Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Logs
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 09-14-2013, 06:13 PM   #101
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

I can totaly relate to the issue with your wife. Ive learned to handle it by not expecting AANYTHING regarding some things anf situations. If she holds you back, do your thing and dont discuss it with her if you feel that she might be negative about it.

Good sessions btw, solid volume.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:14 PM   #102
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Thanks Swede. I just needed to vent. the wife and I talked it out a little and everything is cool.

Another training day today. I also decided to switch up my diet (which is honestly rather boring) today with a nice higher intake, zero carb day. Basically, I wanted to eat wings for dinner. It's as simple as that, and 1000+ calories of wings aren't going to work very well with my normal diet.

The wings were good. That is all.

Standing press-
45x12
95x5
115x3
140x3
110x8
110x8
110x8
110x8
110x8

BOR-
45x12
95x8
135x8
185x8
204x3+4 partial reps
165x8
165x8
165x8
165x8
165x8

Squats with heals elevated on 5lb plates-
45x5
135x5
225x3
275x3
295x2
205x8
205x8
205x8
205x8
205x8

Wow, that was a tough one. Unfortunately the 295x2 on squats was a huge grind. I barely got the second rep. This is tough to take for someone who was repping out with 385 a few months ago. BUT, the sets with 205 were awesome. Not easy...not easy at all, but it was great to get it done with a weight like that.

BOR's are going well too. I really felt the heavy set with 205 today, and I can tell they're having a positive effect all the way from my upper back to my hamstrings.

Back to the grind tomorrow, both with work and with my diet. It's all good, just another step on the road to being ripped.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:32 AM   #103
Soldier
Max Brawn

Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

I went for my first run in many months yesterday morning. The results were surprising. I had been beyond certain that my running ability would be nonexistent. It turns out that my intense training in the weight room, an intensity that has left me on the ground struggling for breath numerous times, has served me well. I ran 2 miles, and while it certainly wasn't as fast as it would have been right after basic training (I could FLY after basic), I was extremely happy with the results.

I was running with a couple Sergeants, and immediately left them behind. One of them struggled to catch up to me, and we ran side by side for a while, but then I opened up my stride and left him in the dust. Poor guy, he spent the rest of the run 30-50 yards behind me. When we had about a quarter mile left he caught up to me, wheezing and struggling. I saw him next to me and left him in the dust again.

It feels good to be in shape!

Diet update-
It's been going ok, not great. I was originally following the program as myfitnesspal.com sets it up, which allows you to add calories to your intake for a given day by putting in your exercise. It's a good idea because it rewards exercise, but it doesn't work super well for me. I tend to actually eat less on training days, because I'm busier and have less time to eat. I also spend less time sitting around so I don't think about food as much.

Because of this I've decided to bump up my daily intake from 1800 to 2k calories. I'll make up for this change by NOT entering my daily exercise. I won't "get" to eat more on days I train, but I'll be able to eat a little more on the days I DON'T train, which are the days I want to eat more anyways.

Hopefully it works. I haven't been doing much at work lately, which makes dieting really tough for me. Back when I had a job where I was busy all day it was so much easier to not eat for longer periods of time.

On a more personal note, I'll be closing on my new house thursday! I can't wait to get into a full garage and have a little more space to commit to my training area. I'll also be able to modify things if I want to, such as putting up a pullup bar. It's going to be awesome.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:23 PM   #104
Soldier
Max Brawn

I always prefer to train during the day if I get the chance to, so today I took the opportunity to train during my lunch break. I did my normal programming of working up to a heavy set, then backing off for 5x8.

Instead of standing presses, I did standing press using a cable machine, Instead of BOR's I did the seated row machine, and then I finished up with some heavy close grip incline presses. I didn't do any leg stuff because in the last few days my legs have been hit hard. Those guys need some time to recover!

The most exciting part of the session was the close grip incline press. The last time I did these I think I didn't go over 100lb. It was an awkward lift to me and expressed my weaknesses well. But after all the overhead pressing I've been doing I was very happy to actually get 185x4 today! This was a shocker, and evidence that I'm doing the right things. Note that this was after some pretty intense shoulder and back work.

All in all a good punch-the-ticket sort of day.

Last edited by Soldier; 09-17-2013 at 03:32 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:42 PM   #105
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
I went for my first run in many months yesterday morning. The results were surprising. I had been beyond certain that my running ability would be nonexistent. It turns out that my intense training in the weight room, an intensity that has left me on the ground struggling for breath numerous times, has served me well. I ran 2 miles, and while it certainly wasn't as fast as it would have been right after basic training (I could FLY after basic), I was extremely happy with the results.
I was pretty surprised myself after college and 18 months of lifting.

I remember those good old basic training days. I went from slug to speed demon in 8 weeks. Once you've been there you learn just how quickly the body can improve and adapt.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 09-17-2013 at 06:40 PM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:21 PM   #106
Soldier
Max Brawn

One very, VERY annoying thing about the calorie counter I use is that sometimes the numbers are all wrong. This becomes a HUGE problem when you eat larger amounts of certain things, like I do. I just found out that the numbers for the ground beef I've been eating have been WAY off. As in I was eating 800 calories of ground beef but it was only showing up as 450.

I've got to start being more mindful of this and comparing the numbers listed on the site with some other sources.

No worries, onward and upward. I've decided to give carb cycling a try. The blood sugar roller coaster that is dieting while eating carbs is annoying. The main difference between this and the VLC dieting I was doing a few weeks ago is that I'll still be logging everything to maintain my calories below 2k a day. The plan will be basically going back and forth between days of VLC and simply calorie counting. The goal will be to get the benefits of both without the stagnation that makes standard dieting so hard mentally.

But in the end I'm just experimenting for fun and to keep things interesting. I'm a firm believer in the fact that the calorie is king, and if I keep my calories below 2k I'm going to lose fat no matter what macros I use to fill out my intake.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:30 PM   #107
Soldier
Max Brawn

I was told today by my Sergeant that starting tomorrow we will be going to the gym during the last hour of work every day. This is AWESOME news, for a number of reasons. The first is that this will take away from the time I need to train at home. The second is that I HATE the last hour of the workday. In my old job we used to get out every day around 4:30, which is actually a 1/2 hour "early" (It's not really early. Freaking EVERYBODY gets off around 4:30 most of the time. But with my new job it varies wildly, and without reason. Sometimes we get off at 4:30, then sometimes they make us stay late for absolutely no reason. It's extremely stressful for me!

So now I get to switch things up a little bit. I'll be doing my leg training at home most of the time because the gym we'll be going to has no squat rack (it's got a smith machine, a bicep machine, and a tricep machine, but no squat rack.), but I'll do most of my upper body work at the gym, which means I'll be returning to an upper/lower split.

This works out well because it's starting to take me longer to train as the weights get higher.

Today I decided to take the extra time I had and do some heavy ass squatting. That was the plan, at least. It turns out that my maximal strength has taken a big hit by combining a cut with higher rep training. Even my now loose squat suit couldn't help very much.

Get ready to be shocked by some tiny numbers!

Squat-
45x5
135x3
225x2
275x2
Add wraps and very loose belt-
315x2
Add squat suit, straps down-
315x3 (still a struggle)
Straps up, wraps on-
315x3

See what I mean? 315 used to be a stepping stone to much larger numbers, but today even with all my gear on I didn't feel comfortable going higher.

Now for the progressive rep sets-

210x8
210x8
210x8
210x8
210x8

It was obvious when I started doing these that my body has adapted very quickly to doing higher rep sets.

Whatever, it's ok. If I follow my progression scheme I'll continue to add 5lb to the bar every week. If I can keep adapting to this 5x8 program then I should be able to add 50-100lb to my repping weights in the next year. Throw in a few cycles of prohormones and there's no reason I can't be doing this same workout with 365-405 in the next few years.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:50 PM   #108
Soldier
Max Brawn

Oh, almost forgot today's weight check- 214. Hell yeah mofo's! Reach my goal for the month and I did it in less than a week.

I went to a burger place with the fam for dinner tonight. I had lots of calories left for the day and didn't mind going over a little since I've already done so well this week. Tomorrow I'll probably go low carb again.

At this pace I may actually get under 200 in the next 5-6 weeks. I still think I'm going to have to get down around 190 to really get near where I want to be, and I may even drop down into the 180's to prepare for any rebound when I come out of a deficit. Then it'll be time to bulk, the RIGHT way. Slow and steady...and with a little chemical assistance.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:31 AM   #109
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Great work soldier!
Old 09-20-2013, 02:13 PM   #110
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

I admire your determination. Interesting reading about your dieting thoughts. I have come to similar conclusions, and I did not know that about some of these sites being inconsistent about calories for certain things! That's food for thought for sure.

As for the wife thing, marriage is a strange thing sometimes. I try not to think about it or my head starts to hurt.

Rock on.

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote