I WILL
Max Brawn
Points: 5,091, Level: 45 Points: 5,091, Level: 45 Points: 5,091, Level: 45
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 2-4 years 2 serious
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Romanian Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
I WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master member

Glad you are back. Looks like training is going great for you and JR. I can see how you don't want anyone messing with his weight training; you've certainly got him right on point with it. Congrats to both you (his coach) and him for the great game last night.

MAB Sponsored Athlete

My Website: Nutrition Beast
I WILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2013, 09:13 AM   #102
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatter View Post
Groovy squats OR!! Sessions like that serve a great purpose of course. I really hope your squats continue to progress well right along with the puls.
Thanks Squat Man. That's the plan exactly; work hard on the pulls and the squats will naturally get stronger due to some carry-over. I can only push one of those lifts hard at one time, and it's time for the deadlift.
Quote:
You show alot of lifting maturity in how you handled your situation. I have no idea what thread your talking about, and don't need to see it either. Just glad your in the right headspace now to continue on.
It's the internet, it's NOT real life. I need to keep that in perspective.
Quote:
Junior sure is fortunate to have a strength coach like you, who is of course only interested in what is best for him. Remarkable in every respect.
While I am bummed-out about not being able to help him more with his running and conditioning, I need to do what's best for him. He's happy that he at least still gets to lift with me next off-season
Quote:
That shutout is amazing - rarely see that in football.
Although I may not agree with everything the coaches do or say (who does?), overall they are an excellent group of coaches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dray View Post
Dunno much about USian footy, but that looks suspiciously like he did spectacularly well. Congrats, to the both of you.
Ya, they said he'd done an excellent job, deserves a rest, and let's play some of the kids that don't get a lot of time on the field. Win/Win.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dray View Post
Also, nice conditioning session OR.
Thanks Dray, I had to really talk myself into it, but was glad when I'd completed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I WILL View Post
Glad you are back. Looks like training is going great for you and JR. I can see how you don't want anyone messing with his weight training; you've certainly got him right on point with it. Congrats to both you (his coach) and him for the great game last night.
Thanks I WILL. I see what some of the training centers do with their kid athletes and I don't want my kid messed up by doing dumb stuff. Any running, conditioning, agility stuff they do is fine, but I KNOW that the basic lifts are exactly what a beginner needs, and no max attempts!
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:17 AM   #103
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: the one that doesn't hurt
Fav Supp: Milk
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

a good speed coach is a good idea for JR.

a little gym & speed training can go a long way if he takes his practices seriously... and I know he does!
Old 08-25-2013, 09:57 AM   #104
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
Okay, I'm in a much better mood now. I always think it's better to back away from internet arguments and cool off rather than get into it with them. Be assured that it was nothing one of you guys did, you are all my friends and I appreciate your support.

On the training front, I hit a squat workout yesterday and finished with a bunch of hill sprints. I'm keeping the squats fairly light right now so I can focus on getting the deadlift up. But I want to keep the squat form dialed-in, so I will just be hitting them at 85% until they just feel ridiculously light, then I will increase them.

I've switched Jr's workouts around a little to give him Fridays off to rest before his football game. He will now be doing bench, press, and light conditioning on Sundays. Most of the stuff I've read from coaches says it's best to get them into the gym the day after a game to keep them moving.

He no longer has Monday practices for the rest of the year, so that will be his BIG lifting day with squats, rows, back raises, and a lot more running stuff at the end. He will then have practices on Tues, Wed, and Thur. That's about the best we can do for his schedule. I will be working out on Sunday, Monday, and Friday, that's the best I can do with the schedule.

Practices have been great for Jr. We have two linemen on the team that are probably the best in the area; Jr and the O-Line coach's son. They've been lining up against each other this week and oh-my-goodness I wish you could see these battles. Parents are actually cheering for the line, it's that intense.

Jr is still have some conditioning and running issues this year. I think next year I will send him to somebody for a good running and conditioning program while I will still be in charge of his weight training. He needs somebody that actually knows how to correct running form and will drive him harder than I will. But I DO NOT want anybody messing with his lifting form and having him do goofy exercises. All the stuff I've seen in the area has the young kids working with machines and using CrossFit type stuff. Not for Jr!!! He's going to squat, bench, and pull; nothing but getting strong with the basics.
Lets get together and talk some running stuff before you spend some money. Ill show you some things I have done in the past to help develop overall speed and specific lineman type speed.

Also wouldnt be a bad idea to hear a few college strength coaches speak. Learn to scale down the drills to fit his age range and ability level.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:35 AM   #105
Off Road
Max Brawn

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmalm123 View Post
a good speed coach is a good idea for JR.

a little gym & speed training can go a long way if he takes his practices seriously... and I know he does!
Thanks Jd, he definitely has a great work work ethic at practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Byrd View Post
Lets get together and talk some running stuff before you spend some money. Ill show you some things I have done in the past to help develop overall speed and specific lineman type speed.

Also wouldnt be a bad idea to hear a few college strength coaches speak. Learn to scale down the drills to fit his age range and ability level.
That would be awesome JB. I'll shoot you a PM. Thanks.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:40 PM   #106
Off Road
Max Brawn

Default Sunday, August 25, 2013

OR's Workout. . .

Deadlift - warm ups
180 lbs x 5
225 lbs x 4
270 lbs x 3
300 lbs x 2
335 lbs x 1
385 lbs x 1 - Super Easy

Deadlift - work sets
295 lbs x 5
295 lbs x 5 - Super Easy

---------------------------

OR Jr's Workout. . .

Hang Shrugs x 5

Trap Bar Deadlift - warm ups
95 lbs x 5
115 lbs x 4
125 lbs x 3
140 lbs x 2
160 lbs x 1

Trap Bar Deadlift - work sets
115 lbs x 6
115 lbs x 6

Barbell Rows / Rear Raises / Plank Holds - Super-Set
75 lbs x 8 / 15 lbrs x 8 / 30 seconds
75 lbs x 8 / 15lbrs x 8 / 30 seconds

Notes:
I'm trying something new with Jr. I didn't hear back from JB yet, but I did about 6 hours of research on the internet and that's what I came up with. He will progress from Hang Shrugs to Hang High-Pulls, to High Pulls, to Power Cleans. Swapped the Squats for Trap Bar to start working the back and posture more. The Trap Bar Deadlifts were really easy for him after all the Squatting he's been doing. Also, again focusing on the posture, he's doing rows and rear raises to really build that upper back and Planks for the core. Trying to get the biggest bang for the buck out of the short time we have to workout.

Tomorrow will be a speed and conditioning day, and the rest of the week will be football practice.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:52 PM   #107
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

Gotta love it when a father is more concerned about his sons training/session than his own. The comments say it all.

Like I have said before, Father of the year right here folks!!

Add moar weight to that deadlift bar!! Yay! for an easy 405 in your not too distant future!
Bench: 286 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1262 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 300 lbs
Deadlift: 520 lbs
Total: 1315 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:50 AM   #108
ravimolasaria
Max Brawn
Points: 27,548, Level: 98 Points: 27,548, Level: 98 Points: 27,548, Level: 98
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Training Exp: 10
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Whatever makes me strong
ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
OR's Workout. . .

Deadlift - warm ups
180 lbs x 5 225 lbs x 4 270 lbs x 3 300 lbs x 2 335 lbs x 1 385 lbs x 1 - Super Easy

Deadlift - work sets
295 lbs x 5 295 lbs x 5 - Super Easy

---------------------------

OR Jr's Workout. . .

Hang Shrugs x 5
Trap Bar Deadlift - warm ups
95 lbs x 5 115 lbs x 4 125 lbs x 3 140 lbs x 2 160 lbs x 1

Trap Bar Deadlift - work sets
115 lbs x 6 115 lbs x 6

Barbell Rows / Rear Raises / Plank Holds - Super-Set
75 lbs x 8 / 15 lbrs x 8 / 30 seconds
75 lbs x 8 / 15lbrs x 8 / 30 seconds
This is insane ....everytime I come to this log, my target get some beating and wts. move northwards ... Awesome stuff OR and OR Jr. ... keep smashing the wts. Sir ...
Old 08-26-2013, 05:06 AM   #109
I WILL
Max Brawn
Points: 5,091, Level: 45 Points: 5,091, Level: 45 Points: 5,091, Level: 45
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 2-4 years 2 serious
Fav Exercise: Romanian Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
I WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master member

What a great coach and Dad you are. That will be awesome if JB kicks in to help too. Perhaps you will have a pro on your hands.

MAB Sponsored Athlete

My Website: Nutrition Beast
I WILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:11 AM   #110
Off Road
Max Brawn

Quote:
Gotta love it when a father is more concerned about his sons training/session than his own. The comments say it all.

Like I have said before, Father of the year right here folks!!

Add moar weight to that deadlift bar!! Yay! for an easy 405 in your not too distant future!
Thanks Squat Man. My son trusts me to get him stronger, I cannot fail him. So far so good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravimolasaria View Post
This is insane ....everytime I come to this log, my target get some beating and wts. move northwards ... Awesome stuff OR and OR Jr. ... keep smashing the wts. Sir ...
Thanks Ravi. Hope to have the Deadlift up to 500 lbs in short order. Everything else is secondary right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I WILL View Post
What a great coach and Dad you are. That will be awesome if JB kicks in to help too. Perhaps you will have a pro on your hands.
Thanks I WILL. I hope I can really help him, I'm kind of bummed out that he didn't make more progress over the last year. I feel like I failed him. But, he did get a little better, so that's something. It is nice to have others to help me now; JB, Wood, BtB, and others. Can't wait to see what JB comes up with since he has so much direct experience and is so freakishly strong.