Bear
Brawn
Points: 1,453, Level: 21 Points: 1,453, Level: 21 Points: 1,453, Level: 21
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift and Bench
Fav Supp: Food
Bear is a consistent contributorBear is a consistent contributorBear is a consistent contributorBear is a consistent contributorBear is a consistent contributorBear is a consistent contributorBear is a consistent contributorBear is a consistent contributorBear is a consistent contributorBear is a consistent contributorBear is a consistent contributor
Default Bear's training log

Well after seeing all the great lifters from the weekend I was very inspired to get to the gym today. I must say without this forum I would still be working out at some commercial gym going nowhere. I can't tell you how fortunate I am to stumble on to Steve and this great place to learn. Because of this forum I met several great people including Jen who invited me to a PL gym to bench and I never left. My journey continues to my first meet and here is how I intend to get there----
I just started the "Big Book" by Jonathan Byrd so I will give you an over view of my day as not to give every detail of the workout. You will have to buy it to get all the juicy details. I can safely say after the first bench workout my arms have never been this fatigued. It is actually tough to type right now but I will manage. I worked my butt off today with lots of volume per the workout and added some dumbbell rows and cable pull downs to work the abs.
I have been going back and forth in my mind if I will compete in the Sept 14th meet at my gym. It is a USAPL sanctioned meet which makes me somewhat nervous but I don't know if my squats are where they need to be. I will have to pull the trigger in the next few weeks to get my training down. Stay tuned for that and thanks for all the help!!
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2013, 03:02 AM   #2
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

BIG is a great program. You'll do well. Don't worry about writing about it as most of us have either done it or bought it or know all about it. Just write about how you are doing with it. No need to worry about if you are giving away secrets or anything, you're not.

I think USAPL is a great fed to start with. They are strict and that's good when you start out. As for your squats, I doubt they are worse than mine from my first meet!!! So, just go for it and have some fun.

Good luck.

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:29 AM   #3
Bear
Brawn

Bear is a consistent contributorBear is a consistent contributorBear is a consistent contributorBear is a consistent contributorBear is a consistent contributorBear is a consistent contributorBear is a consistent contributorBear is a consistent contributorBear is a consistent contributorBear is a consistent contributorBear is a consistent contributor

Thanks Mike. Right now I am leaning towards competing but I have a few people at my gym that I want to speak with to get their thoughts as they have seen my lifts.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:17 AM   #4
brad1224
Max Brawn
Points: 5,286, Level: 46 Points: 5,286, Level: 46 Points: 5,286, Level: 46
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

brad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machine

good luck brotha. give it hell and see how you do, ya know?

***AAEFX REP***

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AllAmericanEFX
Twitter: @AllAmericanEFX
Instagram: @AAEFX

http://www.aaefx.com
brad1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:11 PM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Smash PRs big man.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:35 PM   #6
Bear
Brawn

Well tonight was week 1 of the "Big" squats. I can safely say that I am spent but feel pretty good considering I have never done that much volume before. Warmed up as the program says and based my working sets off 70% of my max. did 3 sets @ 315 which damn near killed me but we did it. Finished with ass work. Great night of lifting!
Old 07-29-2013, 09:58 AM   #7
Bear
Brawn

I wasn't recovered enough from Tues and Wed workout to give it my full effort on Friday so I went in Saturday morning and did week 2 of back and week 2 of bench which was a little crazy but we got threw it. Worked up on rack pulls to 595 X2 which was after a lot of work and my abs were still hurting from earlier in the week. I may have pulled something but we will get threw it. We did deficit DL and some Hypers after that and then moved to bench which went pretty easily stepping up my weight from last week. Looking forward to squats tomorrow and continuing with the program. I will blow by 500 before the end of the year!
Old 07-30-2013, 09:34 PM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Keep killing it Bear. Crush them PRs.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:27 AM   #9
Bear
Brawn

Thanks BTB!!
Last night was week 2 of squats and they went pretty well. I was able to go up 10lbs on the working sets and got 3x8 @ 325lbs which was huge. I am battling gout in my left ankle and this really fired it up pretty bad so I wasn't able to do all of the aux work but I did finish with heavy good mornings. I still have to work on my form but my focus right now is building strength and getting used to the volume. Loving the program so far!
Old 08-05-2013, 09:24 AM   #10
Bear
Brawn

Finshed off week 3 of the big program and I can tell you it has been very hard but also rewarding. I was able to do deficit DL's on Friday for the entire workout and used 2-20lb chains on all sets to help with my lock out. After 5-6 sets of 5 I did a 2 reps @ 495 plus the chains from the floor to finish off the day. Before I started PL 4 months ago 525 was my PR with a lot of hitching and now I can do over 525 multiple times. My form wasn't great on the deficit 's but for it is pretty tough to get down there comfortably. Yesterday was a great bench day with working sets 3 X 6 @ 270 and then close grip 3 board which I was able to work up in the 380 range for 3 sets of 6. I was pretty spent but I completed the skulls crushers and full range close grips to finish the day. I can tell my strength is getting better and looking forward to when I can unlease the PR's