Old 09-11-2013, 02:32 PM   #1
Renton
Brawn
Points: 1,024, Level: 17 Points: 1,024, Level: 17 Points: 1,024, Level: 17
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 3 years+
Fav Exercise: front squat
Fav Supp: whey protein
Renton has made some good postsRenton has made some good postsRenton has made some good postsRenton has made some good postsRenton has made some good postsRenton has made some good postsRenton has made some good postsRenton has made some good posts
Default Rentons Log

So it was recommended for me to start a training log which I've never really done. I've been weight training for the last 2to3 years and for most of that have stuck to the once a week per body part training as I thought that was best. I made good gains the first while but they have pretty much stopped the last year so I've changed my approach and now do a 4 day split divided between upper/lower days.
I try to focus mainly on compound movements as my goal is to gain muscle mass and strength. So my leg day usually is this:
Back squat:
2 sets 10 reps@130lbs
2X3-5@182
Trap bar deadlift
2X4-6@230
then I usually try to do a few reps close to 300, my max is 320.
Leg press
2X15-20@540

Upper Day is split between pushing and pulling days

Pushing day:
flat bench
1X10@132
2X5-10@182
1x3@200
Incline bench
3X10@132
My gym has a iso lateral decline bench machine which i use about once a week. I usually do 3 sets of between 5to10 reps @270
Overhead press
2X8-12@92
1X3-6@110
Lat raises
3X8-12@20lb each side
peck fly machine
3X10-15@130
Pulling days
I will have to record this for the future. My back routine is mostly cable rows, lat pulldowns, shrugs, upright rows, face pulls, dumbell rows.

My main worry is about my rep range, I trained higher reps the last two years but did not see many gains so for the compound moves like deads, bench ect I have tried working in the lower rep range to see if that helps well being careful to avoid injury. I have tried conventional deadlifts on and off but I find it very hard to keep a straight back and my lower back usually hurts for a few days after. I'm 6-3 and 195 so I'm tall with a long upper body which makes it tough.

Last edited by Renton; 09-11-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Renton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2013, 02:42 PM   #2
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Welcome. Looking good so far.

Log is a great start. Post up some video if you can too. Chances are people here can fix you up if your form is a problem. What are your goals? That might help you define the best way to reach them.

Best of luck to you. Always feel free to ask questions about anything. Lots of smart guys around here to help you out.

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:26 PM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Good start. Will be following along. Hope to see you smash your goals.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:43 AM   #4
Renton
Brawn
Points: 1,024, Level: 17 Points: 1,024, Level: 17 Points: 1,024, Level: 17
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 3 years+
Fav Exercise: front squat
Fav Supp: whey protein
Renton has made some good postsRenton has made some good postsRenton has made some good postsRenton has made some good postsRenton has made some good postsRenton has made some good postsRenton has made some good postsRenton has made some good posts

My goal is to eventually weigh between 210-220 with out too much fat but I seem to be stuck. After my dieting I was down to around 184 with very little body fat. The last two years my weight has been stuck around 195 no matter how hard I train. Guess I"m worried about getting too much fat on my stomach as I used to be so overweight, I was 260. For the average guy who is 30 is it normal to gain some belly fat when you are trying to build muscle?
Renton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:40 AM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton View Post
My goal is to eventually weigh between 210-220 with out too much fat but I seem to be stuck. After my dieting I was down to around 184 with very little body fat. The last two years my weight has been stuck around 195 no matter how hard I train. Guess I"m worried about getting too much fat on my stomach as I used to be so overweight, I was 260. For the average guy who is 30 is it normal to gain some belly fat when you are trying to build muscle?
It's an art form to get leaner. Some bodybuilders take numerous attempts to get it right.

To your question, it depends on your definition of belly fat. I get around 230 with some belly fat but the muscle hides it well.

I guess my advice it to focus on getting crazy strong and not to get too aggressive on your bulk. You really don't need to be adding more than about 1.5 pounds per month right now, in my opinion. Do this over a couple years will progressing and you should see more muscle gains than fat gains.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote