Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 06-17-2013, 01:45 PM   #31
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I find the deadlift to be very fickle from workout to workout, especially with increased volume and intensity. Sometimes the key for me is adding in rest or occasional variations, like low rack pulls.

Be curious to see how it treats you over time, and what if any changes you make.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2013, 01:58 PM   #32
1Strength
Deadlift Only Dude
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,018, Level: 17 Points: 1,018, Level: 17 Points: 1,018, Level: 17
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Training Exp: 9 years
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Dymatize Elite Whey
1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I find the deadlift to be very fickle from workout to workout, especially with increased volume and intensity. Sometimes the key for me is adding in rest or occasional variations, like low rack pulls.

Be curious to see how it treats you over time, and what if any changes you make.
meh used to be fickle for me. but I've been doing them consistently for many years now. I'm ok. If I hadn't had this injury foam rolling my lower back and hurting some tissues I'd be happy pulling 500+ week in and week out.

I also DL twice a week and the second session usually involves low rack deadlifts or snatch grip deads off the floor which I love. But it's very basic and bare bones right now...

My YouTube Channel
1Strength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:24 PM   #33
1Strength
Deadlift Only Dude
Uber Brawn

1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor

PULL-UPS, STEP-UPS & FRONT SQUATS - Mesocycle 58 Week 3

Time to ditch the labels for the workouts. I don't want to get caught in this little game because then I become a slave to the template instead of reveling in the flexibility of it.

Weighted Pull-ups:
+70 x 2
+70 x 2
+70 x 2
+80 x 2
Awesome! So today is gonna be all the heavy lifting for Weighted Pull-ups and then on Wednesday I will be doing volume work with +45

Step-ups:
35 x 10 x 5
SP = R
SDT Progression
That's it…it's time to reset I think. I'm not sure though…35 lbs in each hand for so many reps..I want to take it to 35 x 11 x 5 and then reset, I think.

Front Squats:
25 x 6
115 x 4
135 x 5
165 x 3
185 x 4
205 x 3
225 x 3
235 x 1 Paused
I know..it's weird to do Front Squats after Step-ups but I did it. Eric's suggested this idea to me a while ago, I've experimented once and I wanted to know if it could work again. It has. Infact, here's what I know and I know this is total anecdotal evidence: the day after I do my heavy Deadlifts; unlike a lot of people: I am never ever sore. I am just very stiff and a bit drained out but it is the stiffness that annoys the hell out of me. So, doing Squats right after Deadlifts is difficult when I'm so stiff. Step-ups eliminate this stiffness. They make me feel absolutely OK. So I'm gonna use this from now on.

Video:

My YouTube Channel
Old 06-18-2013, 03:48 AM   #34
1Strength
Deadlift Only Dude
Uber Brawn

I saw a question being asked in my newsfeed about whether Rack Deadlifts from above knee are good or not - there are all these questions about exercises like front squats, ssb squats, snatch grip deadlifts, etc etc and the thing is that it is not about deciding whether an exercise is a good or bad exercise. As long as it's safe (in the sense that it is not an overhead squat on a pair of kettlebells from the handles lol) all this is about tools: which tool will work when. Everything has it's place. There's nothing "bad" about rack pulls from below the knees or above the knees or at the knees or whatever. They are rack pulls - they make you pull the bar from a disadvantageous point where the bar is further away from your center of gravity. So at the knees would mean it is furthest then below knees is a less far out and above knees is closest but they all fall within a range. That is why they are all tools.

My YouTube Channel
Old 06-18-2013, 11:01 AM   #35
1Strength
Deadlift Only Dude
Uber Brawn

I'm going to start writing a little bit of what I plan on doing each week from now on. Eric's suggestion so that there is some order to the madness. This will also allow me to write down my ideas incase I forget them and such…plus I am hoping for discussion on this stuff as well.

This week I have only one workout left..tomorrow. I'll be doing Weighted Pull-ups for volume, Dumbbell Rows SDT (last week, I think) followed by Cable Rows, Shrugs and Overhead Shrugs and Facepulls. It'll be a fun workout.

Come next week, here's the plan.

Day 1 will be Deadlifts Honeymoon Period and working on 455. I'm trying to make a few small changes here let's see how they pan out.

Day 2 is gonna involve Weighted Pull-ups SDT style using a Base of +45 x 3 x 3. Next there will be some Dumbbell Rows. I've been doing SDT on these and I have this idea I want to run where I do something similar to EDT training… Instead of antagonistic muscles I want to try doing 2 various rows done back to back for a time limit. I'm thinking Dumbbell Rows 100 lbs and Deloaded Barbell Rows 135 lbs for 12 minutes using the same rules of EDT where goal is to add reps. I can run this for 3 weeks or so. But, I've done SDT Progression on DB Rows for only one cycle so I'm going to repeat this cycle for now. I'll be going back to Base @ 5 x 5 with 110 lbs this time. Next, I will do some Step-ups SDT Progression going back to a base of 5 x 5 with 40 lbs in each hand this time. After this I will do some Front Squats for good measure…nothing major. And if time holds, I will try doing some Cable Rows.

Day 3 should have been my second DL day of the week but I'm dropping second DL variation for the next 3 weeks. I'm going to do some Weighted Pull-ups for heavy doubles or singles first and then I will do some more Front Squats. I'll finish with Shrugs and Overhead Shrugs.

Day 4 is gonna be whatever day with pressing, etc.

I want to get my back healed up and strong again and I want to reintroduce Pistol Squats. The problem with Pistol Squats is that the small amount of rotation at the bottom of the movement results in my lower back becoming "loose" and that messes up my Deadlifts. So for now I will not be playing around with this. Best to be safe. BUT, whenever I do reintroduce them, I will put them on DL day itself because my back will already be tight after Deadlifts and I'll be risking a lot less on this day versus a day when my back hasn't been worked that much.

My YouTube Channel
Old 06-19-2013, 05:46 PM   #36
1Strength
Deadlift Only Dude
Uber Brawn

DUMBBELL ROWS, CABLE ROWS, SHRUGS, OVERHEAD SHRUGS & PULL-UPS - Mesocycle 58 Week 3

I was very very sore going into this workout…zero motivation to workout as well. I might have to revise my "plan" for the next week few weeks..I may have just added in too many things on Day 2. More on this later..

Dumbbell Rows:
100 x 10 x 5
140 x 5 x 2
SP = R
SDT Progression
This was amazing…Next week it will be time to reset.

Cable Rows:
120 x 10
130 x 10
140 x 8
Hit the mid-back nice and hard!

Shrugs:
135 x 10 x 2
I'm doing these for the first time since 2005 when I did Christian Thibaudeau's OVT Program.

Overhead Shrugs:
95 x 10 x 2
Gotta be careful with these!

Pull-ups:
BW x 10

Video:

My YouTube Channel
Old 06-19-2013, 06:20 PM   #37
1Strength
Deadlift Only Dude
Uber Brawn

I want to start by saying that a short while from now I want to do the 4 Squat program. After that I want to get back to doing Pistol Squats.

But I made an error in my plan earlier. I can't squeeze in 5 exercises on the day after Deadlifts: I will burnout.

So, here's the revision..

Day 1 Deadlifts as per plan of Honeymoon Period Modified @ 455

Day 2 Weighted Pull-ups SDT @ +45 x 3 x 3 , next is Step-ups SDT @ 5 x 5, Dumbbell Rows SDT 5 x 5 and Cable Rows.

Day 3 Weighted Pull-ups 4-5 sets heavy for doubles, triples and singles, Front Squats, Dumbbell Swings, Shrugs and Overhead Shrugs.

Day 4 Whatever pressing work, etc...

My YouTube Channel
Old 06-20-2013, 11:02 AM   #38
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Love to see heavy dumbbell rows.

Plan looks solid, smash.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:19 AM   #39
1Strength
Deadlift Only Dude
Uber Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Love to see heavy dumbbell rows.

Plan looks solid, smash.
I like my high rep heavy dumbbell rows too Lots of volume in total.

I added you on FB btw.

Thanks for dropping by!!!

My YouTube Channel
Old 06-22-2013, 05:26 PM   #40
1Strength
Deadlift Only Dude
Uber Brawn

I want to make a note of this, for this coming week's last workout: I have the goal of doing 4 pressing exercises for 3 sets each.

OHP 155 x 3 x 3
Floor Press 175 x 5 x 3
Unilateral OHP 65 x 5
Banded Push-ups No. 3 x 8

I am debating between making this a giant set or dividing them up into 2 supersets… OHP & Floor Press and Unilateral OHP & Banded Push-ups.

But yeah…this is something I want to do and then at the end I'll probably do 3-4 sets of Bodyweight only Pull-ups.

My YouTube Channel