Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Training Logs (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Aaron's Powerlifting Log (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14047)

afraziaaaa 06-15-2013 03:44 PM

Aaron's Powerlifting Log

Just creating a place to log my training. I separated from the Marine Corps last year, and have taken up an interest in powerlifting. I have not done a competition yet, but plan to before the year is over. I do have a training partner who is a much more experienced powerlifter than I am. He has been helping me with programming for a couple months now. Current bodyweight is about 272lbs.

Here are my current gym PRs:

Squat: 525
Bench: 420
Deadlift: 535 (conventional)

I am shooting for a 1600 total in my first meet which is either going to be in August or November.

dzarello 06-15-2013 04:09 PM

First off, thank you for your services in the Marine Corp. Greatly appreciated!
Second, those are some strong numbers. Good luck to you on your training journey. I will be checking in.

afraziaaaa 06-15-2013 04:53 PM

Thanks man. I feel like they are too weak for a guy my size. Well at least the squat and deadlift are. I trained bodybuilding and calisthenic style for a long time, but am just starting to learn the power lifts so I think I have a long way to go until I peak.

dzarello 06-15-2013 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afraziaaaa (Post 375202)
Thanks man. I feel like they are too weak for a guy my size. Well at least the squat and deadlift are. I trained bodybuilding and calisthenic style for a long time, but am just starting to learn the power lifts so I think I have a long way to go until I peak.

For just starting to learn the lifts, those are damn good numbers. I would trade you any day.
Hard work + food + right amount of rest = big success.
You got that 1600!

gaspers04 06-15-2013 06:25 PM

Welcome to the forum, damn fine numbers.

afraziaaaa 06-15-2013 08:51 PM

Training 6/14

Here's what I did for training yesterday. A lot of my posts will include videos, especially if I am working on one of the big three. I kept the speed deads to 6 singles instead of 8 because I had already done some rep work to work on my form. I do not use a belt when I deadlift. I am also deadlifting and squatting twice per week right now, once heavy and once for speed on each. I am questioning the depth of my squats. I am sure they would pass in some feds, and not in others. I have identified my hips as a weak point in the hole. Let me know what you all think!

Speed work was at 65% of 1RM. Also worked up to 5 singles at 75% 1RM (not shown here).

Some rep work with squats at 85% of 1RM. Worked up to 3 sets.

No assistance today.

BendtheBar 06-15-2013 09:01 PM

Good luck man. Subscribed. Smash some PRs.

afraziaaaa 06-17-2013 03:24 AM

Training 6/16

1 Attachment(s)
Delts, traps, biceps and forearms accessory work. Biceps are a weak point in my bench press. I have neglected them for a long time, so I will be smashing them in the coming weeks.

Shoulder warm up with 12lb dumbbells.

Side laterals - 25x3x12
DB front raise - 25x3x8
Band face pull (strong band) - 3x30
Barbell Shrug - 225x2x15
Power Shrug - 365x3x5

Ez bar curl with fat gripz - 105x5x8, 65x1x20
DB curl with fat gripz - 32x5x8, 25x1x20
4 inch pinch grip holds - 55lbs 3 sets of 15, 9, 10 sec each hand (PR)
CoC gripper #1 -10 reps (left hand is weaker only got 6 reps, had to do the last 4 with the trainer gripper).

I have attached a picture of my homemade pinch grip implement. It is just a 2 pieces of 2x4 nailed together, 3/8" hole drilled through the middle with an eye bolt inserted. It attaches to a plate loadable pin with a carabiner. I think the whole set up cost me $20 total not including the tools, lumber and weights which I already had. It has really helped to increase my grip strength.

markievicz 06-17-2013 04:20 AM

strong numbers here Aaron

1600 will be a great result, smash on Sir

dzarello 06-17-2013 09:51 AM

Squat depth looks good to me. Looks right at if not below parallel. DL looks good, too. The only thing I would change on DL is try to drop your hips a little more to line your shoulders up with the bar. It could just be the camera angle.
Great pulling/squatting.