MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Thanks fellas! Apparently that tire is 600 lbs give or take. It is 650-75 new and is about halfway worn so 600ish is about right. Pretty cool.

Haha. That 20 rep set was fast because I wanted it over with!! Those are brutal. The 15 reps go pretty well, but those last 5 just wear you down!

Wasn't feeling great today. Not sure why, so just did the basics and got out of there. Still a good workout as I pushed the big lifts hard, but no accessory stuff.

warmup: hip and leg stretch, some squat jumps for height

Cleans:
3x 135
2x 5x 115 (Straight up cardio! Go to 3x 5 next week, then add weight)

Squat:
315x 1
235x 10, 6, 6 (reps made, add weight)

CGBP:
225x 1 pause
195x 10, 7, 6 (reps made, add weight)

Sumo:
295x 1, 315x 1 (barely)
215x 7, 7, 7 (reps made, add weight)

Sled push, empty:
2x 25 yds or so. Just breaking these in slowly. Will add and lengthen as I go.

235x 10:
195x 10:
295, inner bumpers are 35s:
315, added 10s on outside:
I video'd these to see if I am doing these right or if anyone has any advice. I have the hardest time breaking the floor, then the lift goes pretty smooth. Well, unless I lose my balance like I did with the 315. Sometimes when I lock out Sumo, I feel like I might fall forward or backward.

The cues I use are to turn my feet and knees out, arch, chest up, shoulders loose, get tight, lower to get my hands on bar, grab it and start pushing feet through the floor. Once it comes up, I just think move hips through. Just mentioning this as it might be usefu information to some of you more experienced types.

Bonus, Sled Push! I know more of a canter than a gallop, but you gotta start somewhere:

I got that sled from the guy who gave me the tire. It's really solid and works well. Going to work that in everyday. Interval/Speed on training days and Heavy/Slow on recovery days

There you go. Onward and upward. Haven't really lost any weight as yet either. I'll give it another week of this level of calories and meals, then start cutting back slightly if weight/belly doesn't come down any. We'll see.

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96

Last edited by MikeM; 07-08-2013 at 03:35 PM.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2013, 04:12 PM   #242
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Up, up and away. Stay strong Mike.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:24 PM   #243
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Yeah Mike deadlifts look good. My only suggestion is just to push for as much hip drive as possible. Can never have enough.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:24 PM   #244
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Sumos look good. Got to get those lats tight to keep the bar in tight and stop it wheeling around. Better than mine
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:25 PM   #245
OneMorePlate
Max Brawn
Points: 4,036, Level: 40 Points: 4,036, Level: 40 Points: 4,036, Level: 40
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: 30+
Fav Supp: Red Meat
OneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master member

Loving the Strongman training Mike.

As for the pulls here's my take.
Your hips are a bit high drop the hips about an inch open your hips up more this will push your crotch closer to the bar which will in turn put your torso in a more upright position for exploding up.
As I said initially this is a new movement for you reps will prove far more productive in the first few weeks, I wouldn't even do singles at this point. Your body may need a little stretching to get into better position. I laid on the floor face down with my knee's splayed out as far as they would go with my feet together. I've also been working with other stretches for IT bands, knees ankles ect... So lower to moderate percentages will allow your body adapt to the new demands your putting on the body while allowing to open your hips up more with less risk. In a few weeks you will be ready for higher percentages.
My 2 cents
OneMorePlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:55 PM   #246
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Thanks BtB. Hip drive can always get better and I need to make sure I am accelerating as the bar goes up so that should help.

Thanks Al! Haha. Might look a little better, but you're pulling a lot more than me! So, Lats need to be much tighter. I see that now. Really I need my whole body a lot tighter. I'm working on that, but I almost feel like I will black out sometimes. That feeling contributed to my dropping the bar quickly on the 315. Losing your balance and brain getting foggy, not good. But defintely need tighter lats to keep the bar in tight and stop the helicoptering!

OMP. I agree completely. I only did the singles this time as I figured it would show where I am going wrong better. I don't think my flaws come out very much with lighter weights. Good tip on opening up the hips more and getting them closer to the bar. Dave Tate talks about that too. I definitely need some more flexibility as that position is not easy for me at all and when I hit my limit I think it tips me forward some and I lose leverage. All good stuff. Thanks!

So reps it is. I'll use a lighter last warmup single, then backoff for the three work sets with a 20 rep goal. And add some stretches to my recovery stuff.

Thanks fellas.

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:41 PM   #247
KD5NFW
13 in 15
Max Brawn
Points: 12,466, Level: 73 Points: 12,466, Level: 73 Points: 12,466, Level: 73
Activity: 37% Activity: 37% Activity: 37%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: yes
Fav Supp: meat
KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!

Nice session Mike. Cracked up as you went flying by with the sled
KD5NFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:25 AM   #248
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Nice session Mike and a big pat on the back for the sled pushing. That was a big score and you are going to have so much fun with that thing. My advice, start slow and use it progressively, adding laps and then weight. Once a month do a challenge session with it where you absolutely destroy yourself.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:27 AM   #249
moeheep
Max Brawn
Points: 9,512, Level: 65 Points: 9,512, Level: 65 Points: 9,512, Level: 65
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: 1.5 years
Fav Exercise: DEADS
Fav Supp: Condense
moeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite member

Keep pushing Mike....Things looking good...Sled huh?? Better you than me!!

Best Meet Lifts:
Squat = 325
Bench = 210
Dead = 353
Total = 888

The iron is there during my times of happiness, sadness and anger. The iron is there available through the 4 seasons and inclement weather. The iron is there to either comfort me or motivate me. The Iron manages to show me how strong I am or how humble I need to be. The iron does not yell, but it always demands respect. The iron is not a disciplinarian, but when disrespected, I feel it for a long time. The iron does not love or hate, but we definitely share a strong bond. And no matter how far I stay away or for how long, the iron is there, waiting to be lifted.
moeheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:23 PM   #250
TomGJD
Max Brawn
Points: 4,721, Level: 43 Points: 4,721, Level: 43 Points: 4,721, Level: 43
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Training Exp: 4
Fav Supp: Creatine
TomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beast

Great work man! Very nice sumo work.