Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member
Default Home gym chronicles, part III; seriously, you're too fat

My goals are changing, my training is changing, my life is changing, so it's time for a new log. I just got back from an awesome vacation back home, and unfortunately I let myself go a little. I'm noticeably fatter than I've been in a very long time. I'm also far stronger than I've ever been, and that's great, but I want to be a great powerlifter, and I can't commit to the kind of numbers I'd need to succeed at the level I want to if I'm in the 242 or 275 classes.

I'm also still in the Army, and they don't like it when you get too fat.

I'm also going to be training natural for a while. The Army did some lab work on me for a separate issue and my liver enzymes came back high, which is the result of my use of prohormones in the last few months. Until this clears up and the Army leaves me alone I'm going to have to avoid the dark side.

I've got some interesting issues to deal with as well, including bone spurs in my right heal which keep me from doing almost any conditioning work. I can't sprint, I can't push/pull a sled, I can't run at all or even walk to far or I'm limping for days afterwards. Add to this the fact that I'm currently rehabbing some weird strain I have in my left shoulder and I'm very limited in what I can do.

The plan is a slow cut with lots of 3-8 rep sets to build my rep strength and try to improve my conditioning while also burning more calories than I would with the 1-2 rep sets on which I've been focusing. I'll also be training raw almost exclusively to avoid aggravating my injuries with the heavy loads that come with training in gear.

I want to get my weight below 220 and get my raw squat over 500. Once I do both of these things I'm going to reward myself with a new squat suit which should get my single ply deadlift over 600 and my squat into the mid 600's.

I'm also long winded.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2013, 07:48 PM   #2
Soldier
Max Brawn

Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

First workout with the new plan/goals.

Squat-
45x5
95x5
135x3
185x3
225x3
Add belt
275x3
315x5
315x5
295x5
295x5
275x5

Wide stance good mornings with chains-
135x8
135+60x8
95+60x12

Leg extensions with a hard squeeze at the top and slow eccentric-
35x20
50x20
35x20

Huge difference from what I've been doing. I feel my quads today far more than I've felt them in a very long time. I'm going to be crazy sore tomorrow, but this is good. More reps, more volume. My quads are a big weakness for me, so this is exactly what I need.

I had 2 leftover burgers for breakfast, 2 ham sandwiches for lunch, and I'll probably have a burger for dinner. This may be a lot for some, but for me it's a good low calorie day.

I'm feeling good. It's time to really kick this whole powerlifting thing into a new gear. No more screwing around.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:54 PM   #3
Soldier
Max Brawn

It's KILLING me to not be able to train my upper body the way I want to. I'm really hoping that my shoulder starts feeling better soon, but either way I'm going to do an upper body session before this week is out, even if it's very light.

My legs are more sore today than they've been in months, even days after squatting last. The difference doing 5 rep sets makes in comparison to doing 1-2 rep sets is surprising. I'm going to do a deadlift/back session tomorrow. I'm still going to be sore when I get to it, but that's ok.

I'm committing to the Apex predator diet developed my Jamie Lewis. Basically it's carb cycling combined with calorie cycling. I'm not sure how I'll do with it, as I've always been very sensitive to carb depletion, but for now I'm 100% committed to it. I'm going to give it my all and see how it works out.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:09 PM   #4
Soldier
Max Brawn

Dinner-
8 small bone-in pork chops from wild pigs (I know, epic, right?)
2 chicken breasts, cordon bleu style
half a package of ground beef, browned and mixed with yellow mustard for flavor.

I think I'm going to like a lot of this diet. I'm going to modify it slightly though. I'm going to eat eggs for breakfast and lunch most days. The reason is that eggs are much cheaper than protein powder. Simple as that. I'm already going to be spending a lot on my meaty dinners, so I have to cut corners if I want to do this right.

I already have my first carb reefed planned. I'm going to hit up a local Asian buffet that I really like and I'm going to destroy that shit. But before I do that I have to earn it by doing what I have to do on the low carb days.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:25 PM   #5
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

good lifting and eating!

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:34 PM   #6
Soldier
Max Brawn

Thanks J! I'm feeling good about my training. I'm excited about working with these heavier weights and seeing what I can do naturally for a little while.

I've decided that I'm going to be training squat and squat variations almost exclusively. I still can't do much with my upper body, and my shoulder just isn't there yet. I REALLY want to get my raw squat over 500, so I'm going to put almost all of my energy and recovery into the squat. My deadlift should come along for the ride since the muscles are essentially the same, but the squat is my focus.

Here's what I did today before I had my dinner of 20 something wings tossed in melted butter, garlic, garlic salt and a touch of olive oil;

Wide stance squat-
45x3
95x3
135x3
185x3
225x3
Add belt-
275x3
315x2

Wide stance box squat with belt and wraps-
315x5
365x3
365x4

Normal stance squat with belt and wraps-
315x3

I thought about going back up to some heavier weights at this point, but I decided not to push it since my legs were already feeling really sore.

Leg extensions-
35x20
65x10
90x10

My hamstrings were so sore today that as I lowered myself I could feel them tightening just like I feel my suit tightening when I have it on. Training while you're sore makes it much easier to feel which muscles are working, which is actually very helpful when doing form work like I was doing today.

Next time I suit up I'm going to actually bring my stance back in a little and see how that works out, although I'm not actually sure when I'm going to suit up again. My raw squat is basically my singular focus at this point, along with losing some weight/fat.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:57 PM   #7
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Funny how a change in rep range is so debilitating!

About your shoulder injury: I've been struggling with one myself for months. Overhead pressing was impossible, and any flat bench. Someone suggested decline, and light DBs with decline was fine. Then light DB press overhead started to be possible. Then heavy DB press was OK. hen flat flyes were OK, then heavy DB bench and finally bar bell bench press and bar overhead are getting back to normal.

Your injury might be totally different of course, but it's just a thought. It's taken a long time for mine to recover but it's getting there.

Burning more calories through reps: I don't think it's going to do much going from very low reps to quite low reps! I went through the same thought process, but I just don't think the increase in calorific expenditure is going to be significant. What might happen though is that as your conditioning goes up, you're able to burn calories faster. I think how much conditioning you're able to do is likely to be a much more significant variable.

Good luck with your goals.

Powerlifts: 500/363/573 @ 220 belt only
front squat: 403
dips: bodyweight + 176 x 4
military press: 232
Tannhauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:53 PM   #8
Soldier
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
Funny how a change in rep range is so debilitating!

About your shoulder injury: I've been struggling with one myself for months. Overhead pressing was impossible, and any flat bench. Someone suggested decline, and light DBs with decline was fine. Then light DB press overhead started to be possible. Then heavy DB press was OK. hen flat flyes were OK, then heavy DB bench and finally bar bell bench press and bar overhead are getting back to normal.

Your injury might be totally different of course, but it's just a thought. It's taken a long time for mine to recover but it's getting there.

Burning more calories through reps: I don't think it's going to do much going from very low reps to quite low reps! I went through the same thought process, but I just don't think the increase in calorific expenditure is going to be significant. What might happen though is that as your conditioning goes up, you're able to burn calories faster. I think how much conditioning you're able to do is likely to be a much more significant variable.

Good luck with your goals.
I don't really expect to burn any more calories by doing higher rep sets. Unfortunately, however, that's pretty much all I can do for conditioning at this point because my foot kills me if I do anything that involves repeated flexing of the calf, which means just about any conditioning movement there is.

I do have to say, however, that it's actually easier to burn more calories the worse your conditioning is. If your body is less efficient than it will take more energy to do the same thing someone with better conditioning is doing. I'm probably burning a ton of calories. I'm insanely out of shape right now, lol.

My shoulder feels better most of the time, but since I actually injured it benching that's really the main thing that sets it off, which SUCKS because that's really the only upper body movement I care about.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:29 PM   #9
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

Enjoy the new plan and all the squats. Hope you feel better.

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:06 PM   #10
Soldier
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteDreams View Post
Enjoy the new plan and all the squats. Hope you feel better.
Thanks my friend. I ALWAYS enjoy my time with the iron. :strongsmiliete4 :