Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast
Default 555x5x5 by 55

555x5x5 by 55

Back from exile. Or at least it seems like it. A self imposed exile, anyway. I'll elaborate later, maybe, but thanks to a certain 13 year old, I've gotten the gumption to haul my carcass back to the gym.

Why such an odd journal title? Well, a few years ago when I first decided to train like a powerlifter, I thought it would be a reasonable and worthwhile goal to pull a 500 pound deadlift on my 50th birthday. Well, as I sit here in the earliest of moments of my 50th birthday, and having not attempted a heavy dead since my 405 single last September, I realize that the once attainable goal is lost. What isn't lost though, is a new goal. With hard work, dedication, and determination, I'm sure I can achieve it. Five years from today, on my 55th birthday, I am going to pull 555. And just to make things interesting, I'm going to do it for a 5x5. That's it. That's my "Warrior Quest" or whatever challenge was laid down a couple of weeks back. Who knows, I might even do it with "abs."

I'm not sure how it will get accomplished. Probably a combination of tried and true old faithful friends (Wendler, madcow, a little bit of Smolov). I might pick up something else along the way too. I'm going to have fun on the journey. I'm going to get my squat and bench respectable too. But doggone it. I'm going to do it!

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2013, 07:12 AM   #2
fenrisulfr
Peanut Butter Member
Max Brawn
Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Chicken breast
fenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite member

Best of luck getting your goal! Beast of a goal I might add.
fenrisulfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:29 AM   #3
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenrisulfr View Post
Best of luck getting your goal! Beast of a goal I might add.
Beast of a goal for a bast of a man, I might add.

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
Old 07-27-2013, 11:40 AM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

My wife was just asking about you last week.

I think about you often Big V hoping all is well. Stay strong and keep fighting the years. They want us to sit still. We can't let them get their way.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:50 PM   #5
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

You got this. I have faith in the old carcass still being able to hit it's goals and have some fun along the way once you set your mind to it.

Now what did a certain 13 year old do to get you to set your mind to it?

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:22 AM   #6
moeheep
Max Brawn
Points: 9,512, Level: 65 Points: 9,512, Level: 65 Points: 9,512, Level: 65
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: 1.5 years
Fav Exercise: DEADS
Fav Supp: Condense
moeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite member

Do it

Best Meet Lifts:
Squat = 325
Bench = 210
Dead = 353
Total = 888

The iron is there during my times of happiness, sadness and anger. The iron is there available through the 4 seasons and inclement weather. The iron is there to either comfort me or motivate me. The Iron manages to show me how strong I am or how humble I need to be. The iron does not yell, but it always demands respect. The iron is not a disciplinarian, but when disrespected, I feel it for a long time. The iron does not love or hate, but we definitely share a strong bond. And no matter how far I stay away or for how long, the iron is there, waiting to be lifted.
moeheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:02 AM   #7
linedriver465
Max Brawn
Points: 5,829, Level: 49 Points: 5,829, Level: 49 Points: 5,829, Level: 49
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 3.5 years
Training Type: Volume
Fav Supp: Caffeine
linedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beast

Crush it in here big guy
linedriver465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:15 PM   #8
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
My wife was just asking about you last week.

I think about you often Big V hoping all is well. Stay strong and keep fighting the years. They want us to sit still. We can't let them get their way.
Thanks, Steve. I think of you often too.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:20 PM   #9
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
You got this. I have faith in the old carcass still being able to hit it's goals and have some fun along the way once you set your mind to it.

Now what did a certain 13 year old do to get you to set your mind to it?
The certain 13 year old (my daughter) found out she is old enough to start using the fitness center at the YMCA. She dragged me in with her a few times to help her feel comfortable, and get to know the place. She can't hang and bang with Dad in the weight room yet, but she can work on some machines and do some light dumbell stuff. Little did she realize that in just a few visits, she had become part of the fabric. I was down there by myself yesterday, and one of my buddies asked where my partner was.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:53 AM   #10
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

New log has been up for a couple of weeks now, but no entries. Time to make good, eh?

I've been at it for nearly a month now. I've been running a bastardized madcow 5x5. I like this format after an extended layoff, because it tends to make one strong really fast. I'll likely continue on this until everything stalls, then see where life is (school, hockey, work, etc.). If time allows, I've been eyeing a more traditional 5x5 (Bill Starr style). If life hands me crap, I'll adapt something for a twice a week schedule.

Instead of backing up to the beginning, I'll just commence journaling with this week's effort

Sunday, 8/11/13

Squat
45x5
130x5
150x5
170x5
195x5
225x5

BP
45x5
95x5
110x5
125x5
145x5
165x5

Pendlay Row
170x5x5