Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

I was lucky enough to have a second opportunity to hit the gym today, and this time I hit my lower body. I had already eaten twice and other than being a little less hydrated than I'd like and also being a bit tired and crampy up top from my session this morning I was more prepared to hit my lower body than the last time I tried to do my pin squats.

I ended up deciding to keep the pins in the lower position where I had them last time instead of moving them back up like I had originally intended.

Squats-
45x5
45x5
135x5
225x4
315x3

Pin squats (position 9)-
365x5
405x8
405x8
405x9

Abs on the GHR-
BWx12
BWx12
BWx12

I figured out today that if I loosen up at the bottom and really let the bar rest on the pins then it's MUCH harder to perform the lift as opposed to hitting the pins and immediately doing the lift. I'm sure it has to do with rebound, but it's surprising how much difference it makes considering that the bar isn't bouncing on the pins.

I'm not really sure which version is better as far as results go. Usually the "harder" version would be better, but rebounding a little off the bottom lets me do more reps with really heavy weights.

I'll just play it by ear as the pins keep dropping in the coming weeks.
Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2013, 08:57 AM   #202
Soldier
Max Brawn

Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Looked in the mirror this morning and was very happy with what I saw, so I decided to do something I haven't done in weeks and weigh myself.

Weight check- 212

That's awesome! I've been eating a lot more, especially carbs, in the last few weeks and I've had almost no kick back. I think it's because for 3 weeks before I called off the cut I was stuck at 208, so essentially I was on maintenance. It's always good to go on maintenance after a cut before starting to eat more so that your body isn't trying to store everything it gets as fat.

I honestly thought I'd be closer to 220, if not higher. This gives me hope. Hope that I'm more in control of my eating than I had originally thought. I'm going to keep going with the flow for a few more weeks then reevaluate and possibly attempt another cut. I'd REALLY like to get below 200, at least. I still feel like the cut never really had a solid finish.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:01 AM   #203
Soldier
Max Brawn

Got super sick last night. I had planned to train today, but at this point it's a no-go. I'm really hungry because I couldn't keep anything down last night, but I don't want to want to eat too much because I DON'T want to throw up again.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #204
Soldier
Max Brawn

Just awoke from a 3 hour nap. Is there anything like the whole family taking an afternoon winter nap when it's freezing outside? Didn't get anything done today per se, but I definitely needed that nap.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:55 PM   #205
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Give me a good fireplace and a long winter nap any day.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 01:57 PM   #206
Soldier
Max Brawn

I've had a breakthrough of sorts the last couple weeks. Basically, I just needed more rest. That's the thing with super heavy lifting, it's not about waiting until you aren't sore. It's about waiting until your CNS is absolutely ready to handle supramaximal weights again, and it looks like that's at least 4 days with this program.

To me, that lends lots of credibility to programs like the Lillebridge program where you really only handle heavy loads twice a week and only squat or deadlift with maximal loads every other week.

But back to progressive movement training. One thing I've been amazed by is how fast I've adapted to both of the ROM's I've used to this point. When I first used to top setting for the pins I had trouble getting 10+ with 425. The very next session I did 455 for 12+ with no problem. When I switched to the next position down I struggled with 405 for 5 and could only get 2 with 455, failing on a third.

Well, today was better, as you'll see below. I will say, however, that it isn't entirely because I'm getting stronger. I also figured out that it's better to stay tight, hit the pins hard, and immediately push back up. This allows me to get way more weight moving than if I let myself get loose at the bottom, then tighten up again and push.

Squats-
45x5
135x5
225x5
225x5 (for this set I used a narrow stance just to see how it felt. felt pretty good)
315x3 (same narrow stance here, same pretty good feeling. A little weakness at the bottom, which of course is no surprise.)

Pin squats, walked out (position 9)-
365x5
405x5
455x7
455x8
455x10

On the last set I wanted to stop at 5. I literally almost stepped into the racks, but I took a big breath, recollected myself and pressed on. Those last 5 were a one at a time sort of deal, and afterwards I did the whole lay-on-the-ground-like-I'm-dying thing. I figure that if I'm going to do partial lifts, I better do them so hard that absolutely no one can question what I'm getting out of them, and absolutely no one can question that I'm working harder than they've ever worked in their entire life.

It's good that I got things moving better today, because today was my 3rd session with this ROM, and it's time to move on to a larger ROM and even harder sessions.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:56 PM   #207
Soldier
Max Brawn

I'm in love. With her, and with the song. Is it weird that I have a thing for short, Irish brunettes that can sing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_1tzzEQ3DM
Old 11-26-2013, 11:01 PM   #208
Soldier
Max Brawn

Tonight for dinner I had nachos. Not just any nachos. I fried up tortillas for the chips, then combined some of my wife's homemade salsa with black beans and grilled up strips of chicken breast. After I stacked it all up I grated Colby jack cheese over the top.

I've never had anything like it. The semi-homemade tortilla chips were so crispy and even stayed crispy with the salsa sitting on them for a while. This was a fantastic dish that will be made again soon.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:02 PM   #209
Soldier
Max Brawn

I moved the pins down today. Again, it was probably a mistake because I needed at least 1 more day to recover. Unfortunately tomorrow is Thanksgiving, so it's not an option.

This method of supramaximal training is having noticeable effects. Today during my warmup 135 felt like the bar on my back, and 225 felt like 135. There was no difference at all, the bar just moved a little more slowly from the bottom. I'll tell you though, that no matter what I do, 455 feels like a godamned ton on my back. Hopefully 455 will feel like 225 one day, when I've moved on to bigger and heavier things.

I'm trying not to overeat too much. Part of me wants to eat constantly so that next time I get under a bar I'll be ready to do more than last time. But I know what will happen. I know that the fat will come. I know I'll get heavy and slow, and not like what I see in the mirror. I'm extremely torn at the moment.

I think I'll just gain a little during this experiment with progressive movement training and see if I can get some results. After that I may cut some more and try to get down around 200. My first goal is a 2xbw raw squat, so my bodyweight and my strength go hand in hand. If I get strong and fat I still won't have really moved towards my goal. I'd rather get slow gains and maintain a better bodyweight, say <210lb.

Here's what I did today-

Squat-
45x5
45x5
135x5
225x4
275x3

Partial pin squats, walked out (position 10)-
*It's my first day at this new pin position
315x5
365x5
405x5
455x1
425x5

As soon as I started doing the partials my glutes started screaming. I could tell almost from the onset that I wasn't going to be at 100% and that my 2 days of rest weren't nearly enough. But last time I moved to a new pin position I had a similar negative response, and in the sessions after I got things moving fine. Hopefully I'll get some good recovery and next time I put the bar on my back I can do what I need to do. I know I will.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:15 PM   #210
Soldier
Max Brawn

Another very successful upper body day today. I'm starting to really nail down my bench and get things moving. Today I trained in my garage, which allowed me to make use of chains. This allowed me to take it easy on that bottom position without the awkwardness that comes with the slingshot.

I did lots of warmup stuff. Rotator cuff and shoulder movements with very light weight.

Bench (+ means chain weight)-
45x12
135x12
135+30x10
185+30x5
225+30x2

Close grip bench-
185+30x5
185+30x5
185+30x5

Between the sets of bench I did lots of light lateral raises, incline front raises and rear delt raises. This kept my shoulders warmed up and also helped me build up conditioning in the muscles that have given me so much trouble.

I've realized that the closer my hands are, the less pain I have to deal with. I've always been a wide grip bencher, and moving my hands in even a little has always cost me numbers. I'm going to have to train my ass off and build up tons of triceps strength to build any appreciable numbers on a bench with a closer grip.

My bodyweight is hovering just over 215. Not bad, but I probably ate a little more during the thanksgiving break than I should have. No worries, I'm going to start tracking my intake and keeping it in the 2500-3000 range, then adjust based on how much I gain.