Old 06-14-2013, 09:32 AM   #321
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
Thanks, guys! I'll get lots of pictures! Yep, Suzdal is where the actual competition is. It turned out to be a fucking SIX HOUR DRIVE from the airport in Moscow. Fuck me that sucked. 16 powerlifters in a 15 passenger van with all our luggage. No AC. 35 degree heat (Like mid 80s maybe?) Fucking awful.
In Soviet Russian the roads drive you.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2013, 11:01 PM   #322
Paradox
Max Brawn

Training Exp: July 2011 (competition)
Training Type: Sheiko
Paradox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beast

Well!

My first World's lifting experience is done. What a truly amazing experience. Coming in to it I had low expectations. My goal was to PB a bit and to not finish dead last. I matched both these! I had 4 personal bests and came 8th (almost 7th! missed that by 5kg) out of 10. Not bad finishing 8th in the world in my weight class lol.

Squats

Coming in, I was having an awful time with my squats. Which sucked, because it had been a very good lift for me for the last little while. Our Canadian coach taught me a little something about bar placement. Essentially, he as learned from international events, talking with other lifters, etc, that the majority of Russian lifters don't go high bar, they don't go low bar, but they place the bar so it is at the highest point on the back that still covers the whole back. Basically, you put the bar where there isn't a shelf. It felt weird as fuck, but either I was having a spot on day, or it really helped.

Originally had 200kg as an opener, but warm ups went very well and bumped it to 205kg.

Smoked that, went to ... I don't even remember. 217.5 maybe? Smoked that, and then went 232.5kg for an all time best. Nailed it with plenty in the tank! 240kg would have been a good 3rd that day. 2.5kg personal best squat.

Bench

Bench had been going VERY well in training. I opened 2.5kg shy of my PB and killed it. All of World's the international judges were giving very quick start and very quick press commands. Of course, I had the only Canadian judge and I had long as fuck commands.

Took 142.5kg for a 5kg meet PB. The fucking spotter didnt hand off to me, and I was already set up in my arch so I just unracked it myself. The head judge made me straighten my elbows an ungodly amount, but still smoked it.

Took 150kg for a 12.5kg PB on my third. I nailed it, but it was definitely a good third attempt, another 2.5kg might not have went, but that just means excellent coaching for hcoosing that attempt.

Deads

Warm ups went awful. The carpet in the back room was sliding every where and it was impossible to set up. Lowered my opener from 240kg to 230kg. Got it handidly. Went ...I forget what on my second, hahaha.

For my third, I went 262.5kg for a 4.5kg meet PB and nailed it. It was a fight. Again, a very good third attempt.

Overally, had whatever 2.5 + 12.5 + 4.5kg is as a total PB, set 3 new national records at a World's event and went 9/9 at World's. Finished in 8th place and almost grabbed a 7th. VERY, VERYYY Happy with how this all went.

Thanks everyone for following along, MAB and Steve for the sponsorship support, and everyone for their advice, support, etc.
Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:35 PM   #323
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 20 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

Holy fuck Dave, I expected you to kill it, but you completely annihilated the meet. You certainly did us Canadians & Mabbers proud.

It's commonplace for at least one wrinkle thrown at us at meets. I also had an issue with carpeting in Vegas. We had to squat on it. You really do have incredible focus to get the job done well in such an exotic place that most of us have never been to.

Congratz on all the big badass PR's You certainly worked hard for everything you got. I for one am so happy and proud of you.
Bench: 286 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1262 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 300 lbs
Deadlift: 520 lbs
Total: 1315 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:37 AM   #324
Paradox
Max Brawn

Paradox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatter View Post
Holy fuck Dave, I expected you to kill it, but you completely annihilated the meet. You certainly did us Canadians & Mabbers proud.

It's commonplace for at least one wrinkle thrown at us at meets. I also had an issue with carpeting in Vegas. We had to squat on it. You really do have incredible focus to get the job done well in such an exotic place that most of us have never been to.

Congratz on all the big badass PR's You certainly worked hard for everything you got. I for one am so happy and proud of you.
Thanks, Jim! I wasn't expecting that kind of meet with how training felt, the huge travel distance, jet lag, shitty food, weight loss, etc etc. But it turned out great!

We had to warm up squats on the shitty carpet as well. It was impossible to torque your feet in to the ground.

I had some awesome coaching from literally the best bench presser I've ever seen. He's a Canadian, Connor Lutz. 83kg junior, benched 183kg raw for a world record. Just fucking crazy. Joel Boulianne also coached for a good bit of it, and taught me about the bar placement. I generally think I can coach myself better than others can, but I learned a lot from these guys.

Cant wait to get training again... which will be tonight in Suzdal lol
Old 06-15-2013, 03:49 AM   #325
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Awesome work mate. Proud of you.
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:16 AM   #326
Paradox
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtL View Post
Awesome work mate. Proud of you.
Thanks, brother!

Some really strong brits here, shit.

120 and 120+ happening soon
Old 06-16-2013, 08:38 AM   #327
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

It's all the tea we drink
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:18 PM   #328
markievicz
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 2.5yrs
Fav Exercise: OHP
markievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master member

Congrats Dave, that was some mighty fine work, well done mate. Bring forth the videos!

Twitter: @markievicz5
YouTube: Markievicz5
markievicz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:24 AM   #329
ravimolasaria
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 10
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Whatever makes me strong
ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!

Very very strong show Dave ... Keep up the great work buddy ... Very proud of you ...
Old 06-17-2013, 05:04 AM   #330
Paradox
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by markievicz View Post
Congrats Dave, that was some mighty fine work, well done mate. Bring forth the videos!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravimolasaria View Post
Very very strong show Dave ... Keep up the great work buddy ... Very proud of you ...
Thanks, guys!

I'll bring the videos out once I get home! In Moscow for the next little bit.

---

Training from Saturday (Day after competing)

Squat
145kg x 3 x 3 (beltless)

CG Bench
80kg x 3 x 5 sets

Conventional deadlift
80kg x 3 x 5 (beltless)