol. I finally gave up on ever being able to make progress in the gym. I believed I was a "hardgainer" (popular term at the time, don't know if it still is) even though I have never been "skinny". I quit training in 1998, thinking that it wasn't just in my genetics to be "gym" strong. I was always stronger than my friends at real world strength stuff, but just couldn't pick up strength in the gym.

I decided earlier this year, at a weight of 393lbs, that I would start back to the gym in order to try and improve my heart health. I would like to live long enough to at least see my three children graduate high school. I was determined, but not like you may think. I was determined to hit the gym every time I was supposed to and do the workout I was supposed to do. I had NO expectations of picking up any strength due to my pathetic history of no progress.

I just couldn't figure it out, though. Most of the "big guys" like me could easily gain strength in the gym. Not me! What was up with that. I did A LOT of research before hitting the gym this time to try and figure out what my problem(s) was/were. Considering my progress in only 5 months, I think something I changed has worked. (I did a lot of things different this time) To go over what I changed would take another book and this post is about my "motivational epiphany" today, so I won't cover that here. I have told the preceding "mini-novel" in order to give a history of where I was previously. On to what got me riled up today in the first place.

In the short time I have been back in the gym, I have made, compared to my previous foray into lifting, phenomenal progress(405lb "real" squat and a 305lb bench press). That progress has kept me motivated and actually excited to get to the gym. I have gone from an attitude along the lines of "I sure hope I can do this" to the old Nike saying of "Just do it". A couple of weeks ago I got a 405 squat (very unexpected). I had ended the previous week's leg workout with a "gingerly" set of 315x5. After making a 405 squat I now do 5 sets at 315 and just pop it, lock it, and drop it like it's hot, lol. I don't believe I am much, if any, stronger than I was a couple of weeks ago. I think it is all in the mind. Knowing that I could squat 405 just seemed to make my worries of being crushed by 315 kinda sissified.

Skip to today. I promise I'm getting down to it. Really. I have been sick as a dog all week. I skipped my back workout AND my shoulder workout. I wasn't going to skip my leg workout because well, you know. I wasn't motivated. I didn't want to go. I finally dragged my fat butt into the gym. I planned to do a real light day. You know, just enough to break a sweat and keep myself from being so sore when I came back healthy next week. I popped in my workout cd and, when the music started playing, I just started getting a little hyped. I decided that I would try to do the same workout I did last week (my heaviest so far), and just stop when I ran out of juice. I didn't expect to even make it to my work sets of 315.

I started my warmups. 135lbs for the first one. Looking back through my logs, this was my "heavy" set when I started. Then 185. Then 225 and 275. A few months ago I was tickled when I squatted 225 for 3 reps and, a little more recently, I had to go hunting for 2 or 3 spotters the first time I attempted 275 because I was afraid I was going to collapse like an accordion when I tried to squat it. Now these are my warmup sets. Freaking warmup sets! I can bring them up fast enough to rattle the plates, man! As I was sitting there, resting, thinking about this I just couldn't help myself. I got STOKED. I couldn't even sit still. I almost felt like running laps around the outside of the gym (notice I said ALMOST, I am not now, nor have I ever been, a runner). I decided that I was going to go for it. I was in a power rack so, if I dropped it, I would be alright. (I am usually in the gym alone on leg day, the "gym rats" can't seem to find the gym between Thursday and Sunday). So, after whining, feeling sorry for myself and really not wanting to go to the gym, I made it in there and matched my best leg workout to date. But the better take-away from today was the extra motivation I picked up from putting my "warmup sets" into perspective. Even though I am sick, I am still jacked just from the thought of where I was (way back when, and just a few short months ago) and where I am now. No, not just where I am now, but where I could be in another 5 months. Or another year. Or in... Just do it!

P.S.- I have added a link to my last set today. I know it is small weight to many here, but I am proud of this one considering how I thought the day was going to go. They were below parallel, but don't look like it on the video. I think this is because I put the camera on the floor. Who knows? I am still proud of this one. I ended up doing an extra rep because I lost count. Yay me! Thanks to anyone who read this far. I know it was kinda rambling, but I was excited and had to put it somewhere. I figured my own training log would be acceptable, lol.

Last edited by TDawg75; 09-28-2013 at 04:21 PM. Reason: add video link
TDawg75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2013, 03:29 PM   #12
TDawg75
Team Koolaid Man
Max Brawn

TDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machine

9/28/13Leg day-been sick all week and didn't expect to get a very good workout, but it turned out well.

Squats
Warmups
135x10
185x5
225x5
275x5

Work sets
315x5,5,5,5,6 -next week I'm going for 10 on at least one of these sets.

Hip sled
420x12
510x10
600x8
690x6
780x4
870x2- for good measure!

I didn't do the leg curls that I added in last week. When I do squats and the hip sled, I can feel it real good in my hamstrings, so I am gonna leave out the leg curls for now.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:52 PM   #13
TDawg75
Team Koolaid Man
Max Brawn

Today was supposed to be chest/triceps day, but work turned into a 14hr day. I could have still made it to the gym, but it would have cut into my sleep time. I am extremely sensitive to missing sleep, so I will hit it tomorrow. Assuming tomorrow doesn't turn into a 14hr day as well.

Gym pr's- bench 330, DL 405, squat 450
Meet pr's- bench 350, dl 425, squat tbd
My new training log- http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17510
Old 10-01-2013, 08:15 AM   #14
Carl1174
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

Nice work mate, and for your level of experience you have massive lifts... good work
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:07 AM   #15
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDawg75 View Post
Today was supposed to be chest/triceps day, but work turned into a 14hr day. I could have still made it to the gym, but it would have cut into my sleep time. I am extremely sensitive to missing sleep, so I will hit it tomorrow. Assuming tomorrow doesn't turn into a 14hr day as well.
Good luck. Hope you got some rest.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:29 PM   #16
TDawg75
Team Koolaid Man
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl1174 View Post
Nice work mate, and for your level of experience you have massive lifts... good work
Thanks! I still haven't quite figured out for sure why I have been able to make ANY progress this time, much less the amount of progress that I have been making. I really think it may be the way I am eating this time. If I had made this kind of progress previously, I would have 20 years of experience instead of just 5 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Good luck. Hope you got some rest.
Thanks, Steve! I got plenty of sleep and hit the gym today. Was my heaviest chest/triceps day to date. Workout will follow in the next post.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:01 PM   #17
TDawg75
Team Koolaid Man
Max Brawn

10/1/13

Chest/triceps day- Today was my heaviest chest/triceps day to date. I go on vacation to Tennessee next week and have already found a gym there that I can lift at for a day fee. Since I have been lifting near-max poundages for most of the 5 months that I have been in the gym, I am going to lift heavy through my vacation and take a couple of light weeks when I come back to give my body some recuperation time.

Bench press
Warmups
135x15
185x8
225x5
Work sets
255x5- I had already planned to move up to 255 for my working sets this week because I have been getting all of my sets at 250. @55 felt heavy, but it moved very steady, so I moved up another ten pounds to 265 for the rest of my sets.
265x5
265x5
265x5
265x5 (4+1)

Incline bench press Didn't do a warmup on this because I thought my flat bench presses would have warmed me up sufficiently but, after starting, I really felt like I could have benefited from a warmup on this as well. I started out lighter than last week because I had done more flat bench work this week.
205x5
215x5
225x5
225x5
225x5

Close grip bench press-Lighter than last week due to the increased bench press volume this week.
Warmup
135x12
work sets
185x5,5,5,5,5,

Cable pressdowns(with e-z bar attachment)
150x12
175x5,5,5,5

On a side note, I had hoped my oldest daughter would show an interest in powerlifting. (she is strong enough to give me some difficulty when we wrestle!) But she isn't even remotely interested. My younger daughter and son are very interested in it, though. But they are a little too young. (I think) When I am the only person in the gym (which is most of the time), I will let them come out of the children's area and hang out with me while I work out. My middle daughter went with me tonight and we goofed off on the bench press machine and pull up-assist machine. She, at 8 years old, legitimately bench pressed half of her bodyweight 5 times. No cheating! She gave a pretty good account of herself on the leg extension and assisted pull up machine as well. (she asked to do this. I actually have to keep an eye on her to make sure she doesn't sneak on the equipment when I'm not looking) There is still hope! I am going to have to do some research to see when these two can start lifting.

Last edited by TDawg75; 10-02-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:18 PM   #18
TDawg75
Team Koolaid Man
Max Brawn

I was reading the USAPL RAW Pl record thread and I figured instead of clogging up a thread with useless info, I would post my exact goals and time frame here.

I am aiming, eventually, to break at least one of the SC State Records in the USAPL in the M1 SHW class. If I read the rules correctly, I can start competing in this class in January of 2015 and have until 2020 to break the records, depending on how much they go between now and then.

I have set my sights on the M1 class because I do not think that there is any way in hell that I can become strong enough to lift HALF the records in the SHW open division before I turn 40. Them open SHW fellers is some beasts.

I am going to compete until then to get the experience under my belt. I will be attending my first pl competition in December (state championships) to watch and learn the procedures and get some questions answered. Hopefully, my first competition will be at The Battle On The Border in Charlotte, NC in March.

The records in the M1, SHW, RAW division that I am chasing are as follows: Squat-534lbs
Bench-336lbs
Deadlift-606lbs
total-1477lbs.

All these records were set by the same guy at the same meet last year. I have seven years to break at least one of them and, with any luck, I will be able to put my name up on the record board one day.

Last edited by TDawg75; 10-02-2013 at 07:19 PM. Reason: I grammar Nazi'd myself
Old 10-03-2013, 08:02 PM   #19
TDawg75
Team Koolaid Man
Max Brawn

10/3/13 Back day and my first actual deadlift workout. This workout was way too long, and that was with very few warmup sets. I think I am going to keep my deadlift set at 5 and reduce the rest of the workout to 3-4 sets per excercise. My weights and reps jump around a lot because I added in a couple of new excercises (plus the deadlifts) and am still searching for the right weights. On to the meat and taters!

Deadlifts
135x10
135x8
185x5
205x5
225x5
275x5-form went all to hell on this set. Started pulling with my arms. I knew I was pulling with my arms, but couldn't control it. Next week I will do a good warmup and settle into 5 sets of five at about 240-250. I hope me deadlifts will quickly catch up to my squats.

Pulldowns
150x25
180x12
220x8
240x5
250x8
250x5

Pendlay rowsI was going to do a simulated cable row to replace the Pendlay rows (last time I did Pendlays it felt like snap city), but I noticed the lat bar was cracked, so I did some cautious Pendlay Rows.
95x12
135x6,6,6,6

Lying cable curls-My first time trying these. I have a hard time finding anything that I can really feel in my biceps, but I felt these pretty good. I likes 'em! Should've done my DB curls first, though.
40x20
60x12
80x12
100x8
120x8

Standing DB curls
30x6
35x6
40x6
45x5
45x4

Old 10-04-2013, 05:33 AM   #20
mohiz
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,621, Level: 23 Points: 1,621, Level: 23 Points: 1,621, Level: 23
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 1 yrs
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: creatine, beta-alanine
mohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributor

You've only been training for less than half a year and benchin' 305x1 and squattin' 405x1? Goddamn! (And I mean that as a compliment) I need to get my bulk on.

***Current goals***
- Get to <10% BF
mohiz is offline   Reply With Quote