Old 07-31-2013, 02:27 PM   #11
ndrwdslv
Max Brawn
Points: 3,978, Level: 40 Points: 3,978, Level: 40 Points: 3,978, Level: 40
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 3
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Lactose-free Milk
ndrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machine

Subbed. Glad you figured out that you can't always listen to articles, videos about form.. you try it all and see what works for you.. some days your grip width will change because wider feels more comfy or you're just stronger with a wide grip.. lately I've been using wide grip on bench to use my chest.. when I need to grind, I shorten my grip to get my arms involved more because I know my chest isn't great.

And as B said, trust the process.. with a 135 bench, you'll be amazed how fast you get to 200s if you keep working at it! (same with other lifts)
ndrwdslv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2013, 04:44 PM   #12
Gorship
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,682, Level: 23 Points: 1,682, Level: 23 Points: 1,682, Level: 23
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: 1-2 altogether.
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: DeadLift
Fav Supp: Creatine + Beta Alanine.
Gorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndrwdslv View Post
Subbed. Glad you figured out that you can't always listen to articles, videos about form.. you try it all and see what works for you.. some days your grip width will change because wider feels more comfy or you're just stronger with a wide grip.. lately I've been using wide grip on bench to use my chest.. when I need to grind, I shorten my grip to get my arms involved more because I know my chest isn't great.

And as B said, trust the process.. with a 135 bench, you'll be amazed how fast you get to 200s if you keep working at it! (same with other lifts)
Hey man! Thanks! (Seriously!)

very appreciated.

----

So End of the week log. Time for an info dump!

Bench day!

Barbell bench press:

@155; 5,5,4
@145; 4,3

As I posted before my bench got Weird on me. Im going to do 145 and get my grip figured out, and get a strong form 5x5 at 145 and move from there.

das mah plan mon!

so since this happened, the rest of my workout was a bit off but it still worked.

Incline bench
:
@135; 5,4
@115 (yah 115... my tricep had the biggest pump though, it was WEIRD) 5,5,5

should be able to do 135 tomorrow since im fixing my flat bench.

Close Grip Bench
:

105; 5x5 (BOOM!) movin up to 115

Cable lower chest raise:

@40lbs; 5,5
Felt i was cheating
@30lbs; 5,5,4

ill do 30 tomorrow (As its national chest day monday and see how it feels)

Tricep press down

130lbs: 5,5,5,5,4
id like to crush 130.

Listened to Mr. Ripptoe about tricep press downs and he says to incorperate the shoulder movement at the top, I make give this a shot. Just wont throw it like in the skull crusher and keep it nice and slow and contracted and then down into the press, just for a little more oomph.

Deadlift day (oh my favorite!)

Deadlifts

245lbs 5,5,5,4,4
next week we'll get a 5th on the 4th set and then 5x5 by the end of august! BOOM!

Bent over row

155; 5,4
I dropped the weight after this, I noticed I was barely even bent over and i wasnt getting a full contraction. Cheating myself for more weight is not going to help me increase my deadlift so I dropped it to 135.
@135; 5,5,5

I will work the bar at 135 and go for a 5x5 to measure my strength with strict form. BOOM!

One arm dumb bell row

70lbs 5x5
80 lbs next week. owchness ahead.

Cable Straight arm push down

110 5x5
up to 120

Close grip cable curl

110 5x5

up to 120

BOOM!

Overhead Press day

@115lbs, 5,5,5,4,3

No longer using a preworkout and the extra bit of tiredness showed. not happy with those presses. I want a 5x5 next week at that weight! roar!

Alternating palms in dumbell press

40lbs; 5,5,5,4,5

Right arm gets a bit sloppy so Im going to work at 5x5 and maybe stick at that 5x5 for an extra week to get the form in check.

Dumbell arnold press

40lbs; 5,5,5,4,4

feels goodman! try for a 5x5?!? maybe ...

Facepull

120lbs 5x5
up to 130lbs

Pretty excited to see this go up so fast, the reason im even doing them is for the corrective properties in pulling the shoulders back, once i max this out on my cable machine (goes up to 130) Ill be doing bent over reverse flys for the same properties.

Palms out lateral raises

20lbs; 5,5,5,5,4
goin for the 5x5 tomorrow! then try the 25's!

Shrugs Dumbell.
80lbs, 5x5

my gym only goes up to 80lb dumbells so this is a problem. my use the BB and head to shrug city.

skull crushers

85; 5,5
80; 5,5,5.

i dropped weight cause the bar i was using didn't have the grip, I ended up changing both the bar and then dropped weight thinking it was too heavy when looking back the bar was just so ungrippable that it was causing my form to go wonky. so, I may try 85 again.

Squat day
:

DUN DUN DUN!!!

BB FULL SQUAT

135; 5,5,5,4,3

YEAH BUDDY! finally got a plate a side rollin! boom!

Dumbell lunges

60lbs (aka 2x30lbs dumbells)

Stiff legged -barbell deadlift

185; 5,5,5,4,4
I was so happy with this! movin that weight up! going for 5x5 next week!

Trap bar deadlift (aka hex bar deadlift that isnt really a deadlift at all... but feels good on my quads)

145; 5,5,5,5,4

Barbell curl

70lbs (dropped down from 80 for form reasons)

BOOM!

Take aways:

Dont sacrifice my form to try and get bigger numbers, take the steady increase instead of trying to climb the face of the mountain and get injured and not workout for a month.

This routine has more volume than im used to and some muscles are adjusting, give myself a bit of break if i start failing - at the end of the day muscle fatigue is what you want.

Deadlift... just cause well Deadlift.

Thanks again everyone for your support
All the best!
Gorship.
Gorship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:03 PM   #13
HumanHorrorFilm
Wolfman of Ironsport
Max Brawn
Points: 8,049, Level: 60 Points: 8,049, Level: 60 Points: 8,049, Level: 60
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

HumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beast

Real detailed writeups in here, and good focus on compound movements. I like the 5x5 setup you have running, as it looks similar to what Doug Hepburn used
"Before the Beginning, after the great war between Heaven and Hell, God created the Earth and gave dominion over it to the crafty ape he called Man. And to each generation was born a Creature of Light and a Creature of Darkness... and great armies clashed by night in the ancient war between good and evil. There was magic then. Nobility. And unimaginable cruelty. And so it was until the day that a false sun exploded over Trinity, and man forever traded away wonder for reason."

Reigning Undisputed MAB Beard Champion

HumanHorrorFilm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:17 PM   #14
Gorship
Uber Brawn

Gorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanHorrorFilm View Post
Real detailed writeups in here, and good focus on compound movements. I like the 5x5 setup you have running, as it looks similar to what Doug Hepburn used
Yeah, I know it isn't the "starting strength" or a fancy WO plan, but I tweaked it for how I know I operate. I can stay focused for 5 reps and give it my all, so running a 5x5 was for a logical choice in set/rep scheme. One thing I am enjoying a lot is the minimum so I know if they weight is too heavy or not, in the OP i mentioned it but for me anyway

first 3 sets have to be to 5 or something is wrong.
4th set I will give myself 1 so i can go to 4
5th I give myself 2

this allows me to get a very easy incline in progression

5x5
next week up the weight to the 5,5,5,4,3 and repeat the process.

In saying that, I have found already that there are times when my strength jumps, ive had 2 weeks in a row now where my dumbell rows moved up and each time used a full 5x5 day. Thus, I need to be honest and not cheat out and say "oh ok Ill just give myself 3 and not do 4 even though i probably could crush it out", but rather its walking the line of greatest output vs sustainable overload over a period of time. Which comes down to gym experience in my honest opinion. I dont think anyone could ever write a formula to how you recover or train.

and thats a whole lot of ranting. O.O .
Old 08-04-2013, 08:25 PM   #15
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Good reads in here. McLoving the log.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:59 PM   #16
Gorship
Uber Brawn

I will try to splice together some vids for you guys to check out my form, thats my next project.
Philippians 1:21: For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.
Log!

www.needGod.com
Old 08-11-2013, 07:56 PM   #17
Gorship
Uber Brawn

Default yall know what time it is!

Time for some of this there information bombs!

Alright lets start shall we.

Bench Day

BB Bench Press

145 5x5
move up to 155 tomorrow

Note:
So... I did some experimenting. I have been having issues with grip width and going back n forth. I would like to give you what ive found. This is all bro science, but here it is..

I grabbed the two oly bars at my gym and lined them up. And just as i suspected. The rings were in different locations on the bar, they were not identical. This made a lot of sense as to why i was feeling so uncomfortable all the time, I was always judging by the rings and not by my body.

In a previous post i mentioned laying on the floor etc to find grip width, A shortcut/warm up i have been developing for myself, is to throw a warm weight on the bar and lower the bar to your chest, please note.. im not a professional nor a coach this is all my opinion In this position you want to be at your strongest. that would mean using all your energy to push the bar straight up. So you want your forearms pointing to the ceiling, and your upper arm to be parallel to the floor (or close to) this will be (From what i understand) your strongest position. the further you wing out your elbows the more pressure on your rotater cuffs, and the more inward the more tricep, so you will want to be at 30 degree(ish) depending on your comfort, but be careful for your shoulder. Notice: we havnt used rings, or any other feedback other than your own actual body to depict what is strongest for you. Im not a powerlifter, im not a body builder, but my personal bro-science;opinion, would be to try and be at your absolute strongest at all times. For me this is it.

moving on...

Incline Bench Press

135; 5,5,5,4,3
This is good im finally getting a pattern down.

Close grip bench

115lbs, 5,5,5,4,3

Cable lower chest raise

30, 5x5.
move up to 40 next week.

I like this lift... and i don't... couple more weeks if i still find it kinda non taxing I may move to Incline DB Flys.

Cable Tricep press down

130 5x5
move up to 140.

almost maxed on my cable press down (lame i know) Im going to move to dumbbell skull crushes with the deep stretch like i do with the ez curl bar. (kinda excited I wont lie)

Deadlift Day

So... Funny story I kinda loaded the bar too much and messed up

265 - 5 reps

Thought to myself (wow that was really heavy..)

245lbs, 5,5,5,4

i want 245 5x5 this week.. i will have this.

BB Bent over rows

135; 5,5,5,5,4

Keeping these very strict is much more difficult and im enjoying it more

One arm dumbell rows

80lbs, 5,4
70lbs 5,5,4

weird day for dumbell rows. Since I do not have 75's Going to do a couple weeks at 70 5x5 then try again for 80's my main focus is increasing my DL so this is a minor setback for an increase in dem big lifts.

Shrugs

80lbs; 5x5.

Maxed out the Dumbbells i have that at my hole in the wall gym, moving to barbbell shrugs.

Over Head Press Day

Barbell shoulder press

115lbs 5,5,5,4,3

Alternating Seated dumbbell press [palms in]

40lbs 5,5,5,5,4

I was... so close to 5x5... i was furious.

Dumbell arnold press

40lbs 5,5,5,4,4

Face pull

130 5x5

palms out lateral raise

20lbs 5x5

Skull crusher overhead

80lbs - 4
75lbs - 5,5,5,5

gotta stick at 75 and get the form down proper, i really like this lift.

Squat Day

Barbell full squat.

135lbs; 5,5,5,4,3

got some hip sway, gotta stay solid in this lift, even at 5x5, for injury prevention I wanna make sure im rock solid.

Dumbbell lunges

60lbs 5x5

moving up to 65!

Stiff Legged Barbell Deadlift

185lbs; 5x5

movin up to 195!

Trap bar deadlift (should really be called squat but what evs)

145lbs 5x5

Barbell curl

70lbs; 5,5,5,4,3

i was pretty tired so i think that's why this dropped a bit. Hopefully I can pick it up next week.

And until next week! Happy lifting everyone!

Soon I will earn the title of someone who lifts. soon...
Log!

www.needGod.com
Old 08-16-2013, 09:57 PM   #18
Gorship
Uber Brawn

Default Info dump!

Its the end of the week - and here we go!

Bench Day

BB Bench press

155 5x5

Boom

BB Incline bench press

135; 5,5,5,4,5

BB close grip bench

115; 5,5,5,5,4

Cable lower chest raise

40lbs 5x5

changing up to DB flys next week, these arnt doing it for me.

Cable Tricep press down

140 5x5

Almost maxed this out, going to have to move to DB skull crushers soon to make things easier for upping weight.

Dead lift day

BB Deadlift

245 5x5

Boom

Barbell bent over rows

135; 5x5

boom

One arm dumbell rows

70lbs 5x5

Straight arm push-down

130; 5,5,5,4,5

Need to find a better lat exersice, maybe DB bent over rows.

Close grip cable curl

120lb; 5,5,5,4,4

Shrug

80lbs db 5x5

gotta start doing barbell shrugs for more weight.

Overhead press day

Barbell overhead press : seated

115; 5,5,5,4,4

alternating palms in DB press

40; 5x5

boom

Dumbell arnold press

40lbs 5x5

Bent over reverse flys

had to try a few different weights, looks like it may be a 15lbs 5x5, my rear shoulders are quite weak it seems. even with the heavy face pulls. interesting.

Skull crusher over head

75lbs 5x5

boom

Squat Day

Barbell full squat

135lbs 5,5,5,4,4

dumbell lunges

70lbs 5,5,5,4,3

Stiff-legged barbell deadlift

195 5x5
BOOSH

Trap Bar squat

145 5x5

BAM

Barbell curl

70lbs 5,5,5,4,3

And there we go, i need to refine back day a bit, Deadlifts, rows, and one arm rows is 3, i need a forth strong compound. might do bent over rows again with dumbells instead... row row row your lats?
Log!

www.needGod.com
Old 08-16-2013, 10:07 PM   #19
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorship View Post
And there we go, i need to refine back day a bit, Deadlifts, rows, and one arm rows is 3, i need a forth strong compound. might do bent over rows again with dumbells instead... row row row your lats?
Definitely need a vertical plane pull like pull ups, assisted pull ups, rack chins or lat pull downs.

Let me know if you have questions on any of these.

Keep killing it!

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:17 PM   #20
Gorship
Uber Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Definitely need a vertical plane pull like pull ups, assisted pull ups, rack chins or lat pull downs.

Let me know if you have questions on any of these.

Keep killing it!
So my issue is im not strong enough to pull up my body weight, and our lat pull down isnt properly marked so i don't know what weight I am pulling.
Log!

www.needGod.com